QB With Best Arm In UM History.....

The only reason Kosar started over Vinny was between his ears...No comparison whatsoever on Arm strength or Athleticism

Didn't say Kosar had a stronger arm than Vinny, but it was plenty strong, particularly on the intermediate throws.

As far quick release goes, too many people interpret that to only mean how fast your arm moves...quick release also means reaction time from the time you see your target to throwing the ball, AKA eye-arm coordination...from what I've seen Williams has that trait.

Advertisement
I would say that Scott Covington as far as arm strength was right up there in the top 3 of all time. He was also accurate too. With a better team and more playing time he would achieved quite a bit.

Advertisement
I would say that Scott Covington as far as arm strength was right up there in the top 3 of all time. He was also accurate too. With a better team and more playing time he would achieved quite a bit.

What's funny is that he couldn't beat out Ryan Clement and they both came in to school together.

Props to Covington for red shirting and sticking it out for his shot at starting. If it were today, he would have transferred.

I think it's probably Morris.

And you'll all think that I'm nuts, but I seem to remember Frank Costa had an absolute canon. But he had a long wind up and the slowest release I've ever seen on a D1 QB.
Costa???....Maannnnn Stop...TERRIBLE arm....if he had ANY arm...we wouldn't have lost to Neb in 95.....He missed two EASY TDs in that game....Jonathon Harris is STILL wide open streaking down the field....What did Costa do??...Underthrow him by 15yds...same as the 2nd...Neb CBs were NO match for the Speed of UMs recievers....ANY....and I'm talking Jacory...Wright...Brock...Morris etc...Hits JH in stride.....The only good thing about Costa's arm, was when he jumped in the stands at Temple...and threw a right cross at a dude who was harassing family members...(he was from Philly)

Advertisement
Covington was a solid QB for us - just happened to play when we had teams that weren't as competitive if I have the years right.

And he may have been the 1st LA-area QB we had - and the first starter.

It just isn't Miami unless we have a QB on the roster from somewhere in California.
Me and my wife stood with Scott's Mom (who flew in from Cali) behind the sidelines at the 98 UCLA game....

I was a fan of Covington. I was in the end zone at Doak when he got thrown into the goal post. Between that beating and UCLA he earned his Cane card.

I may be crazy/mistaken, but didn't Costa have rep for having a big arm?

Go Canes!
That wasn't Covington

Advertisement
Definitely Morris is up there, in terms of velocity and distance. Testaverde, obviously as well. They had shoulder canons.

A guy that gets overlooked is Erickson. His bills were lasers. He didn’t have a canon arm in the sense that if I recall correctly his balls were generally low trajectory highly accurate mid range lasers with tight spins and high velocity. I’m sure he had some long balls with air under them, but what I recall the most about him were his quick mid range zips that get there in an awful hurry.

That’s a strong whiplike arm doing that.

I really enjoyed watching him throw the ball, it was a thing of beauty. He was under appreciated.

Advertisement
It's not that arm strength is the most overrated measure of a QB, it's that...wait, it actually is that it's the most overrated measure. Seriously, anybody who would take strength over accuracy, decision making, intelligence or being a natural leader is just stupid. It's a great tool to have, but it's one of the least important.

Stephen Morris had the strongest arm in UM history all facts and @ me If you want watch me shut that **** down.

Pretty Good isn't the word...Absolute rifle....unfortunately when your laying down in a Fetal position 90% of the time...Arm strength is meaningless...
And when he DID throw a perfect pass, it was dropped. I swear, the WRs back then were simply horrid. ****, even Olsen had the dropsies. Was it the FSU game in 2005 where he was sacked 11 times, and had like 10 passes dropped, and we still almost won? Dude had a good arm, but between him being afraid of being sacked, a bad O line making his nightmares come true, and the crappy WR play, it's a miracle his completion percentage was as high as it was.

Advertisement
Back