QB With Best Arm In UM History.....

Testaverd e in 85 vs ou 4&23 too far for field goal try too close to punt result td pass.this game has the makings of one those century games was back and forth first half then troy broke his leg rest was history.I was at that game midway up 50 yrs line behind Miami bench.I remember first Miami series blades was streaming open testaverde overthrew him while stadium said awww thank you.then fans got qu let they knew they were in for a long day

Advertisement
Advertisement
Nooooooo. Actually thats just joe pa looking out for his good buddy sandusky who would repeatedly state with emphasis how he loved "a good, tight,end...

You got me fam, that's what I was saying, but not as eloquently.

Advertisement
I was just watching some Morris highlights yesterday. That dude always leaves me with such a "what if..?" feeling. What if Golden hadn't played him injured all year in 2013 and he could have gotten a medical redshirt? He'd supposedly played most of the season with a ruptured Achilles. A healthy, mature Stephen Morris at the helm in 2014? Game changer. Kaaya redshirts his first season, etc etc.

I hate hypotheticals, but I can't help but think if Morris had been at the helm last year (in some bizarro universe of course), we'd easily be in the playoffs. Such an underrated QB and more great talent wasted on the Golden years.

Advertisement
I was just watching some Morris highlights yesterday. That dude always leaves me with such a "what if..?" feeling. What if Golden hadn't played him injured all year in 2013 and he could have gotten a medical redshirt? He'd supposedly played most of the season with a ruptured Achilles. A healthy, mature Stephen Morris at the helm in 2014? Game changer. Kaaya redshirts his first season, etc etc.

I hate hypotheticals, but I can't help but think if Morris had been at the helm last year (in some bizarro universe of course), we'd easily be in the playoffs. Such an underrated QB and more great talent wasted on the Golden years.

Morris could've actually red-shirted in 2010 if Jacory didn't get that concussion in the UVA game.

Williams getting hurt in the Spring of 14' also screwed up red-shirting Kaaya.

George Mira Sr. was elite for his era. The game was different, he was an incredible scrambler who thrilled the crowds. He could come up with the most unbelievable plays out of nothing. There was no way you could really compare the game back then to the game today. Even George himself said to a group of us before the 1989 Notre Dame game that "I could not play today." That was 1989, or almost thirty years ago.

Reportedly one of the stronger arms, perhaps one of the strongest, belonged to a guy who did nothing for us and would not work to develop his potential. That was Greg Jones, a QB out of Miami Edison in the '80's. He transferred to WVU as did another guy who did very little at UM, Basil Proctor.

All the know-it-alls here who constantly spout off about how we have to recruit like Johnson did in the '80s are delusional. You all should be working for the media and writing fake news. Try to find some of the signed recruits for JJ's first two or three classes. We signed maybe 1/3 guys who became players, another third who were mediocre at best, and the remainder were hot garbage. So many duds...so many. Jimmy was smart and managed to use the passing system and some of the passiing talent that Schnellenberger left him, an offense that closed the gap with teams who had really more size and strength in the trenches (that's why Howard called the passing game the great equalizer). JJ then went on to implement and find enough talent to man an aggressive and physical defense that created havoc with opposing offenses.

I just can't get over how stupid some of the comments are. We recruited so much useless trash, especially Jimmy's first two years. Guys like Jones, Basil Proctor, so many others. JJ and staff managed to find just enough players to put together a team that gave everybody fits. Jimmy's last two (maybe three) classes had a decent collection of guys with talent.

Getting back to arm strength--I used to hear and read that Greg Jones had a cannon. Other than that,he was useless. I think he ended up Major Harris' backup at WVU.

Advertisement
Reportedly one of the stronger arms, perhaps one of the strongest, belonged to a guy who did nothing for us and would not work to develop his potential. That was Greg Jones, a QB out of Miami Edison in the '80's. He transferred to WVU as did another guy who did very little at UM, Basil Proctor.

All the know-it-alls here who constantly spout off about how we have to recruit like Johnson did in the '80s are delusional. You all should be working for the media and writing fake news. Try to find some of the signed recruits for JJ's first two or three classes. We signed maybe 1/3 guys who became players, another third who were mediocre at best, and the remainder were hot garbage. So many duds...so many. Jimmy was smart and managed to use the passing system and some of the passiing talent that Schnellenberger left him, an offense that closed the gap with teams who had really more size and strength in the trenches (that's why Howard called the passing game the great equalizer). JJ then went on to implement and find enough talent to man an aggressive and physical defense that created havoc with opposing offenses.

I just can't get over how stupid some of the comments are. We recruited so much useless trash, especially Jimmy's first two years. Guys like Jones, Basil Proctor, so many others. JJ and staff managed to find just enough players to put together a team that gave everybody fits. Jimmy's last two (maybe three) classes had a decent collection of guys with talent.

Getting back to arm strength--I used to hear and read that Greg Jones had a cannon. Other than that,he was useless. I think he ended up Major Harris' backup at WVU.

Its interesting about Johnson's recruiting, he got off to a hit-and-miss start his first few classes but his last two were incredible in terms of the depth and talent he brought in, He left Erickson a great foundation to work with

Morris could've actually red-shirted in 2010 if Jacory didn't get that concussion in the UVA game.

Williams getting hurt in the Spring of 14' also screwed up red-shirting Kaaya.

Good points. That rule change they just implemented will help with that quite a bit. No more eligibility being thrown away because a freshman backup had to come in for a couple games to relieve an injured player.

Even then, Golden's utilization of talent was so sideways. Had Morris redshirted in 2010, Golden would have found a way to ***** that up.

Depending on how much stock you put in Feliciano's tell-all, Golden was hellbent on playing a TF Kaaya so he could have an excuse when the team didn't perform. Supposedly Williams was ready to go. Definitely a conversation for another thread/time.

But yeah...Morris had so much potential. I'd take a do-over on him in a heartbeat.

Advertisement
Back