Quarterback and pass rusher

Advertisement
Man spence probably wasnt even 200 running around making plays. Perryman and was bout 210 as a freshmen. Lb isn’t that hard to play right away especially in this defense.

McCloud did start vs pitt last year and he looked good. The guy has 2 years of starting experience. I think LB will be fine and the group definitely will be more athletic than what we have had recently
I was going to mention Spence and Perryman by name, because I assumed that was who you were referring to. Aside from Pink and Shaq, they are the only guys that came to mind over the past ~15 years.

If memory serves me correct, both of these guys were 3 stars, but the insiders told a different story - athletically they didn't test off the charts, but they had that "it" factor in SFla since they were young pups. Anyone who watched them in HS and before knew they were going to be special, regardless of recruiting rankings.

Pink, Shaq and McCloud started out of need. They were very solid... for freshman. As Fr, none were - or ever became - the difference-makers that Denzel and Spence were.

I haven't followed recruiting much this year, so I am admittedly speaking from the 2nd hand knowledge I've picked up from these boards. But I see no immediate difference-maker coming in, ala Spence or Denzel. I have no confidence in McCloud, nor will I anoint Jennings/Sneed/etc, until I see otherwise.

Another caution - what you gain in "athleticism," you may lose in power at the LOS. I am not saying that athleticism at LB is a bad thing in modern football, although I believe it to be overstated bc it is totally matchup/opponent dependent. But if Shaq was getting washed out against the run on a fairly consistent basis, what are these smaller, "athletic" LBs gonna do to shed blocks of OL that get to the 2nd level? We have Mich State on the schedule next year. They are gonna try to run it down our throat and control the clock, B1G style football (that'll probably give @awsidooger a hardon). Even in the Coastal, I don't see a huge need to basically put 3 strikers at LB (a bit of hyperbole on my part there); the 4-2-5 with 1 striker is good enough, unless we move to the Big 12.

I also lack faith in Manny to adjust schematically to hide any flaws of the LBs. He has his style of defense, and he is going to play it, no matter the personnel. That same attitude just got Enos fired and blackballed. Manny's scheme puts a lot of stress on the LBs because our DL is getting upfield so fast and often. You need brains, power and speed to effectively play LB in this defense, IMO. You can't really mask the deficiencies. Or, at least Manny hasn't shown to be able to.

Furthermore, Manny hasn't shown the ability to consistently and effectively make in-game adjustments since he got here. He is better in the off-season (no surprise), but not in-game. McCloud got torched in coverage every week until he got benched. Now we lose not only the LBs, but Finley and Bandy (who had a down year, but who we still trusted to man up against the best opposing WR), both of whom did help mask the deficiencies of Shaq & Pink - although I would argue that this is more of a testament to the individual players than a feather in Manny's cap.

Can one or more of these young guys step up? Sure. But if we didn't get Lashlee and King, and the billboard crowd was still calling for the heads of Manny and Blake, I bet you would be much more inclined to agree with me that LB is a huge, gaping hole. And our HC is directly responsible for that.

Last edited:
I was going to mention Spence and Perryman by name, because I assumed that was who you were referring to. Aside from Pink and Shaq, they are the only guys that came to mind over the past ~15 years.

If memory serves me correct, both of these guys were 3 stars, but the insiders told a different story - athletically they didn't test off the charts, but they had that "it" factor in SFla since they were young pups. Anyone who watched them in HS and before knew they were going to be special, regardless of recruiting rankings.

Pink, Shaq and McCloud started out of need. They were very solid... for freshman. As Fr, none were - or ever became - the difference-makers that Denzel and Spence were.

I haven't followed recruiting much this year, so I am admittedly speaking from the 2nd hand knowledge I've picked up from these boards. But I see no immediate difference-maker coming in, ala Spence or Denzel. I have no confidence in McCloud, nor will I anoint Jennings/Sneed/etc, until I see otherwise.

Another caution - what you gain in "athleticism," you may lose in power at the LOS. I am not saying that athleticism at LB is a bad thing in modern football, although I believe it to be overstated bc it is totally matchup/opponent dependent. But if Shaq was getting washed out against the run on a fairly consistent basis, what are these smaller, "athletic" LBs gonna do to shed blocks of OL that get to the 2nd level? We have Mich State on the schedule next year. They are gonna try to run it down our throat and control the clock, B1G style football (that'll probably give @awsidooger a hardon). Even in the Coastal, I don't see a huge need to basically put 3 strikers at LB (a bit of hyperbole on my part there); the 4-2-5 with 1 striker is good enough, unless we move to the Big 12.

I also lack faith in Manny to adjust schematically to hide any flaws of the LBs. He has his style of defense, and he is going to play it, no matter the personnel. That same attitude just got Enos fired and blackballed. Manny's scheme puts a lot of stress on the LBs because our DL is getting upfield so fast and often. You need brains, power and speed to effectively play LB in this defense, IMO. You can't really mask the deficiencies. Or, at least Manny hasn't shown to be able to.

Furthermore, Manny hasn't shown the ability to consistently and effectively make in-game adjustments since he got here. He is better in the off-season (no surprise), but not in-game. McCloud got torched in coverage every week until he got benched. Now we lose not only the LBs, but Finley and Bandy (who had a down year, but who we still trusted to man up against the best opposing WR), both of whom did help mask the deficiencies of Shaq & Pink - although I would argue that this is more of a testament to the individual players than a feather in Manny's cap.

Can one or more of these young guys step up? Sure. But if we didn't get Lashlee and King, and the billboard crowd was still calling for the heads of Manny and Blake, I bet you would be much more inclined to agree with me that LB is a huge, gaping hole. And our HC is directly responsible for that.
Huff gone show you. 6’3 215 and can run and cover

We now have a complete team. A top 10 Defense for the last 4 years and the potential to me a middle tier Offense instead of dead last. We also added a kicker which should have easily given us 3 additional games last year. It is a new team. God bless.

Advertisement
Huff gone show you. 6’3 215 and can run and cover
Huff and Brooks are gonna be better than Shaq an Pink!! Sam Brooks is a baller and I'm glad he's playing Middle Backer he's gonna be one **** of a leader in D! Huff is going to dominate and the comment dude made about losing strength at the LOS for athletisism needs to go check our DLINe were even stacked at DT with 2 starters an 3 sencond year kids that's going to be ready to eat! I'm not gonna disrespect Shaq or Pink but Brooks and Huff are the real deal!!

Dont sleep on Phillips either. I think he will be the highest rated (star wise) player on the rooster. That's going to be an insane pass rush.

What killed me about Diaz being an idiot in year 1 and not hiring a spread OC is that the "havoc defense" is most effective with a lead. You want to force the opposing O to have to pass to catch up, which means the high risk defense has lots of turnover opportunities. When the opponent can run a balanced offense (because score is close), the defense has to play safe and its not built to function like a Saban defense. Hence the tendency to let opponents score on last drives or get off the field in critical situations. We all saw it except the coach making 3 mil per year. Now this is the complimentary offense you want with the defense. If we don't win 11 games, something is wrong with the coaches.

Advertisement
Now we have optimism.

Signing day will get mopey

Spring ball will get everyone pumped

Someone will transfer/not qualify/ get hurt and it will get mopey

Fall camp and early gimmes will get everyone excited again like “we back”

Conference play comes and ????

These are the two most important positions in football. They have the biggest impact on winning, they’re the hardest to find, they get paid the most and they go the highest in the draft.

Miami has a true college star at QB for the first time in 17 years. A month ago in Shreveport, Miami’s QBs were a blooper reel. Now, we have a highlight reel. Teams will need to gameplan against King's running and vertical throwing. The fit and timing could not be better. It took decades of slow death to embrace the spread. King and Lashlee will provide electroshock therapy.

And then there’s the pass rush. This was already the strength of the team. We’ve finished 7th, 2nd and 2nd in sack percentage nationally the past three years. It’s hard to be bad when you rush the passer like that. The only other team that finished Top 10 the past three years was Clemson. By adding Roche, you pair the best returning pass rusher in the nation with another Top 5 guy. And Phillips might be the most talented of the bunch.

Manny failed for a lot of reasons. Several of those issues remain. But he has no more excuses at the two most important positions on the field.
Brad could have been a star in a Rashlee type offense. Brains and arm. Brad doesnt have mobility but he has accuracy

Yes, there was hype over our QB transfer situation last year as well but we're talking about a guy in King who actually has a strong college record, unlike Tate who was more than anything a great potential out of high school.

You guys are deliberately trying to be obtuse. There are still huge questions about this team w/r/t the OL and more importantly overall discipline and leadership but it's hard not to get excited to have landed a guy who has 50 TDs in a season under his name.
What the fvck did you just call me??

Advertisement
Question for DMoney. Could you give us a breakdown of the EE's coming in with their chances of being in top 2 on depth chart. Love the fact so many coming in early

Man spence probably wasnt even 200 running around making plays. Perryman and was bout 210 as a freshmen. Lb isn’t that hard to play right away especially in this defense.

McCloud did start vs pitt last year and he looked good. The guy has 2 years of starting experience. I think LB will be fine and the group definitely will be more athletic than what we have had recently

Spence was 195 pounds as a freshman and that's generous.

Advertisement
Dont sleep on Phillips either. I think he will be the highest rated (star wise) player on the rooster. That's going to be an insane pass rush.

What killed me about Diaz being an idiot in year 1 and not hiring a spread OC is that the "havoc defense" is most effective with a lead. You want to force the opposing O to have to pass to catch up, which means the high risk defense has lots of turnover opportunities. When the opponent can run a balanced offense (because score is close), the defense has to play safe and its not built to function like a Saban defense. Hence the tendency to let opponents score on last drives or get off the field in critical situations. We all saw it except the coach making 3 mil per year. Now this is the complimentary offense you want with the defense. If we don't win 11 games, something is wrong with the coaches.

Pass Rushers rated as high as Jaelen Phillips was rated do not bust. Even the "busts" are at least useful players that are in the rotation at minimum or low end starters.

But healthy versions of those elite star pass rushers without personal baggage? 9/10 are excellent collegiate players.

As long as Phillips is healthy, he's going to be a monster. He flashed elite play early on UCLA before the injuries hit.

Rousseau is Rousseau and he's going to be used all over the line. Roche can anchor and be a three down player. Phillips will be brought along a little slower, but he could be a monster breakout for Miami. Would love to see, late in the season, Roche and Phillips on the edge, Rousseau and Nesta on the interior on third down. Thats out of control if everyone lives up to their potential.

Pass Rushers rated as high as Jaelen Phillips was rated do not bust. Even the "busts" are at least useful players that are in the rotation at minimum or low end starters.

But healthy versions of those elite star pass rushers without personal baggage? 9/10 are excellent collegiate players.

As long as Phillips is healthy, he's going to be a monster. He flashed elite play early on UCLA before the injuries hit.

Rousseau is Rousseau and he's going to be used all over the line. Roche can anchor and be a three down player. Phillips will be brought along a little slower, but he could be a monster breakout for Miami. Would love to see, late in the season, Roche and Phillips on the edge, Rousseau and Nesta on the interior on third down. Thats out of control if everyone lives up to their potential.
This x 1000. Fully expect that on 3rd Downs for sure. Both Phillips and Rousseau are equally big enough to play inside if need be on a nascar package on that certain down. However Phillips on an edge is just freak show stuff just given how gifted and how fast he is off the edge. Very excited to see what he does, truly believe he has as high of a ceiling of any player in the country, he’s that talented

Advertisement
Back