Proposal to shorten games, slow down offenses

Advertisement
I hold the unpopular opinion that instant replay sucks. Bad calls are part of the game. Yet now we have to wait 10 minutes for a ref to review a call and still somehow get it wrong. And if you add up all the replay reviews plus challenges, there are stoppages lasting several minutes at least 10 times a game. I think there should be fewer reviewable plays, with the exception of targeting because it's a health issue (and there should be a lesser penalty for inadvertent contact with the head).
I would be with you all the way up to the point where Miami gets screwed in a big game. (And it would most certainly happen)

Then I would be screaming like a child for replay again. No way I look in the mirror and say that's what I wanted. **** that!!

.....just being honest

*pre game intro*
*commercial*
*coin flip*
*commercial*
*kickoff/touchback*
*commercial*
*opening drive 3 and out, punt/fair catch*
*commercial*
*rinse and repeat literally every single drive*
*4th quarter 2 minute warning*
*quick ketamine break for Skip Bayless, followed by 15 minutes of commercials in final 2 minutes*
*game over*
*commercial*
*post game handshake*
*onto next scheduled game that you missed the first 13 minutes of*
*one more commerical*

Fail Falling Down GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

Advertisement
how about actually call offensive lineman for being illegally downfield on passing plays, when across the neutral zone?

unless the OL is 10 yards downfield, that never gets called and it's a joke.

And why do you think that is?

Sports in general are aging out. The demographic that goes to games or sits there all day watching it all is getting older and older. That and they're pricing out a lot of people that used to go to games. As a single person, it wasn't uncommon for me to attend 3 to 4 road games of ours a year. To have to do that as a family isn't feasible. To stay true to the board though, it's that or sell the Bentley. 😉

Advertisement
I don't pretend to know, but I am guessing that the powers that be have spent a considerable amount of money on focus groups and other market research that's telling them the games are too long.

Look at the panic baseball is currently in to shorten games right now. Crazy rules.

American's attention spans are contracting more and more.

Yes, focus groups are fine, but you don’t need one to tell you that the sport has become so predictable in college football, the same 2 to 3 teams every year are at the top with no one even closely challenging them. TCU or a Cincy sneak in and they get slaughtered.

Sports in general are aging out. The demographic that goes to games or sits there all day watching it all is getting older and older. That and they're pricing out a lot of people that used to go to games. As a single person, it wasn't uncommon for me to attend 3 to 4 road games of ours a year. To have to do that as a family isn't feasible. To stay true to the board though, it's that or sell the Bentley. 😉

Don’t discount more or less the same ******* teams dominating for the last 10 years or more

while i think a couple of those ideas are good, I really wish we'd make the game shorter by cutting down on all the ******* TV timeouts. The games are 3.5 hours long because they have to shove advertisements down our throats lol

Advertisement
You REALLY want to shorten the games? Then hand out sniper rifles and blanket immunity to anybody in the upper deck that takes out the individual that is the REAL problem....
Screenshot_20230220_112142_Google.jpg

Don’t discount more or less the same ******* teams dominating for the last 10 years or more

That may have a slight impact, but it's college wide and truthfully sports wide.

Take a look at a game day at a bar. Used to be filled with all ages, now it's middle aged people by and large. When I was young, you'd sit there and watch sports as a family and kids aren't doing that anymore. Electronics rule the day and seeing kids outside playing whatever game for fun is becoming an anomaly.

Television revenues keep going up, but attendance is going down. There's going to be a breaking point and I think that'll be the next time the big conferences try and renew. Contract renews have made the biggest player in college sports, ESPN to lose a ton of the market.

All the while, game ticket prices are soaring. Gotta keep the cash flowing to try and stay relevant. While less and less people show out.

Back to the biggest problem. Most 20 somethings and below, they don't give one crap about watching sports. Sports will continue of course, but I'd say we're at an artificial peak. Peak was a decade ago, maybe a bit more. It's going downhill and eventually a balance will be found. The cost of everything doesn't help either, from travel to lodging, the dollar doesn't go as far as it used to.

Advertisement

C'mon man...no!!
They reduced the amount of plays by running the clock on OB run plays a few years back. Announcers still make the mistake of thinking the clock is stopped on that play (with more than 2 minutes left in a half).

The old AFL games were wrapped up in less than 3 hours with the old rules and they were throwing the ball all over the place.
Why?

Commercials.
24.5% of the game is commercials.

How about reducing the length of a 4 minute TV time out???
And while they're at it, reduce the max time to 1 minute for a replay review.

Reduce the other crap.
Don't reduce the game.

That may have a slight impact, but it's college wide and truthfully sports wide.

Take a look at a game day at a bar. Used to be filled with all ages, now it's middle aged people by and large. When I was young, you'd sit there and watch sports as a family and kids aren't doing that anymore. Electronics rule the day and seeing kids outside playing whatever game for fun is becoming an anomaly.

Television revenues keep going up, but attendance is going down. There's going to be a breaking point and I think that'll be the next time the big conferences try and renew. Contract renews have made the biggest player in college sports, ESPN to lose a ton of the market.

All the while, game ticket prices are soaring. Gotta keep the cash flowing to try and stay relevant. While less and less people show out.

Back to the biggest problem. Most 20 somethings and below, they don't give one crap about watching sports. Sports will continue of course, but I'd say we're at an artificial peak. Peak was a decade ago, maybe a bit more. It's going downhill and eventually a balance will be found. The cost of everything doesn't help either, from travel to lodging, the dollar doesn't go as far as it used to.

I’m not discounting the factors that you have cited, I’m just keeping the focus narrowly on college football. And while those other things are undoubtedly factors, I don’t want to discount that the domination by these teams, these especially boring teams, has had a significant impact - look at us, we’re college football fans, not just Miami Hurricanes fans, and we’re bored with these ******* teams. I found the NC game to be excruciating.

Don’t mind any of those rules except for the clock runs after incompletions. But when I think about it, the real problem is the clock stopping after each first down. It just lengthens the game so much. Also as mentioned, the other issue is that CFB is dying because it 4-5 elite teams and everyone else. It’s just not that interesting anymore.

Advertisement
Back