Proposal to shorten games, slow down offenses

Advertisement
Advertisement
Have commercials between quarters and an extended halftime only. The quarters are essentially non-stop, break between 1st and 2nd, etc is a minute or three longer. Halftime, add 5 minutes thereabouts. No television timeouts during the quarter unless there's a serious injury you need to break away from.

I hold the unpopular opinion that instant replay sucks. Bad calls are part of the game. Yet now we have to wait 10 minutes for a ref to review a call and still somehow get it wrong. And if you add up all the replay reviews plus challenges, there are stoppages lasting several minutes at least 10 times a game. I think there should be fewer reviewable plays, with the exception of targeting because it's a health issue (and there should be a lesser penalty for inadvertent contact with the head).

College football games are not too long because of the rules.

Here's an idea - No commercial breaks after turnovers. Problem solved without ******* up the greatest game we have going.
Your first sentence is spot on. Games being longer are only slightly extended because of actual play. I suggest have the commercial breaks at the end of the quarters, half time, when players are injured, or when the game is actually stopped for a valid reason. I can not recall how many times I sat in the stands and yelled "Lets's get this game rolling".

I hold the unpopular opinion that instant replay sucks. Bad calls are part of the game. Yet now we have to wait 10 minutes for a ref to review a call and still somehow get it wrong. And if you add up all the replay reviews plus challenges, there are stoppages lasting several minutes at least 10 times a game. I think there should be fewer reviewable plays, with the exception of targeting because it's a health issue (and there should be a lesser penalty for inadvertent contact with the head).
What would you deem not a reviewable play? Targeting, catches, turnovers and scoring plays are on my list of things that have to stay. Those are game changing. I’m iffy on first down spots, they might could go.

Advertisement
Nothing needs fixed more than the amount of time wasted on reviews and on replays. Wasting time on slight bobble with the receiver going out of bounds that cant be seen by the naked eye is crazy. Or moving the spot a couple inches. How many times does the replay expert guy get it wrong? Give each team three challenges a half or something similar.

lol that people are suggesting they cut the ads as if that has a ******* chance in **** of happening
CFB has sold its soul, its parents’ souls, its children’s souls, its nieces and nephews and neighbors’ dog’s souls for the nose candy of ad revenue. It is never, *ever*, going to reduce the flow of spice.

That said, there are many ways to shorten the length of games without compromising the sport any further. I’d be in favor of some of them, although I don’t see what this has to do with slowing offenses down. Like, Josh Heupel doesn't care if your rules means he snaps at 27 or 21 seconds. The same amount of real time has elapsed. Maybe they mean “limit” with regard to possessions, but if anything this hurts plodding Os more. Once they get behind they’ll have less clock to play with.

Advertisement
Advertisement
CFB has sold its soul, its parents’ souls, its children’s souls, its nieces and nephews and neighbors’ dog’s souls for the nose candy of ad revenue. It is never, *ever*, going to reduce the flow of spice.

That said, there are many ways to shorten the length of games without compromising the sport any further. I’d be in favor of some of them, although I don’t see what this has to do with slowing offenses down. Like, Josh Heupel doesn't care if your rules means he snaps at 27 or 21 seconds. The same amount of real time has elapsed. Maybe they mean “limit” with regard to possessions, but if anything this hurts plodding Os more. Once they get behind they’ll have less clock to play with.a
all true I’m purely commenting on the idea that ads will be cut. Pro and college football- live sports- are basically the last ads in the us that will ever be cut. Period. That’s reality. They may evolve (think the split screen 30 seconds with game cam still on ) but they are the last events drawing consistent mass ratings and as such they can and will continue to use and abuse the viewers

Advertisement
Back