Rankings

I’ve been listening to a couple of regional projections podcasts this morning, and it seems to be a consensus that the winner of the coastal, gets a national seed. It would take a complete collapse from both Miami and VT to keep both out of the top 8.

That surprised me. I thought that if ND and Louisville kept rolling, they would get in there. And I don’t see 3 ACC teams getting top 8. The way Louisville started is really hurting them. But that could change if they sweep UVA and VT.

Im guessing the winners of the Coastal and Atlantic get national seeds.
I think VT and UM could both be national top 8 seeds. There's no reason they couldn't if both take care of business. Let's say VT wins both series against Louisville and Duke 2-1 in each and Miami does the same to FSU and ND. Neither team is moving down. It's likely VT would move up 1 spot and UM might move up 2 spots having beaten 2 ranked teams to close out the regular season. That's how it should be as UM and VT are the two best teams in the ACC that happen to be in the same division.

UM is the only team in the ACC that hasn't been swept in a series. Our guys just need to take care of business and everything else will work itself out.

Advertisement
RPI is pretty fickle to just look at rankings because 1. You don't see the pts separating teams and 2. RPI isn't just how you do, it's how your opponents do (most of ours had bad weeks).

There's as much of a gap in RPI between us and A&M at 10 as there is between us and Mercer at 15. And with how close a lot of teams are in RPI pts, a 3-0 week for us could definitely get us back in the top-10. Lose a game (even ND St has a better RPI than expected), and there will be another slide though
NDSU has a better RPI than UCF. They beat FAU and lost to FGCU and Nebraska by 1 run. Can't take that team lightly.

I think VT and UM could both be national top 8 seeds. There's no reason they couldn't if both take care of business. Let's say VT wins both series against Louisville and Duke 2-1 in each and Miami does the same to FSU and ND. Neither team is moving down. It's likely VT would move up 1 spot and UM might move up 2 spots having beaten 2 ranked teams to close out the regular season. That's how it should be as UM and VT are the two best teams in the ACC that happen to be in the same division.

UM is the only team in the ACC that hasn't been swept in a series. Our guys just need to take care of business and everything else will work itself out.
Yea I think it was assumed that ND or Louisville had a good last couple weeks. Would be hard to have VT ranked over them if they finished within a game of VT and won the Atlantic. Getting a 2 seed looks better than a 3 in the ACCT.

NDSU has a better RPI than UCF. They beat FAU and lost to FGCU and Nebraska by 1 run. Can't take that team lightly.

No doubt. We're fortunate they're a decent team though. We usually play someone like Bethune this weekend with a Quad 4 RPI where even a sweep hurts our RPI.

I haven't enjoyed or followed our Canes much recently. Can anyone sorta explain the "landscape" that is college baseball these days? How good is this team?

Advertisement
FSU was jealous of our Stetson loss and decided to pick up one of their own. That’ll drop them from 10th to 15th.

Speaking of awful RPI games, Texas A&M will lose 25 RPI points on Warren Nolan just for showing up to play UT Arlington tonight. That would make them roughly even with us pending other results.

Edit: Texas A&M dropped below us. We’re up to 12th. Sometimes the best RPI gift is not playing at all.

Last edited:

Latest D1 baseball bracketology. Has us the #5 overall seed. I think these guys are usually pretty good. Gotta think if we win the last 3 series, we have to have a national seed locked up.

Latest D1 baseball bracketology. Has us the #5 overall seed. I think these guys are usually pretty good. Gotta think if we win the last 3 series, we have to have a national seed locked up.
Not a great draw at #5 if it fell out this way, with Texas Tech and UF in the bracket.

Advertisement

Incredible the jumps A&M and Auburn made in the past 3 weeks. I agree they are hosts, but idk that they have done enough to be national seeds.

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – Wednesday's baseball game between No. 5 Virginia Tech and Marshall – as originally scheduled for 3 p.m. in Huntington, West Virginia – has been cancelled due to overnight precipitation in the Tri-State area.

The contest will not be rescheduled.

I smell a rat - Marshall's RPI is 210. Haven't they heard of tarps?

Advertisement
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – Wednesday's baseball game between No. 5 Virginia Tech and Marshall – as originally scheduled for 3 p.m. in Huntington, West Virginia – has been cancelled due to overnight precipitation in the Tri-State area.

ND cancelled their whole upcoming weekend series vs William & Mary. I'd be surprised if the explanation is anything other than not wanting to risk a bad RPI loss

I’m shocked this doesn’t happen more

Advertisement
ND cancelled their whole upcoming weekend series vs William & Mary. I'd be surprised if the explanation is anything other than not wanting to risk a bad RPI loss
I sure hope the Committee takes this stuff into account when doing their seedings. Teams should not be rewarded for refusing to play scheduled games. We certainly could have benefitted from having our starters get this coming weekend off.

Big RPI moves this weekend. Todays game was so important to win. VT drops bc they played Nova, Southern Miss loses a series to ODU. Auburn blows a couple games and moves down. A&M should lose today and drops bc they played USCe anyway.

4-2 over our last two series and midweek wins, almost ensures us a top 8. Would take multiple sweeps from other schools to keep us out.

Big RPI moves this weekend. Todays game was so important to win. VT drops bc they played Nova, Southern Miss loses a series to ODU. Auburn blows a couple games and moves down. A&M should lose today and drops bc they played USCe anyway.

4-2 over our last two series and midweek wins, almost ensures us a top 8. Would take multiple sweeps from other schools to keep us out.
We haven’t been great on the road against decent teams and we haven’t been good against FSU in a while. I’m afraid 3-3 is a most likely conference finish.

UL-Wake game 3 ends in a tie due to travel curfew.

Edit: I had the teams wrong for this, it was Notre Dame that had two games with VT cancelled earlier this year, Louisville still plays VT next weekend.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back