2024 QB Trever Jackson

Seems like things got hot and then flamed out pretty quickly. Have Mario and the staff cooled on this kid?

Advertisement
I know that Zo & the coaches have a new policy of not offering scholarships prior to seeing the player work out in person but in this situation (with Trever having a lot of upside based on numerous sources, including but not limited to reports from the Elite 11), it would be worth taking a calculated risk. I wouldn’t take that risk on every player in a class but I also wouldn’t miss out on a QB with a live arm & a ton of upside adhering to some arbitrary policy. Trever could be a really dynamic QB for us.

Gaby mentioned this past week that his impression is Mario and Dawson are set with Judd Anderson as the only HS QB this cycle. He does expect them to hit the portal at the end of the season for a transfer QB to add to the room. Anderson said himself that he was told on his OV that he "was their guy" in this class.

Gaby mentioned this past week that his impression is Mario and Dawson are set with Judd Anderson as the only HS QB this cycle. He does expect them to hit the portal at the end of the season for a transfer QB to add to the room. Anderson said himself that he was told on his OV that he "was their guy" in this class.
Back to back classes of absolute developmental prospects at the most important position on the field. Only to TRY and land the elite transfer this off-season as if 20 other top schools won’t also be vying for them as well.

Hold Up Wtf GIF by Bounce

Back to back classes of absolute developmental prospects at the most important position on the field. Only to TRY and land the elite transfer this off-season as if 20 other top schools won’t also be vying for them as well.

Can't argue with that. Mario needs a signature QB at Miami to really get us back to national relevance.

And he needs a much better offense to get that QB.

Advertisement
What does mario have against good QBs?

He “was their guy” after whiffing on Noland..

I won't hold c/o 2022 against Mario, but it's actually been back to back to back classes of developmental QBs.

Much rather take a chance of landing a big time QB in the portal.
Not saying Jackson is bad and I understand that we need to throw numbers at QB but if the offense pops this year, and we land a big portal QB for a year or two, a top 2025 QB may be inclined to come here

Advertisement
I won't hold c/o 2022 against Mario, but it's actually been back to back to back classes of developmental QBs.
Without a proven offense developmental prospects may be the best that can be done. If you were an elite quarterback, would you pick Miami? Hopefully, new OC Dawson and TVD have excellent seasons, show the promise of the scheme, and better quarterback and wide receiver prospects start signing. Unless there are unusual circumstances, Miami is not likely to sign those players. Especially with elite programs getting their NIL infrastructure in order.

Last edited:
It is what it is. What do you expect after that abomination of an offense last year. Unfortunately this is the path we have to take. Show an exciting offense on the field snd then take that tape and go big game hunting for a top 3 portal QB

Legit question…why do you say Emory is a developmental QB? His rating by the services out of high school? I know JB is as weve seen him with live bullets.

It is what it is. What do you expect after that abomination of an offense last year. Unfortunately this is the path we have to take. Show an exciting offense on the field snd then take that tape and go big game hunting for a top 3 portal QB

Legit question…why do you say Emory is a developmental QB? His rating by the services out of high school? I know JB is as weve seen him with live bullets.

On the first part, it's not a question of expectations based on a poor offensive showing. At this point, it simply is what it is. Best hope for 2024 is Dawson and TVD removing all doubts so we can get a P5-starter-quality transfer in the portal. But that will not be a cakewalk.

With Emory, and I think I've mentioned this before, there is a lot to like, but I consider the super-majority of HS QBs developmental guys. There may be a handful each year that are actually capable to play out of the gate. Emory is pretty accurate, has a quick release, and seems like a natural thrower of the football. But he needs physical development, played in a relatively simple single-back spread, and still needs to be coached up. I would not feel confident with him as QB1 next season.

In a perfect world, unless I have one of those elite QBs, I don't want any QB starting before season 3.

Advertisement
On the first part, it's not a question of expectations based on a poor offensive showing. At this point, it simply is what it is. Best hope for 2024 is Dawson and TVD removing all doubts so we can get a P5-starter-quality transfer in the portal. But that will not be a cakewalk.

With Emory, and I think I've mentioned this before, there is a lot to like, but I consider the super-majority of HS QBs developmental guys. There may be a handful each year that are actually capable to play out of the gate. Emory is pretty accurate, has a quick release, and seems like a natural thrower of the football. But he needs physical development, played in a relatively simple single-back spread, and still needs to be coached up. I would not feel confident with him as QB1 next season.

In a perfect world, unless I have one of those elite QBs, I don't want any QB starting before season 3.
Roger that. Of course to some extent every frosh qb is “developmental”.

No way are we going into next year with JB, Emory and Judd as our options.

We need a transfer for '24. No two ways.

If our offense is good this year + our NIL is set, which for QB it will be, we'll win that battle...

Advertisement
I mean what would you want to see if you're an elite QB? In no particularorder, I would want:

-a proven track record of results/success
-an innovative offense that spreads the ball around
-development that prepares me for a successful pro career

Currently, we are operating under a triple negative: Mario's perception (warranted or not), the stench that Gatass left behind; and a relative unknown in offensive philosophy. Mario is selling hopes and dreams with a pinch of results. That's a difficult (not impossible) sell for an elite QB, imo. So, you have to take the Emorys and Judds of the world (not bad QBs, just not "elite")

Advertisement
Back