Question about the potential of next years offense

It was effective, but an offense is only as good as its qb. Do you think that Rosier can seriously take the leap back that he did or it was something else? That perhaps for the first 10 games last year, Richt was able to mask his deficiencies but it was only a matter of time before there was enough video where someone would figure it out? It looks like Pittsburg was that team and everyone else has copied the blueprint. It was time to move on from Rosier, and Richt was hoping Perry would be that guy. Remember the consensus was that Perry would start as a freshman last year and never did. He was worked into the offense this year and eventually took over. I think Richt himself knows that he needed to move on but Perry also has to do his part and we saw a few weeks ago where Perry said he wasn't studying film earlier this year where has been doing it more now. I'm not excusing Mark's predictable play calling, or even the need for an O/C, but if our qb isn't doing his homework, it does hamper the offense and play calling.
The offense still wasnt great with kaaya, richards, njoku, coley, herndon and etc.

Advertisement
I'm a firm believer that the injuries to key players on offense and ****** QB play are the main contributors to this teams troubles.

I don't buy the "five decades old playbook with 3 plays" bull****.

CMR calling plays and using his playbook was good enough to get us to #2 a short year ago before the volume of significant injuries to playmakers made it impossible for our pedestrian QB to overcome.

That said next year this team should be very solid.

Barring a ton of injuries do you have faith in Perry as both a QB and a leader?

I see flashes of a great QB out of him and I'm shocked at how good a runner he is considering he's not particularly quick. Seems to have great vision and instincts.

Off the field he's clearly immature not concerned at all that people see it.

It must be tremendously difficult for a coach to mold someone like Perry into a consistently good QB on the field.

I don't completely disagree with you. I do think CMR is not a total incompetent otherwise he would have been fire a long time ago from Georgia and I also agree with your statement of the "five decades old playbook with 3 plays". Were I disagree is about last year assessment. Other than Virginia Tech and Notre Dame, we had difficulty beating other P5 schools even before the Pitt game and the injuries. We almost lost to Georgia Tech and FSU and didn't look very sharp at the beginning of the season either.

I also think he screwed up big time in bringing in his son as QB coach. I think this is the main issue of the debacle we had this year. This is his doing and the administration, he probably insisted on doing the play calling and his son being the QB coach and the administration agreed to be able to bring him on board. Since most offensive coordinators are QB coach, he named brown as his OC with no prior experience to justify doing so. His son has no business being the QB coach of a power 5 team, he has no experience and he cant recruit. Our QB are not developing properly and lack discipline and that falls on the QB coach. We need an experience QC/QB coach like Jedd Fish that was able to turn around Jacorry Harris in one season.

I'm a firm believer that the injuries to key players on offense and ****** QB play are the main contributors to this teams troubles.

CMR calling plays and using his playbook was good enough to get us to #2 a short year ago before the volume of significant injuries to playmakers made it impossible for our pedestrian QB to overcome.

I see flashes of a great QB out of him and I'm shocked at how good a runner he is considering he's not particularly quick. Seems to have great vision and instincts.

It must be tremendously difficult for a coach to mold someone like Perry into a consistently good QB on the field.

The offense doesn't have to be anymore than average. The schedule for 2019 is pathetic. The only real team we play is Florida. Our defense will shut down 95% of the teams we play next year (Central Michigan, Virginia, VT, GT, Pittsburgh, Duke, Louisville, Fla St. and North Carolina) which means our offense just needs to score more than 21 points in a game. Without Richt falling back on his best friend Rosier next year he will have to ride Perry or Williams which will result in more confidence for either player. And with Lingard, Davis, and Deejay along with Jordan in the passing game, we should be able to score 21 points even if Richt is calling the plays.

Overall, Golden's teams had significantly better offensive production than Richt's teams. You should let that sink in. Last year's team wasn't even in the top 35 for yards per play (5.8). This past year's team is not even in the top 75 for yards per play (5.3). Golden had three straight seasons where the team averaged over 6 yards a play (6.3, 6.4, 6.5), which were all statistically ranked in the top 20. Richt's first year here is the only year at Miami that his team has averaged over 6 yards a play (6.1).

Now before you start talking about Richt at Geogia, you should know that before Bobo started calling plays, Georgia was f-ucking awful on offense. Possibly even worse than here. Richt had two years where his teams averaged 5 yards and 5.1 yards per play which were good for 71st and 58th overall at the time. Those numbers would be good for 89th and 99th this year. Statistically and factually, Richt is a garbage OC.

its extra hard when your qb coach needs to be coached up himself

Advertisement
QB PERRY / WILLIAMS / WELDON
RB HOMER / LINGARD / DAVIS / BURNS
UT DALLAS
FB GEORGE
WR HARLEY / POPE / WIGGINS / EZZARD
WR CAGER / HIGHTOWER / NJOKU / PAYTON
LT SCAIFE / BROWN
LG BOULWARE / REED
C GAYNOR / MAHONEY
RG DONALDSON / HILLERY
RT CAMPBELL / HERBERT

This is the scary perspective and logic I hear all the time and no doubt is used inside the Hecht. There are countless examples of coaches who had recent 'success' yet continue to evolve.

You seemingly don't acknowledge the incredible bounces we had go our way (and home games) to get that cup of coffee at #2 in '17, and then don't acknowledge plain evidence our offense is missing half a dozen elements seen in almost every successful offense.

If your standard is incremental improvement from what we saw this year, I'm guessing we'll see some improvements in '19. If you have a higher standard - like production matching our talent advantages relative to our opponents - I think you'll be disappointed.

bingo.......... that's why I keep saying that slurpers are not real fans, their like moles implanted to root for our program to crumble from within

The offense still wasnt great with kaaya, richards, njoku, coley, herndon and etc.

Kayaa had two years of bad coaching and then was learning a new system his last year. If your qb isn't good, your offensive weapons struggle. Tom Brady has won 5 Super Bowls with nobodies as his wide receivers. He's made a living with undersized, white guys. Randy Moss was an all star when he had a good qb. Without one, he wasn't that good.

Advertisement
The offense doesn't have to be anymore than average. The schedule for 2019 is pathetic. The only real team we play is Florida. Our defense will shut down 95% of the teams we play next year (Central Michigan, Virginia, VT, GT, Pittsburgh, Duke, Louisville, Fla St. and North Carolina) which means our offense just needs to score more than 21 points in a game. Without Richt falling back on his best friend Rosier next year he will have to ride Perry or Williams which will result in more confidence for either player. And with Lingard, Davis, and Deejay along with Jordan in the passing game, we should be able to score 21 points even if Richt is calling the plays.
You might not be aware of thus, but we lost to 3 of those teams and next year's offense looks to be worse that this year's.

3 years and poor QB play. Who recruited 3 of them? Who coaches them? Freshmen QB,s all around ths country did good with much more complicated offenses and ours can not learn the play book. I call BS. Doubt if anyone on this board knows why any of our QB,s had a suspensions but I would be willing to bet 90% coaches would have not even considered suspensions . I question Rights ability to understand ths present generation coming out of high school.. Yes players made mistakes but most comes back to coaching or lack t of good coaching.

You might not be aware of thus, but we lost to 3 of those teams and next year's offense looks to be worse that this year's.
I'm not one of these rah-rah members of the Ostrich Crew around here, but 2 of those 3 losses were with Malik running the offense for the majority of the game.

Getting rid of Malik is addition by subtraction. Next year's offense will be better based off that alone.

3 years and poor QB play. Who recruited 3 of them? Who coaches them? Freshmen QB,s all around ths country did good with much more complicated offenses and ours can not learn the play book.

Well Perry came out a few weeks ago and said he wasn't studying any film. Perhaps at least part of the problem is lack of maturity on the qb. The one position that you need maturity and leadership. Perhaps Richt's repetitive, predictable play calling is at least in part b/c of the qb. I'm not giving Richt a free pass here, but it might not be all his fault.

Advertisement

LOL our offense is worse next year? Really? Perry or Williams as our starter is a upgrade over Rosier. Lingard, Davis and Deejay are a three headed beast. George had one year to get ready. Our WR have a off season to get their crap together and if we land Hasselwood, he would be a starter right away. Jordan and Mallory with another offseason are going to be monsters for defenses to have to deal with. Our OL is a weak point but so was it this year. If we left Perry in VA and let him take his lumps there is no doubt that we don't lose at Duke and maybe not even at Virginia.

And let me reiterate this once more, every team on the 2019 schedule is going through their own struggles and their struggles make ours look like a minor pit stop. I will be putting money on the hurricanes going 9-1 or better...easy money.

Advertisement
The offense last year was not efficient. When your qb hovers around 50% pass completion that's not efficient. We we dreadful in the red zone last year. The difference between last year and this is, last year when we hit on more big play passes.

Your right Richt did hide Rosier's deficiencies last year... for a while. There was no way he should have believed he was going to do that this year. Richt and his dumbass son screwed the qb situation up badly this season. I understand starting Malik for LSU but we had cupcakes after that. He's the OC it's his responsibility to have the qb ready to roll.

Richt won't change, the way he runs things isn't going to change. Unless Perry or Williams can become something special, like first round draft prospect special, we might look even worse next year.

Harley, Hightower, Wiggins, Njoku, Pope, Ezzard must be ready, although I don't have high expectations for that group.

Jordan, Mallory, Homer, Dallas should figure heavily into the "air attack."

That was my thoughts. We are pretty pedestrian at wide receiver and lack a true number one at the position. We lost a lot not having Richards and while Thomas was a threat, he still had size limitations.

The WR out of Georgia would fill that number one spot nicely. Wide receiver is the easiest position to transition from the high school game. Hightower might be a viable one aa well, but I'm not sure yet.

With better routes and concepts, they all improve. Some have very questionable hands as well.

The OL, lots of work needed there.

RB, strength of the offense.

QB, all units and the playbook will determine how productive we can be here.

Many questions, that's all I can say about the offense next year.

If Berrios was on the team this year, UM has at least two more wins. He bailed Rozier out repeatedly. He had great hands, blocked above his weight class and ran great friggin routes. *Edit* I forgot to add he wouldn't have muffed a punt inside the 20 yrd line nor pouted about anything. <cough> Thomas <cough> <cough>.

Knuckle head players getting suspended or not living in the film room didn't help this year either. I agree mostly, OP. Having receivers repeatedly drop passes, running backs fumble multiple times in a game and THE WORST FRIGGING PUNTING GAME I'VE EVER SEEN tend to result in losses. This team will be better next year.

This man knows his football and this next recruiting class will be the class that means business. They not coming in like many in the 2018 class who have now established themselves as bandwagoneers, those are the ones who just commited because of the streak but came in and started being crybabies instead of putting in the work to be Great. To many frauds after games chanting "its Great to be a Miami Hurricane, but if you not putting in the work to be great, STOP CHANTING IT! Thats why ill have big respect for those who choose to sign in this next class, they not coming in on a bandwagon train, they see the record, and they saying to theselves, im coming in to help take this team to the next level with hardwork!

Our receiving corp bout to be put on notice cause jp coming in not playing with em and if jadon coming in, that'll be a nice 1, 2 punch, i got j.payton being the homerun hitter out the 2. I know perry or jdub are going to help push each other to the next level if they got pride. This program is getting healthier and healthier each recruiting class.

Advertisement
Back