Question about the potential of next years offense

D

deleted20764

I'm a firm believer that the injuries to key players on offense and ****** QB play are the main contributors to this teams troubles.

I don't buy the "five decades old playbook with 3 plays" bull****.

CMR calling plays and using his playbook was good enough to get us to #2 a short year ago before the volume of significant injuries to playmakers made it impossible for our pedestrian QB to overcome.

That said next year this team should be very solid.

Barring a ton of injuries do you have faith in Perry as both a QB and a leader?

I see flashes of a great QB out of him and I'm shocked at how good a runner he is considering he's not particularly quick. Seems to have great vision and instincts.

Off the field he's clearly immature not concerned at all that people see it.

It must be tremendously difficult for a coach to mold someone like Perry into a consistently good QB on the field.

Advertisement
One more thing before his turns into another derpy thread about outdate plays here are our opponents and our teams total offensive rank 2017-2018 season. As you can see the plays were just fine but the injuries mounting at the end derailed the offense:

2017-18 total offensive rank per game as season goes on(our weekly rank and our opponent that week):
23 BCC
13 TOL
6 Duke
11 FSU
27 Gtech
20 Cuse
21 NC
24 VTech
25 NDame
30 UVA
35 Ptt
44 Clem
58 Wisky

CMR calling plays and using his playbook was good enough to get us to #2 a short year ago before the volume of significant injuries to playmakers made it impossible for our pedestrian QB to overcome.

This is the scary perspective and logic I hear all the time and no doubt is used inside the Hecht. There are countless examples of coaches who had recent 'success' yet continue to evolve.

You seemingly don't acknowledge the incredible bounces we had go our way (and home games) to get that cup of coffee at #2 in '17, and then don't acknowledge plain evidence our offense is missing half a dozen elements seen in almost every successful offense.

If your standard is incremental improvement from what we saw this year, I'm guessing we'll see some improvements in '19. If you have a higher standard - like production matching our talent advantages relative to our opponents - I think you'll be disappointed.

If Berrios was on the team this year, UM has at least two more wins. He bailed Rozier out repeatedly. He had great hands, blocked above his weight class and ran great friggin routes. *Edit* I forgot to add he wouldn't have muffed a punt inside the 20 yrd line nor pouted about anything. <cough> Thomas <cough> <cough>.

Knuckle head players getting suspended or not living in the film room didn't help this year either. I agree mostly, OP. Having receivers repeatedly drop passes, running backs fumble multiple times in a game and THE WORST FRIGGING PUNTING GAME I'VE EVER SEEN tend to result in losses. This team will be better next year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
One more thing before his turns into another derpy thread about outdate plays here are our opponents and our teams total offensive rank 2017-2018 season. As you can see the plays were just fine but the injuries mounting at the end derailed the offense:

2017-18 total offensive rank per game as season goes on(our weekly rank and our opponent that week):
23 BCC
13 TOL
6 Duke
11 FSU
27 Gtech
20 Cuse
21 NC
24 VTech
25 NDame
30 UVA
35 Ptt
44 Clem
58 Wisky

So there's no possibility that opposing DCs started to figure out what Richt was doing?

Advertisement
like production matching our talent advantages relative to our opponents

That's the whole thing right there. It's not that we have perfect personnel or aren't affected by injuries, it's that we still have more talent than 4 of 5 teams we lost to. Like a lot more talent. It's not even close.

So yeah, injuries and all that. But even given those factors, we're still underperforming and there's no rational way that's not about coaching.

Offense has been bad since he has been here. Only reason we had some success last year was because of Braxton and other WRs making some amazing plays. As well as some lucky plays down the line. Richt must make changes if he wants any chance of being successful and keeping his job.

I think there is a simple solution to our offensive woes.

We just need a quality play called on 1st and 2nd down, so that our 3rd down play is manageable.

K.I.S.S. = keep it simple stupid

PS, I am just kidding, we cannot make it any simpler!!!!

Advertisement
If Berrios was on the team this year, UM has at least two more wins. He bailed Rozier out repeatedly. He had great hands, blocked above his weight class and ran great friggin routes. *Edit* I forgot to add he wouldn't have muffed a punt inside the 20 yrd line nor pouted about anything. <cough> Thomas <cough> <cough>.

Knuckle head players getting suspended or not living in the film room didn't help this year either. I agree mostly, OP. Having receivers repeatedly drop passes, running backs fumble multiple times in a game and THE WORST FRIGGING PUNTING GAME I'VE EVER SEEN tend to result in losses. This team will be better next year.
We’ll be better than 7-5? Bold prediction

Advertisement
Yup.

Every blowout win (outside of the Savannah States) has been cause of the defense scoring TDs or putting the offense inside the red zone with TOs.

We just blew out VT and didn’t have that. We also blew our Pitt the following week without it, overcoming about eight drops.

Harley, Hightower, Wiggins, Njoku, Pope, Ezzard must be ready, although I don't have high expectations for that group.

Jordan, Mallory, Homer, Dallas should figure heavily into the "air attack."

Advertisement
Back