Quarterback and pass rusher

The way I understood it, his team started out 1-3 and then he and the starting WR decided to shirt. Blindsided everybody.

Don’t know if he left because of the team started 1-3 or because he didn’t like the new system

Does it really matter? Kids will take advantage of the rule. Just like the recent trend of kids around the country not wanting to play in meaningless bowl games. See Christian McCaffrey.

Advertisement
But his HC gave his blessing and didn't say one bad word about him. Now of course he probably didn't think he would jump ship when he ok'd this move..but I don't see "quitter" when I see this situation.
What was his HC supposed to say? It was a public relations nightmare and all the national morning sports shows we’re talking about it. The coach HAD to say that.

The coach had to ride with it, especially since 1. King said he’d return and 2. It was a rule.

What was his HC supposed to say? It was a public relations nightmare and all the national morning sports shows we’re talking about it. The coach HAD to say that.

The coach had to ride with it, especially since 1. King said he’d return and 2. It was a rule.

As much bad luck as we have had over the last decade..feeling sorry for Houston is the last thing on my mind. ***** them. LOL. I'm glad he F'd them over. There I said it. You think other teams feel bad for us when they ***** us out of recruits year after year? LOL. You think Saban and Kirby Smart are sitting back wondering about "loyalty" when they snatch south florida recruits every year after those same recruits say they rep the "305 till I die". Yeah right.

IDGAF how he left Houston. All I care about is what he does with the O&G on.

Does it really matter? Kids will take advantage of the rule. Just like the recent trend of kids around the country not wanting to play in meaningless bowl games. See Christian McCaffrey.
It don’t matter to me, because honestly I don’t take wins and losses as personally as I used to. Kids must be a little selfish and do what’s right for them, especially given how much money is in the game, when they see none of it.

But leaving as the senior starting QB and team leader just feels different to me. That said, rules are rules.

Knowing our luck...

Offense will turn around. Defense will be the weakness. We have some “talent” and proven commodities on the DL. Unfortunately we are extremely green at LB and once agin have major depth/talent issues at DB.

We have the exact same question marks as last season add in LB and deduct a capable QB.
Lb aint a hard position to play as a freshmen. We have had several freshmen through the years play well there. I think mccloud and huff will start. Safety I’m good with hall, bolden, smith, and carter as the top 4. Corner I think will be fine with couch and williams stepping up.

Advertisement
Knowing our luck...

Offense will turn around. Defense will be the weakness. We have some “talent” and proven commodities on the DL. Unfortunately we are extremely green at LB and once agin have major depth/talent issues at DB.

We have the exact same question marks as last season add in LB and deduct a capable QB.

After the first series or two, Brooks settled in and had a very nice bowl game. Long and athletic and fast he will be more than fine. McCloud should be healthy and he has a lot of starts. The questions are around Jennings, Joyner and Steed and whether they are 100%? I am not as down on our returning corners as most.

Still no OL so without that the QB is going to be running for his life.... Hope he has a quick release to get rid of that pigskin before he gets drilled

Knowing our luck...

Interesting comment about talent at db, depth may be an issue but it’s not like we have had more than what we will have number wise for each of the last 4 years since they have been here. Always have had low corner #s due to attrition, losing malek young , frierson moving positions and taking 3 grad transfer/juco corners . In terms of talent i like what blades showed a lot this year and hall flashed at times and bolden was coming on very strong before his injury. Need ivey or someone else to step up big time but we aren’t devoid of talent back there imo

Advertisement
Lb aint a hard position to play as a freshmen. We have had several freshmen through the years play well there. I think mccloud and huff will start. Safety I’m good with hall, bolden, smith, and carter as the top 4. Corner I think will be fine with couch and williams stepping up.
and in this defense we only play two LB's most of the time.

These are the two most important positions in football. They have the biggest impact on winning, they’re the hardest to find, they get paid the most and they go the highest in the draft.

Miami has a true college star at QB for the first time in 17 years. A month ago in Shreveport, Miami’s QBs were a blooper reel. Now, we have a highlight reel. Teams will need to gameplan against King's running and vertical throwing. The fit and timing could not be better. It took decades of slow death to embrace the spread. King and Lashlee will provide electroshock therapy.

And then there’s the pass rush. This was already the strength of the team. We’ve finished 7th, 2nd and 2nd in sack percentage nationally the past three years. It’s hard to be bad when you rush the passer like that. The only other team that finished Top 10 the past three years was Clemson. By adding Roche, you pair the best returning pass rusher in the nation with another Top 5 guy. And Phillips might be the most talented of the bunch.

Manny failed for a lot of reasons. Several of those issues remain. But he has no more excuses at the two most important positions on the field.
Good to see you optimistic. I can't get there this time. The memory of to many "and then they took the field" are terrorizing my brain. I am fairly certain our staff(pick and since Butch guys left) is more than capable of wrecking the best of players even guys like Jim Kelly or Bernie could become unknowns under their guidance.

Knowing our luck...

You forgot your add the part about winning just enough games to get Manny a five year extension.

Advertisement
Manny Diaz should let Lashlee be the HC of the offense & Diaz should just oversee (& reduce Blake Baker’s role) the defense. He’s not a good enough to run the entire operation

Advertisement
Lb aint a hard position to play as a freshmen.

Strong disagreement here.

I’d argue that, mentally, LB is the hardest position to learn aside from QB (esp MLB). Physically, the position group is probably 3rd hardest (behind OL and DL) to play when young and physically underdeveloped.

Our depth is thin to begin with. Our slotted starting MLB was a striker who couldn’t get on the field last season. The OLBs have limited experience, at best. Our LB coach just had a nice off-season as HC, but I still haven’t seen anything that leads me to believe he can coach LBs up on the field.

Shaq and Pink has weaknesses that got exposed at times, but make no mistake - they were smart, experienced football players that will be sorely missed. The aggressive nature of our DL puts a lot of stress on our LBs. For how bad they looked to the naked eye at times, Shaq and Pink both graded out well in pass coverage. I fear we will get picked on with play action and draw plays.

Give me a LB before an OL. I’ll roll with our OL with another off-season of experience/conditioning, a new coach, and a scheme that protects them. I’m optimistic there will be a significant uptick there. I’m petrified about our LB situation.

I’m happy that we got some good transfers on the roster. However, I’m still concerned about the foundation of the program. I hate to be negative, I just don’t see a program being built with transfers. I hope I’m wrong and Manny gets this fixed.

Strong disagreement here.

I’d argue that, mentally, LB is the hardest position to learn aside from QB (esp MLB). Physically, the position group is probably 3rd hardest (behind OL and DL) to play when young and physically underdeveloped.

Our depth is thin to begin with. Our slotted starting MLB was a striker who couldn’t get on the field last season. The OLBs have limited experience, at best. Our LB coach just had a nice off-season as HC, but I still haven’t seen anything that leads me to believe he can coach LBs up on the field.

Shaq and Pink has weaknesses that got exposed at times, but make no mistake - they were smart, experienced football players that will be sorely missed. The aggressive nature of our DL puts a lot of stress on our LBs. For how bad they looked to the naked eye at times, Shaq and Pink both graded out well in pass coverage. I fear we will get picked on with play action and draw plays.

Give me a LB before an OL. I’ll roll with our OL with another off-season of experience/conditioning, a new coach, and a scheme that protects them. I’m optimistic there will be a significant uptick there. I’m petrified about our LB situation.
Man spence probably wasnt even 200 running around making plays. Perryman and was bout 210 as a freshmen. Lb isn’t that hard to play right away especially in this defense.

McCloud did start vs pitt last year and he looked good. The guy has 2 years of starting experience. I think LB will be fine and the group definitely will be more athletic than what we have had recently

Advertisement
Back