QB With Best Arm In UM History.....

Coker certainly tried pounding that square peg into a round hole far too long. Man, that was frustrating.
I don't recall Covington being as downright bad as Berlin was in stretches.

I'm always going to give Berlin a few extra credit points for that UiF game and (as was mentioned) Clappy really mismanaged him. That said, I'd gladly take Covington right now going into this season.

Advertisement
I know people will question me putting Covington on the list...........Don't
**** no, it's Kenny Kelly, guy threw gyrocopters. Baseball, that's another story.
Staff gave up on Kelly & started to break in Dorsey.
Prescient move eh?.

Costa???....Maannnnn Stop...TERRIBLE arm....if he had ANY arm...we wouldn't have lost to Neb in 95.....He missed two EASY TDs in that game....Jonathon Harris is STILL wide open streaking down the field....What did Costa do??...Underthrow him by 15yds...same as the 2nd...Neb CBs were NO match for the Speed of UMs recievers....ANY....and I'm talking Jacory...Wright...Brock...Morris etc...Hits JH in stride.....The only good thing about Costa's arm, was when he jumped in the stands at Temple...and threw a right cross at a dude who was harassing family members...(he was from Philly)

Seriously, I never understood the claims that Costa had a rocket arm. It never showed up in live action.

I can't comment on Mira because he was before my time.

But I do know that Vinny could sling it on a rope about 70 yards with a simple little flip of the wrist.

Smartest qb - jim kelly
luckiest qb - ROsier
strongest arm - morris
drunkest qb - rosier
skinniest qb - J12
biggest game qb -Dorsey
fastest qb - yearby

Looks like Rosier is the best

Advertisement
Seriously, I never understood the claims that Costa had a rocket arm. It never showed up in live action.

LOL...Costa threw the ball like He was throwing a 20# medicine ball.

And His deep balls, OMG, threw em' straight up in the air, it's like nobody ever told em' to throw it up AND out.

Yes, Costa threw the ball straight up in the air when he threw it downfield. He would've thrown a bunch more picks if Yatil Green hadn't been out there to go up and get it.

My Top 5....
*Testeverde (There is No Doubt)
* Jim Kelly
* Morris
* Scott Covington (Don't Laugh...Kid had a Howitzer...)
* Kenny Kelly...
That being said....I think it was @Matador that said Mira Sr could throw a ball through a wall....
Nope. Testeverde is 1b for sure but youre forgetting (if all ur saying is arm strength)by far the strongest arm here was kyle wright. Insane arm strength. Just couldnt dumb it down. The rest ill agree with but id put frank costa in front of scott. Like some stated & i completely forgot stephen morris had a monster arm.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Costa???....Maannnnn Stop...TERRIBLE arm....if he had ANY arm...we wouldn't have lost to Neb in 95.....He missed two EASY TDs in that game....Jonathon Harris is STILL wide open streaking down the field....What did Costa do??...Underthrow him by 15yds...same as the 2nd...Neb CBs were NO match for the Speed of UMs recievers....ANY....and I'm talking Jacory...Wright...Brock...Morris etc...Hits JH in stride.....The only good thing about Costa's arm, was when he jumped in the stands at Temple...and threw a right cross at a dude who was harassing family members...(he was from Philly)
The way i heard it, his family were beating up the Temple fans.
He had about 40 of His fans at the game. Stadium was basically empty.
Costa beat the Nollies in 94,, he gets a seat in our Pantheon of Nole Killers.
Have a cigar Mr Costa..

No sir. Frank did have a monster arm. His problem was hes the only other qb we ever had as a starter besides malik whos such a moron. He couldnt process zilch on the field. Overthink every possible situation. And you cant bring nebraska up like that & not do the same for vinnys crooked *** taking pay offs against penn st... or torreta with arizona or alabama. Atleast bama was stacked that year.

It's not that arm strength is the most overrated measure of a QB, it's that...wait, it actually is that it's the most overrated measure. Seriously, anybody who would take strength over accuracy, decision making, intelligence or being a natural leader is just stupid. It's a great tool to have, but it's one of the least important.
Hence kenny mother freakin dorsey!

Oooh, getting some inside info on Vinny tanking the Fiesta Bowl on purpose. I knew this thread was gonna be a winner.
Let's get to the bottom of this one once and for all.

Advertisement
Pretty Good isn't the word...Absolute rifle....unfortunately when your laying down in a Fetal position 90% of the time...Arm strength is meaningless...
I try to explain to people he played one one of the worst um teams outside of the golden era imaginable.

I try to explain to people he played one one of the worst um teams outside of the golden era imaginable.

I always thought Kyle Wright had a big arm. But something just seemed off with his delivery. He would sort of sink down and slowly release the ball. It was weird.

Advertisement
No sir. Frank did have a monster arm. His problem was hes the only other qb we ever had as a starter besides malik whos such a moron. He couldnt process zilch on the field. Overthink every possible situation. And you cant bring nebraska up like that & not do the same for vinnys crooked *** taking pay offs against penn st... or torreta with arizona or alabama. Atleast bama was stacked that year.

Problem with Costa was that he had cement feet, about as ungraceful a QB in dropping back as Ive ever seen. He also had the slowest motion/release this side of Hideo Nomo.

Erickson's QB recruiting was pretty awful for a guy who was supposed to be an offensive guru

What's funny is that he couldn't beat out Ryan Clement and they both came in to school together.

Props to Covington for red shirting and sticking it out for his shot at starting. If it were today, he would have transferred.

Covington did try and transfer to Cal but Butch blocked it. Had a pretty good 1998 seasons. Could make all the throws but he really struggled when he felt pressure up the middle and would freeze and shell up in the pocket

Covington was a solid QB for us - just happened to play when we had teams that weren't as competitive if I have the years right.

And he may have been the 1st LA-area QB we had - and the first starter.

It just isn't Miami unless we have a QB on the roster from somewhere in California.

Jkaz, Covington was from Dana Hills, which is more Orange County. But yeah, as a guy who lives in Southern California I was excited when UM signed him. His team went like 2-9 his senior year, IIR

Advertisement
Back