QB Stats from Scrimmage #2

If Shirreffs goes 16-19 180 we'd hear "the D must suck or we're in trouble ".

C'mon man, people might be overreacting, but you can't say that someone shouldn't be worried about a QB (who was dominated by the defense) b/c if the same QB had dominated the defense then they would complain about that. There is a lot of middle ground between 44% (16/36) and 84% (16/19) completion rate. I think people would feel a lot better one of Rosier and Sheriffs went something like 20/36 or 16/30. Not world beating numbers, but reasonable going up against a good defense.

The thing that worries me is not just the completion percentage, but the completion percentage and yardage; Sheriffs only completed 44% of his passes AND only averaged 8.7 yards a completion, so a lot of those passes were probably dump offs to the RB. Combine that with it being non contact and I can see why some people are concerned even though it is expected for the defense to be ahead at this point and we are expecting the defense to be one of the top Ds in the country.

Advertisement
Why can't it be that the defense is really good, and the QBs on the roster right now are not worthy?

Or we gonna hold out hope that Rosier and Shirreffs are suddenly gonna become good in the next three months?

Defense wins championships. End of story. Run the ball and play defense. We just need a QB who won't turn the ball over.

Advertisement
Apparently, the base formation we used today on offense was Shotgun, 3WR, 1TE. Obviously, everything is far from being set in stone, but if the coaching staff plans on using that as our base offense next season, I wouldn't be opposed to Perry potentially starting. He could thrive in that type of offense.

CIS wise men say: The only QB yet to play win starting job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
You guys are alarmed at a RSFR's performance against arguably one of the best defenses in the country?

I'm alarmed that our 1 and 2 went a combined 26-62 1TD 1 INT for an amazing 47% completion rate in a situation where they weren't ever going to be touched.

Anyone who thinks everything is ok with that is missing something.

But if they go out and complete 70% and throw tds all over the field we are all worried about the defense.

Defenses are supposed to be ahead in the spring. Richt even said he would be more concerned right now if they were lighting up the defense. Now that doesn't mean we have an answer at qb bit I would like to think a lot of the issues the qbs are having is due to our defense being elite.

Defense wins championships. End of story. Run the ball and play defense. We just need a QB who won't turn the ball over.

offense won the most recent championship

Defensive lines win championships, and Clemson had a great one.

They also had a great college QB!!! And people keep saying that our QB's struggled today because of our defense but it's not like they were playing against our starting secondary.

Why can't it be that the defense is really good, and the QBs on the roster right now are not worthy?

Or we gonna hold out hope that Rosier and Shirreffs are suddenly gonna become good in the next three months?

This. There is a reason Richt wants to give perry a chance to win the job in summer.

Advertisement

Yet Bama gave up 0 sacks and rushed for 221 yards for 6.5 yards a carry and if Scarborough didn't go out in the 2nd?/3rd? quarter, perhaps Bama would've won.

But I don't disagree. A 'dominating' defense is necessary for a championship and was probably sufficient for a championship 5-10 years ago, but I think the game has changed and the standard for championship level football is higher... You need a complete team now, one that is very good/elite on both sides of the football.

You guys are alarmed at a RSFR's performance against arguably one of the best defenses in the country?

I'm alarmed that our 1 and 2 went a combined 26-62 1TD 1 INT for an amazing 47% completion rate in a situation where they weren't ever going to be touched.

But if they go out and complete 70% and throw tds all over the field we are all worried about the defense.

Defenses are supposed to be ahead in the spring. Richt even said he would be more concerned right now if they were lighting up the defense. Now that doesn't mean we have an answer at qb bit I would like to think a lot of the issues the qbs are having is due to our defense being elite.

This argument again. 'Hey guys don't be worried b/c a player played poorly, b/c if he played great then you would be upset with the Defense'. No one is complaining that the QBs didn't mop the floor with the D, they are worried that those numbers suggest that the D mopped the floor with the QBs. There is a middle ground between 44% and 70%.

And yes, maybe people shoudn't be too worried b/c the D is that good, but these non sequiturs of saying 'if they played great' to argue the fact that they played poorly (or at least the stats suggest) is just as bad as people thinking spring game stats are the end all be all.

Advertisement
One yard per carry.

You guys can go on about quarterbacks all you want.. but this is still that same group of clowns we had on o line last year

Were you at the scrimmage? Apparently, it was very windy today. Is that correct? If so, do you think it affected the throws at all?

Nothing too crazy. The offense just missed throws and the DBs were outstanding. The stats are also a little deceptive because this wasn't called like a real game with run-pass balance.

This argument again. 'Hey guys don't be worried b/c a player played poorly, b/c if he played great then you would be upset with the Defense'. No one is complaining that the QBs didn't mop the floor with the D, they are worried that those numbers suggest that the D mopped the floor with the QBs. There is a middle ground between 44% and 70%.

And yes, maybe people shoudn't be too worried b/c the D is that good, but these non sequiturs of saying 'if they played great' to argue the fact that they played poorly (or at least the stats suggest) is just as bad as people thinking spring game stats are the end all be all.

I get what you're saying. There is a reason the staff is going to give Perry every opportunity to come in and win the job. We clearly don't have a difference maker at qb right now and Richt is Hoping that Perry can that.

That's a lot of pressure on a true freshman and hopefully he can be ready for the job. If it's not Perry this year I think the best we can hoe for is someone to come in and manage the game without making major mistakes.

Were you at the scrimmage? Apparently, it was very windy today. Is that correct? If so, do you think it affected the throws at all?

Nothing too crazy. The offense just missed throws and the DBs were outstanding. The stats are also a little deceptive because this wasn't called like a real game with run-pass balance.

this.

people need to take a valium.

shirreffs is getting better every practice, and he has a chance to be a good QB for this team.

if the offense is every lights out in spring, THAT'S when I'm concerned.

otherwise, heed the words of marcellus wallace

Advertisement
Back