Randy "Macho man" Russell

Advertisement
Yasir Abdullah & Camron Davis will also be in this class, when it's all said & done.

Is Yasir a De here? All his film is rushing the passer and nothing taking drops. I ask because he's listed 195.

Is he ok as a lb in our system ?

This is what I wonder as well. People swear by him but all I see is DE highlights and if we were looking at him at just DE it's very meh. Hopefully he shows more as a senior.

The kid runs a 10.6 in the 100m and played FS before he transferred to CC. He will be a beast SAM in this system.

Okay cool he runs fast and is supposedly an unreal athlete all I'm saying is id like to see highlights showing he can play the LB position.

Yasir Abdullah & Camron Davis will also be in this class, when it's all said & done.

Is Yasir a De here? All his film is rushing the passer and nothing taking drops. I ask because he's listed 195.

This is what I wonder as well. People swear by him but all I see is DE highlights and if we were looking at him at just DE it's very meh. Hopefully he shows more as a senior.

The kid runs a 10.6 in the 100m and played FS before he transferred to CC. He will be a beast SAM in this system.

Okay cool he runs fast and is supposedly an unreal athlete all I'm saying is id like to see highlights showing he can play the LB position.
There are a bunch of guys you can say the same thing about. One who comes to mind is Tavares Gooden. This kid's a better athlete, more fluid and faster. There may be a curve, but a good LB coach should be able to turn those raw skills into a good SLB. Someone needs to teach him to get into his drops. For the record, I'm speaking about Yasir Abdullah; not Randy Russell.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20170218-213752.jpg

Luke Stampini posted this on Twitter they thought Russell was for sure committing to them....that little response below "cane" was me 2 days ago.....I troll that guy any chance I get.

That's someone that negatively recruits Miami....never seen a writer do that but I guess when your desperate you'll do anything in Gainesville

Linebacker recruiting has been awkward under Diaz. You can't argue with the results and he is obviously doing work, but Steed and the triangle are all versatile linebackers and former staff guys.

Jennings and Wilder are guys that just rush the passer and run downhill on film which is good but they seem to be pursuing one trick ponies there OR they think they can coach the rest.

All Ryan Shazier did in high school was rush the passer.

Don't over analyze it. They want athletes. They want kids that can run. Of course you'd like to see a kid that's played LB his whole life but at the end of the day some of the best athletes in high school rush the passer. Not every high school has access to 6'3"+ 230+ "true" DE's so they use fast LB types to come off the edge.

Understood. Just think there should be more balance. Not every one being a raw athlete. But I got your point. I'm not saying it's doomed.

Advertisement

I thought he was the last of a dying breed at Miami until the Pastor came back home. And let's not forget, the dude defended the honor of Willie Cooper's ***, opening fire from a house he "rented" from a coach, and somehow remained in school under Donna's watch. That is up there with Sean Taylor's 2003 FSU game and Edge's '98 UCLA game as the most impressive individual performance in Canes' history.

Advertisement

I thought he was the last of a dying breed at Miami until the Pastor came back home. And let's not forget, the dude defended the honor of Willie Cooper's ***, opening fire from a house he "rented" from a coach, and somehow remained in school under Donna's watch. That is up there with Sean Taylor's 2003 FSU game and Edge's '98 UCLA game as the most impressive individual performance in Canes' history.

and can't forget the valiant effort in the great FIU brawl of 2006.

View attachment 42937

Luke Stampini posted this on Twitter they thought Russell was for sure committing to them....that little response below "cane" was me 2 days ago.....I troll that guy any chance I get.

That's someone that negatively recruits Miami....never seen a writer do that but I guess when your desperate you'll do anything in Gainesville

3 star my ***!

Advertisement

Linebacker recruiting has been awkward under Diaz. You can't argue with the results and he is obviously doing work, but Steed and the triangle are all versatile linebackers and former staff guys.

Jennings and Wilder are guys that just rush the passer and run downhill on film which is good but they seem to be pursuing one trick ponies there OR they think they can coach the rest.

Don't over analyze it. They want athletes. They want kids that can run. Of course you'd like to see a kid that's played LB his whole life but at the end of the day some of the best athletes in high school rush the passer. Not every high school has access to 6'3"+ 230+ "true" DE's so they use fast LB types to come off the edge.

Understood. Just think there should be more balance. Not every one being a raw athlete. But I got your point. I'm not saying it's doomed.

I understand your concern. I used to be the same way. I wouldn't sweat it too much though.

i don't think miami sees russell as a drop candidate at all. i bet they really really like him. you guys who think he's a borderline take should go watch/listen to some interviews with banda and diaz about what kind of safeties they want. banda has said repeatedly that their top priority is guys who can tackle in space and who play and hit with aggression. the one thing that jumps out from russell's tape is that he tackles with an insane amount of aggression. for diaz and banda i bet taking russell was a no brainer.

this

Advertisement
Not ideal, I guess they really like him to take him this early. Hopefully this isn't another Scott and Dingle situation

What's not ideal about Russell? Not every non 5 star who commits here is Scott or Dingle.

It's a stacked year at DB. He has a good reel, but would think they would have waited a bit longer. no not every three star is a Scott of Dingle but we should have a pick of the litter and this is somewhat of a headscracther. Let's see how it plays out.

Coaches might see it differently. I don't think they are reaching, not this early. I believe some of these kids who are "headscratchers" to some might really be priorities for the staff.

I wonder what the Camron Davis commitment means as far as Chris Curry.

I understand your concern. I used to be the same way. I wouldn't sweat it too much though.

Maybe they get to look at other skills if they come to one of our camps.

and can't forget the valiant effort in the great FIU brawl of 2006.

But still remember how he got trucked by that WVU RB.

Advertisement
Back