2025 QB Luke Nickel, Alpharetta, GA

Yes, there are other options. I never said Judd was the answer.

My position is simple- I think Top 10 recruit QBs are an inefficient use of money. It's increasingly rare that they work out for the team that signs them. Most great QBs are transfers or sleepers. In a vacuum, a five-star QB is way more likely to succeed than a three-star kid. But in the real world, all of this comes with a price tag, and you have to evaluate cost-benefit.

Unless you (1) have unlimited money; or (2) attract five star QBs based on your brand alone, the investment is much better spent on Portal QBs like Cam Ward. If you're taking high school kids, look for value and high upside.
In the world of portal and NIL it makes no sense to recruit 5 Star QB unless you feel he is going to start day one.

Advertisement
I think there's a middle ground that everyone is stubbornly unwilling to concede.

5 star QBs are typically a bad investment price/bust wise.

low 3 star qbs are typically a waste of scholarship bc of the fact they will likely never see the field.

The middle ground is you recruit low budget 4 star qbs high 3 star qbs. 200'45] range. They won't break the bank and let you go big in the portal if you need to, and they have the tools to be be better than a shot in the dark prayer.

Composite 4* now.
This is before the updated 247 rankings release.
Screenshot_20240301_071152_Samsung Internet.jpg

To be fair, we only gave up 111.2 YPG passing in 13 games... and that's with a schedule that included Heritage, STA, Columbus and Milton.
[shameless plug] 😜

It was only the second game of the season, I'm sure they weren't firing on all cylinders. We doubled his #1 WR a lot and forced him to take checkdowns. At the end of the day, regardless of his stats, my entire defensive staff came away very impressed. He made a handful of throws that were like...😯
That's all I really needed to see.

And even more impressive was his quick and efficient decision making.

If he wasn't the real deal, yall know I would tell ya.

So when are you joining Miami’s staff in some capacity?

Advertisement
Teams need to sign a high school QB every year. All we're talking about is budgeting. It's hard to find great DL in the Portal and the great ones are usually five stars. It's easier to find great QBs in the Portal and the great ones are often sleepers.
Jayden Daniels was qb 11 on that years 247 qb transfer portal list

Yes, there are other options. I never said Judd was the answer.

My position is simple- I think Top 10 recruit QBs are an inefficient use of money. It's increasingly rare that they work out for the team that signs them. Most great QBs are transfers or sleepers. In a vacuum, a five-star QB is way more likely to succeed than a three-star kid. But in the real world, all of this comes with a price tag, and you have to evaluate cost-benefit.

Unless you (1) have unlimited money; or (2) attract five star QBs based on your brand alone, the investment is much better spent on Portal QBs like Cam Ward. If you're taking high school kids, look for value and high upside.
Idk why this is so difficult to understand lol

Advertisement
Not a lot of data to go by with the portal yet but the suck tax we pay certainly seems to play a role. Spring portal seems to be even more expensive

Mario will always be a strong recruiter but if he actually starts winning some meaningful games we won’t have to pick and choose where the money goes as much

Could be wrong but there isn’t a lot to go by at the moment

Hoping this is a kid that just wants to be a Cane and compensated fairly rather than what we see with some situations

Advertisement
Advertisement
I really thought he would end up being a 4 star QB by now. I'm not sure what else he has to do to get his 4th star on 247. Nickel literally led his team a 7A Georgia state title while passing for 4000 yards 45 Total TDs and only 5 INTs. He was literally the most dominant QB in Georgia last season

I really thought he would end up being a 4 star QB by now. I'm not sure what else he has to do to get his 4th star on 247. Nickel literally led his team a 7A Georgia state title while passing for 4000 yards 45 Total TDs and only 5 INTs. He was literally the most dominant QB in Georgia last season
247 has both Nickel and Melendez as 3* and likly why our class in not top 10 there.

Advertisement
Back