2025 QB Luke Nickel, Alpharetta, GA

Would love to see 20 quarterbacks better than him in the class. Not the slightest chance. The kid shredded everyone in the best classification in the state of Georgia. The only defense he had any trouble with was @Coach Macho

Colquitt County, Grayson, Walton, Lambert, etc. don't get torched by guys that aren't elite.
@Coach Macho you played this kid? What was your impression of him?

Advertisement
Mario always wants a high-profile high school QB. He’s a star guy.

What I’m saying isn’t the company line. It’s common sense. Don’t pay big money for Top 10 high school QBs because they rarely pan out for your school in the Portal era. The evidence is overwhelming.

If you don’t have to pay them big money, great. But if you are writing a big check for a QB, and the budget isn’t unlimited (it never is), then spend on a proven Portal QB.
I can understand that approach but I'd disagree. The thing with a qb more than any other position on the team is you wanna count on him for his intangibles even more so than his physical ability. Yes its a given you want a kid who can make the big throws, that shines in the moment, that doesn't back away from a challenge. But what a portal qb(who's only gonna be with you for a year maybe 2 can never account for is what the right high school qb should be called on for. A high school qb (in an ideal world)comes in early and immediately bonds with the team. That starts to carve out his position of leadership and accountability with the people he comes in with. Ideally a freshman qb comes in and starts to mesh with everyone. He becomes a strong voice in a wild storm & that cohesion is what a quick fix(portal)will very rarely be able to contribute as. You need time to win everyone over. You need time to learn that habits of the position groups and the people you interact with. You grow as a group. How often are you seeing these quick fix portal qbs come in and do something meaningful? It's different if they portal out after freshman year etc. But if your talking grads or two years tops you're rushing the process & that's not what we want to build here.

I am a star ***** by nature but that is not the intent. The entire argument centered around trying to spin the value of signing a potentially elite QB. If Nickel is the guy so be it, just don't tell me they have Anderson rated the same as Norland or that Emory is the best QB in his class. Emory and Anderson don't create competition in the QB room that is my issue. The 3*s attached to their names are a secondary issue.
Did Kenny Kelly create competition in the qb room? The consensus 5 star? Did Kyle Wright create completion? Now how about Derrick Crudup? Kenny dorsey? Scott covington? Or are you simply assuming YOU already know better than our coaching staffs and that these kids won't pan out to anything?

Did Kenny Kelly create competition in the qb room? The consensus 5 star? Did Kyle Wright create completion? Now how about Derrick Crudup? Kenny dorsey? Scott covington? Or are you simply assuming YOU already know better than our coaching staffs and that these kids won't pan out to anything?
I don't have to assume anything. After 3 years we haven't even recruited a backup QB. All 3 guys will be competing for a QB3 role. That is my evidence that the staff agrees with me. Emory could pan out in yr 4 or same with Judd. How does that help the 2023 or 2024 or 2025 Hurricanes?

I'll add that in the transfer portal era planning on developing a kid for 3 to 4 years is brave.

@Coach Macho you played this kid? What was your impression of him?
Here’s his response from after their game

That kid is freakin' good.
My ******** was puckered up every time he dropped back to pass. He made some really nice throws tonight.

However...

He was not pickin' 💩 apart. Don't let a few Twitter highlights fool you. 🤣 We shut that **** down tonight. And we dropped at least 2 easy interceptions.

That team won't score as low as 10 points for the entire rest of the season. They are GOOD!

Advertisement
I don't know what you are attempting to argue. Noland is a TF at worst 3rd on the depth chart. Judd Anderson is a TF and at best 5th on the depth chart.
What exactly establishes where Noland is on the depth chart? He's definitely not 3rd at worst either. With chip he probably does play before sayin(which is a crime cause sayin is 10x the qb Nolan is) but Ohio St also had another kid that the fanbase is excited for . They are both bottom of the depth chart and NO one has seen what they will amount to in college. You're simply making an assumption one is far better than the other. In reality one is probably in a bettersituation than the other but it doesn't establish either as a talent.

I don't have to assume anything. After 3 years we haven't even recruited a backup QB. All 3 guys will be competing for a QB3 role. That is my evidence that the staff agrees with me. Emory could pan out in yr 4 or same with Judd. How does that help the 2023 or 2024 or 2025 Hurricanes?

I'll add that in the transfer portal era planning on developing a kid for 3 to 4 years is brave.
That's a blatant lie. Maybe for you the word recruited is where you lose me. Recruited and signed are not one and the same.

What exactly establishes where Noland is on the depth chart? He's definitely not 3rd at worst either. With chip he probably does play before sayin(which is a crime cause sayin is 10x the qb Nolan is) but Ohio St also had another kid that the fanbase is excited for . They are both bottom of the depth chart and NO one has seen what they will amount to in college. You're simply making an assumption one is far better than the other. In reality one is probably in a bettersituation than the other but it doesn't establish either as a talent.
I was responding to the depth chart he posted. I don't know how real it was. He also said Norland was in his second year so I'm just as perplexed as you.

Advertisement
Would love to see 20 quarterbacks better than him in the class. Not the slightest chance. The kid shredded everyone in the best classification in the state of Georgia. The only defense he had any trouble with was @Coach Macho

Colquitt County, Grayson, Walton, Lambert, etc. don't get torched by guys that aren't elite.
To be fair, we only gave up 111.2 YPG passing in 13 games... and that's with a schedule that included Heritage, STA, Columbus and Milton.
[shameless plug] 😜

It was only the second game of the season, I'm sure they weren't firing on all cylinders. We doubled his #1 WR a lot and forced him to take checkdowns. At the end of the day, regardless of his stats, my entire defensive staff came away very impressed. He made a handful of throws that were like...😯
That's all I really needed to see.

And even more impressive was his quick and efficient decision making.

If he wasn't the real deal, yall know I would tell ya.

I am a star ***** by nature but that is not the intent. The entire argument centered around trying to spin the value of signing a potentially elite QB. If Nickel is the guy so be it, just don't tell me they have Anderson rated the same as Norland or that Emory is the best QB in his class. Emory and Anderson don't create competition in the QB room that is my issue. The 3*s attached to their names are a secondary issue.

Sorry I didn't get back to this until now, family and work. ... The narrative was never that. It was about where are you going to invest your NIL budget. So if it's a choice between spending $1M+ annually on a 18 year old with no college experience vs spending $1.5 million on a transfer like Ward, it's a no brainer where to lay down your money.

Nickel isn't commanding $1M+ annually. I'm sure he'll get (far) more than the NIL value of a kid at his current national rating because he is the guy the staff identified from the get go as their top QB target. But he's not going to break the bank. Now if he was a 5 star demanding a Top 10 NIL deal to come to Miami, that's a discussion worth having. But he's not. So it's moot.

Advertisement
Mario always wants a high-profile high school QB. He’s a star guy.

What I’m saying isn’t the company line. It’s common sense. Don’t pay big money for Top 10 high school QBs because they rarely pan out for your school in the Portal era. The evidence is overwhelming.

If you don’t have to pay them big money, great. But if you are writing a big check for a QB, and the budget isn’t unlimited (it never is), then spend on a proven Portal QB.

Still catching up. This is exactly the point. Of course you go get the best QB out of HS that you can. But he turns around demanding Cam Ward or Will Howard money, you pay that out to Cam Ward or Will Howard. Anyone not doing that is a fool being parted with his money.

To be fair, we only gave up 111.2 YPG passing in 13 games... and that's with a schedule that included Heritage, STA, Columbus and Milton.
[shameless plug] 😜

It was only the second game of the season, I'm sure they weren't firing on all cylinders. We doubled his #1 WR a lot and forced him to take checkdowns. At the end of the day, regardless of his stats, my entire defensive staff came away very impressed. He made a handful of throws that were like...😯
That's all I really needed to see.

And even more impressive was his quick and efficient decision making.

If he wasn't the real deal, yall know I would tell ya.
I watched two of his games and that's. Y take as well. Outside of his highlights( which are obviously impressive)even in his struggles you see what you need. He's intelligent and he processes the game effectively. Won't it be great to have two qbs in a row between cam and nickel who can actually read and react to what a defense is doing and make them pay... Poff I have to admit although I have several concerns with him, he's got some pretty impressive traits too. I just wanna keep those three in house. The others I'll trust in the staff but for me I just don't see it for them here with how the future is being set up.

Advertisement
I watched two of his games and that's. Y take as well. Outside of his highlights( which are obviously impressive)even in his struggles you see what you need. He's intelligent and he processes the game effectively. Won't it be great to have two qbs in a row between cam and nickel who can actually read and react to what a defense is doing and make them pay... Poff I have to admit although I have several concerns with him, he's got some pretty impressive traits too. I just wanna keep those three in house. The others I'll trust in the staff but for me I just don't see it for them here with how the future is being set up.
Luke has great leadership traits as well. We have to also keep in mind, he was only a Junior last season. I'm stoked if he stays a Cane and croots like crazy for this upcoming class and beyond. Go Canes 🏈

Julian Lewis. I don't think they're far off on different levels right now but I'm not sure what their actual age difference is where Lewis reclassified up a year. If he's actually a year younger.... he has an insane ceiling and I'm going him all the way. If Lewis doesn't grow anymore or reclassed because of his birthday and they're closer in age then I'd let it play out this year before making that call. I don't think either are at their ceiling but Lewis' tools are at another level and his ceiling is higher.

Lewis is like Bryce Young (but could grow a few inches and be like Caleb Williams) and Nickel is like Bo Nix (Oregon version) but has room to develop into something closer to Baker Mayfield.

I compare Nickelback to Kirk Cousins at Michigan state that becomes Andew Luck both stanford and the colts (that boy was good af)... His grit on the field is definitely Bakerish.

Luke has great leadership traits as well. We have to also keep in mind, he was only a Junior last season. I'm stoked if he stays a Cane and croots like crazy for this upcoming class and beyond. Go Canes 🏈
That's who I was speaking about. Nickel I can't wait to get in house. 3-4 years worth of high value consistency from the qb position. Been forever since we've had that.

A lot would be different if Rashada hadn't *****ed out.
In hindsight I think the QB room would be worse (for 2024) Rashada isn’t Ward, and with how much he would’ve been paid between 23/24 I don’t think UM would’ve been able to afford Ward. It would’ve been ride or die with Rashada due to funds allocated, similar to TVDip**** last year.

Advertisement
Back