Practice #4

Herbert couldn’t win a spot over Zion who was a true freshman and gained 60 pounds in a half of a year. Writing off Zion but wanting to see what Herbert can do seems counterintuitive, especially given their respective traits.
Butch Barry decided to roll with Zion. Maybe Zion had his technique down but now its a new coach with new techniques

Advertisement
Kindly point me to which games besides Duke where I can watch Herbert's "absolutely horrible" play. I saw him play almost a full game against Duke and I didn't like what I saw...but then again we ran a whole lot of screens and slow developing play action against Duke. Those types of plays out the linemen in a tough spot.
I mean you’re pointing precisely to a game where he looked bad. Outside of that, it was mostly spot play and he was being beat like a drum when he was in. Maybe his shoulder wasn’t fully healed and this is the first good bill of health he’s having, but I thought that he was supposed to have good feet coming out of HS too. 247 guys saying he showed good punch in run blocking today too. Like I said, I’m happy to be wrong. I’m just more excited about the progression of a Sophomore with all of the athletic traits to succeed at the position and a switch to a scheme that should help him more. Still think a GT is the answer.

someone who has seen practices how does the tempo of practice this year looked compared to last year? The energy? Do the players look more engaged?

Advertisement
There were other people around the program telling us that Herbert didn’t look good either. Do we need Butch Barry to tell us that Herbert wasn’t good enough to play?

Look, all I know for sure is that Butch Barry was a complete and utter failure, and that FAU with Garin Justice improved in sacks allowed from 70th in 2015 to 12th in 2017. So I'm gonna choose to trust Justice's judgement over "people around the program".

That's one Big leprechaun.
leprechaun-4-giant-leprechaun.png

Advertisement
Diaz... Hedley, Borregales, Roche, and Burns scheduled time speak after
Speaking with Burns seems like it could be a waste considering he might be sitting 4th on the depth chart by the end of fall camp. I could be way off though, I suppose he could offer insight into the culture change and the pulse of the locker room.

Your basing it on the decision of an offensive line coach and coordinator who got fired after one season though. I mean we have to consider the guys who made the decision to start Zion in the first place. After watching Zion look absolutely lost last year, I have to wonder if he actually was the best option at the time. I mean, the worst starting tackle in FBS was our best option? Maybe Herbert really is that bad. Maybe he was out of shape or lazy during practices? I mean he would have to be epically bad to perform worse than Zion did last year.
Herbert was equally as awful last year. You have to think it’s possible the man strength has finally kicked in though and he’s the best option.

Advertisement
I mean you’re pointing precisely to a game where he looked bad. Outside of that, it was mostly spot play and he was being beat like a drum when he was in. Maybe his shoulder wasn’t fully healed and this is the first good bill of health he’s having, but I thought that he was supposed to have good feet coming out of HS too. 247 guys saying he showed good punch in run blocking today too. Like I said, I’m happy to be wrong. I’m just more excited about the progression of a Sophomore with all of the athletic traits to succeed at the position and a switch to a scheme that should help him more. Still think a GT is the answer.

I pointed precisely to the Duke game because he played almost the entire game. I wasn't pleased with what I saw overall, but it was a large sample size. He had his good and bad moments. IMO it's more relevant to use a large sample size rather than just spot play here and there without any context as to the situation he was put in at those various times. Against Duke we had three of our top six linemen down and Duke was just teeing off. That's the context that I witnessed him play and struggle in. As for Zion, he was not just bad. He was worse than Matt Pipho bad for 13 games. That sample size is more than enough for me to be confident that he still needed time to develop. I hope that those traits you're talking about materialize and that he ultimately becomes someone who we can count on, but based on 2019 he should sit.

Advertisement
Speaking with Burns seems like it could be a waste considering he might be sitting 4th on the depth chart by the end of fall camp. I could be way off though, I suppose he could offer insight into the culture change and the pulse of the locker room.
Knowing coaches, Burns will be 2nd rb atleast til season starts if I was a betting man

Advertisement
Back