Rankings

The ACC tournament should go to something similar to the SEC format w a bye for teams #1 - 4 in the regular season standings. Don't give the Selection Committee reasons to use these useless tournaments as excuses to be subjective w NCAA post-season seedings. It's utterly absurd to weigh 2 - 3 games at the end of the year much more heavily than the totality of a season of 55 games (especially in baseball).

Imagine if MLB said, "the last two weeks of the regular season, wins will count as 15 wins per game", because that's the comp when the NCAA puts too much emphasis on these tourneys. For the bubble teams, fine, but not for host sites please. I know I am getting ahead of myself, but I have heard some of these Baseball Committee Chairmen speak after the selection show, and it's embarrassing.

Advertisement
The ACC tournament should go to something similar to the SEC format w a bye for teams #1 - 4 in the regular season standings. Don't give the Selection Committee reasons to use these useless tournaments as excuses to be subjective w NCAA post-season seedings. It's utterly absurd to weigh 2 - 3 games at the end of the year much more heavily than the totality of a season of 55 games (especially in baseball).

Imagine if MLB said, "the last two weeks of the regular season, wins will count as 15 wins per game", because that's the comp when the NCAA puts too much emphasis on these tourneys. For the bubble teams, fine, but not for host sites please. I know I am getting ahead of myself, but I have heard some of these Baseball Committee Chairmen speak after the selection show, and it's embarrassing.
Been saying this for a while. Pool play sucks. Even when we’re a top 4 and only have to win one game, it still sucks.

The ACC Coaches have said they prefer this format to the SEC one because it makes it less taxing on pitching staffs, because you play a max 4 games.

The SEC tournament, I agree though, gives teams the chance to snag hosting spots just by making deep runs and pumping up their resumes. LSU in 2019 is a good example

I will be honest I really don't care about the ACC tourney.. Sure it would be nice to win, the NCAA's is all that counts,

Gino interview at around 54:00. Kudos to the College Baseball Nation guys btw. They’ve had us ranked higher than anyone dating back to preseason.

Advertisement
Gino interview at around 54:00. Kudos to the College Baseball Nation guys btw. They’ve had us ranked higher than anyone dating back to preseason.

They’ve created an interesting metric that modifies RPI to the committee’s past behavior. Note the delta for Georgia Tech and FSU versus the RPI.

They’ve created an interesting metric that modifies RPI to the committee’s past behavior. Note the delta for Georgia Tech and FSU versus the RPI.
This is great. Preciate that. Nice to see a more real time committee type ranking of teams like, as you noted, FSU and GT.

Advertisement
The wild part is if you just look at DK’s betting odds for the championship this year, FSU is still sitting at +3000, Miami is +3500. I don’t know what would make you feel more confident about FSU’s return value.
College baseball odds as a whole are atrocious. I grabbed Tennessee at +1700 and again at +1400 after they swept Ole Miss on the road. Think they’re like +600 now…move so late.

The ACC Coaches have said they prefer this format to the SEC one because it makes it less taxing on pitching staffs, because you play a max 4 games.

The SEC tournament, I agree though, gives teams the chance to snag hosting spots just by making deep runs and pumping up their resumes. LSU in 2019 is a good example
I’m actually going to the SEC tourney with some former college teammates in May. Excited to see the format and just baseball all day in general - and will be wearing Canes gear to every game, especially the UF ones lol

I agree - this looks a lot more reasonable than pure RPI. They promoting their metric to the Committee?

Advertisement
Dropped to #5 in D1 Baseball rankings, not too bad.

67B3A5BE-F96A-4BEF-B5CE-32E1D86CB5D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Seems like there's a gap between TN and everyone, then another big gap between Or St, Ok St, Arky, and Miami at 2-5 and everyone else, at least as far as rankings/resumes go.

We got some cushion with the 13-2 start and carnage elsewere in the ACC. Win our home series, don't get swept on the road, and take care of business vs BCC, Stetson, and ND St and we'll very likely win the ACC and be in great shape for a Top-8 seed

Advertisement
Seems like there's a gap between TN and everyone, then another big gap between Or St, Ok St, Arky, and Miami at 2-5 and everyone else, at least as far as rankings/resumes go.

We got some cushion with the 13-2 start and carnage elsewere in the ACC. Win our home series, don't get swept on the road, and take care of business vs BCC, Stetson, and ND St and we'll very likely win the ACC and be in great shape for a Top-8 seed
That's the formula, and it never hurts to be on another winning streak at the end of May. I'd love to see Palm get a freshening as well, if the opportunity presents itself.

Va Tech coming in at #8 and rightfully so. I didn't get to watch Saturday's game because of some early Easter festivities, but after the first two games of our series, I couldn't help but think that some number 1 seed in a regional was going to get very unlucky to have to deal with them as a 2 seed. But it appears they're working their way up the rankings rather quickly.

Last edited:
Va Tech coming in at #8 and rightfully so. I didn't get to watch Saturday's game because of some early Easter festivities, but after the first two games of our series, I couldn't help but thinking that some number 1 seed in a regional was going to get very unlucky to have to deal with them as a 2 seed. But it appears they're working their way up the rankings rather quickly.
Said the same thing during Thursday and fridays game. A team that mashes like they do is terrifying in post season. They’re not just a long ball team either, it will translate to Omaha if they get there

Advertisement
Back