2025 QB Luke Nickel, Alpharetta, GA

& he'll keep rising. This kid is a 5 star if ever I've seen one at qb in high school. Still shows him shorter then he is also by about an inch and change. Sad to say but that actually makes a difference in rankings particularly.
Good to hear he's taller. It absolutely makes a difference in rankings. If he measured in a 6'5 where would he be ranked right now?

I find myself amazed at the ball placement on some of his throws. It goes well beyond putting just putting it where only the WR can get to it. He's doing things that kids his age don't do.

Pair him with WRs (looking at you Carr) with excellent route running and they'll pick defenses apart.

Advertisement
@cway313 why do you care if a kid is a 3 star or a 5 star if he's awesome? Restrepo and Anez Cooper are special players. WGAF they were 3 stars? ... The same people on here that have been saying that Williams and Anderson were projections are saying Nickel is the real deal. The same coaches that were trying to land Iamaleva, Moore or Rashada as the headliner with Williams, and Noland or Raiola as the headliner with Anderson consider Nickel their headliner this class.

Not all 3 stars (and not all 5 stars) are created equal. Nickel is more productive, more polished and more college ready than anyone we've taken since Kaaya, who was roughly a composite 150 kid, and whom Nickel is better than. He's not a "developmental QB" but at the same time there's no benefit in getting into a bidding war for him if you don't have to.
Don't bother my friend. That dude cried all year about not landing a blue-chip QB (Mario tried - Saying/Noland) in lieu of going for a portal QB. Even after landing Cam Ward he's crying about CIS narratives (which he can take or leave) or some bull**** that should be relegated to the dustbin.

Good to hear he's taller. It absolutely makes a difference in rankings. If he measured in a 6'5 where would he be ranked right now?

I find myself amazed at the ball placement on some of his throws. It goes well beyond putting just putting it where only the WR can get to it. He's doing things that kids his age don't do.

Pair him with WRs (looking at you Carr) with excellent route running and they'll pick defenses apart.

If he was literally the same exact human and player in every single way except he was 6’5 he would 1000% be a Top 100 player. Zero doubt.

@cway313 why do you care if a kid is a 3 star or a 5 star if he's awesome? Restrepo and Anez Cooper are special players. WGAF they were 3 stars? ... The same people on here that have been saying that Williams and Anderson were projections are saying Nickel is the real deal. The same coaches that were trying to land Iamaleva, Moore or Rashada as the headliner with Williams, and Noland or Raiola as the headliner with Anderson consider Nickel their headliner this class.

Not all 3 stars (and not all 5 stars) are created equal. Nickel is more productive, more polished and more college ready than anyone we've taken since Kaaya, who was roughly a composite 150 kid, and whom Nickel is better than. He's not a "developmental QB" but at the same time there's no benefit in getting into a bidding war for him if you don't have to.
I am a star ***** by nature but that is not the intent. The entire argument centered around trying to spin the value of signing a potentially elite QB. If Nickel is the guy so be it, just don't tell me they have Anderson rated the same as Norland or that Emory is the best QB in his class. Emory and Anderson don't create competition in the QB room that is my issue. The 3*s attached to their names are a secondary issue.

Advertisement
For the star fans...

QB and LB are the most inaccurately ranked positions in football.
Rankings are based on size, speed, athleticism, etc...basically PHYSICAL talent. The rankings have no way of judging a high school player's brains or intangibles. (which is why the 2 most intangible positions are ranked most inaccurately)

There's a lot more that goes into evaluating QB's than just size and arm strength.

For the star fans...

QB and LB are the most inaccurately ranked positions in football.
Rankings are based on size, speed, athleticism, etc...basically PHYSICAL talent. The rankings have no way of judging a high school player's brains or intangibles. (which is why the 2 most intangible positions are ranked most inaccurately)

There's a lot more that goes into evaluating QB's than just size and arm strength.

Good stuff

I’m no QB guru but the first thing I noticed about Nickel was he was throwing guys open, but also anticipating a lot of throws. A lot of high school highlights are kids throwing to open guys

It hinted to me that he comes into games very prepared and has a good handle on the offense as a sophomore

His arm strength is good but anticipation can make an arm look even better

I am a star ***** by nature but that is not the intent. The entire argument centered around trying to spin the value of signing a potentially elite QB. If Nickel is the guy so be it, just don't tell me they have Anderson rated the same as Norland or that Emory is the best QB in his class. Emory and Anderson don't create competition in the QB room that is my issue. The 3*s attached to their names are a secondary issue.
Oh yeah all the hundreds of posters who were saying Anderson and Norland were similar rated prospects lol…

Advertisement
Up to 248 in new Rivals ranking.
Screenshot_20240227_121913_Samsung Internet.jpg

Up to 248 in new Rivals ranking.
View attachment 283390
Would love to see 20 quarterbacks better than him in the class. Not the slightest chance. The kid shredded everyone in the best classification in the state of Georgia. The only defense he had any trouble with was @Coach Macho

Colquitt County, Grayson, Walton, Lambert, etc. don't get torched by guys that aren't elite.

Would love to see 20 quarterbacks better than him in the class. Not the slightest chance. The kid shredded everyone in the best classification in the state of Georgia. The only defense he had any trouble with was @Coach Macho

Colquitt County, Grayson, Walton, Lambert, etc. don't get torched by guys that aren't elite.
Who you got between Juju and Luke.

Who you got between Juju and Luke.
Julian Lewis. I don't think they're far off on different levels right now but I'm not sure what their actual age difference is where Lewis reclassified up a year. If he's actually a year younger.... he has an insane ceiling and I'm going him all the way. If Lewis doesn't grow anymore or reclassed because of his birthday and they're closer in age then I'd let it play out this year before making that call. I don't think either are at their ceiling but Lewis' tools are at another level and his ceiling is higher.

Lewis is like Bryce Young (but could grow a few inches and be like Caleb Williams) and Nickel is like Bo Nix (Oregon version) but has room to develop into something closer to Baker Mayfield.

Advertisement
Julian Lewis. I don't think they're far off on different levels right now but I'm not sure what their actual age difference is where Lewis reclassified up a year. If he's actually a year younger.... he has an insane ceiling and I'm going him all the way. If Lewis doesn't grow anymore or reclassed because of his birthday and they're closer in age then I'd let it play out this year before making that call. I don't think either are at their ceiling but Lewis' tools are at another level and his ceiling is higher.

Lewis is like Bryce Young (but could grow a few inches and be like Caleb Williams) and Nickel is like Bo Nix (Oregon version) but has room to develop into something closer to Baker Mayfield.
Lewis birthday is September 21st 2007

Seems like Nickel's birthday is February 11th, 2007.

Lewis birthday is September 21st 2007

Seems like Nickel's birthday is February 11th, 2007.

Not as far off as I thought it would be. Weird September birthday where it seems like you're always playing up or down. Would have been old for a normal 2026 or young for a 2025 like he is now.

Assuming he grows another 2-3 inches. Crazy ceiling and Lincoln Riley probably gets him to reach it too. Nickel's floor is high though.

Truth is you don't know what Anderson or Emory are gonna be regardless of there ranking too which is why you're saying what your saying. Norland is going into his second season also an no one is saying he's going to start matter fact they just brought in two portal qbs

Advertisement
Truth is you don't know what Anderson or Emory are gonna be regardless of there ranking too which is why you're saying what your saying. Norland is going into his second season also an no one is saying he's going to start matter fact they just brought in two portal qbs.
Ill just leave this for your earliest convenience.

Message from whom? D$ when he's throwing out chum to the message board sharks?

You know dam well it was supposed to be Emory AND Rashada, then Judd AND Nolan. For whatever reason, he's 0 for 2, but Mario isn't actively trying to recruit duds (if you're "forced" to - might as well take one that's toolsy and you evaluated high, rather than the next available guy down the 247 list) at the most important position on the field - no matter what line the politburo is spewing.
Mario always wants a high-profile high school QB. He’s a star guy.

What I’m saying isn’t the company line. It’s common sense. Don’t pay big money for Top 10 high school QBs because they rarely pan out for your school in the Portal era. The evidence is overwhelming.

If you don’t have to pay them big money, great. But if you are writing a big check for a QB, and the budget isn’t unlimited (it never is), then spend on a proven Portal QB.

Advertisement
Back