Practice #4

Advertisement
I know you have a hard on for criticizing Zion, but Herbert was absolutely horrible. Zion actually had moments where he flashed, even considering how bad he was in the aggregate. Herbert I can’t say the same for, and Zion at least has some traits that lend me to believe he’s going to eventually be a good player here. Herbert not so much. Happy to be wrong though.
Herbert barely even played last year. Nelson had his moments(fsu comes to mind on a few blocks) however the bad largely outweighed the good with him. I haven’t given up on Nelson, just want him to redshirt this year

Some other observations from TOS:

- Rousseau, Roche, and Phillips talking to each other a lot in drills.

- Blissett does have the body type of a defensive end. Looks the part

-
Kai-Leon Herbert showed a nice punch and aggressiveness during the run blocking drills we could watch.

- First Team Offensive Line: LT John Campbell, LG Ousmane Traore, C Corey Gaynor, RG DJ Scaife, and RT Kai-Leon Herbert

- Second Team Offensive Line: LT Zalon’tae Hillery, LG Jalen Rivers, C Jakai Clark, RG Cleveland Reed, RT Zion Nelson

- Early enrollee freshman Jalen Rivers definitely jumps out in terms of looking like a future starter with his body type and athleticism

- Garin Justice’s coaching style from what we could see: he brings plenty of energy and is very active with the way he is a hands-on coach, but he isn’t necessarily a guy that yells and screams.

Elite DEs out there talking ****? We byke???

Advertisement
Herbert barely even played last year. Nelson had his moments(fsu comes to mind on a few blocks) however the bad largely outweighed the good with him. I haven’t given up on Nelson, just want him to redshirt this year

You'd rather redshirt Nelson over Rivers? Interesting.

My big takeaway from that starting OL is that they are all 3-4 years removed from high school.

Lol we haven't had a decent beard on the O-Line since:

1583510493515.png

Advertisement
I know you have a hard on for criticizing Zion, but Herbert was absolutely horrible. Zion actually had moments where he flashed, even considering how bad he was in the aggregate. Herbert I can’t say the same for, and Zion at least has some traits that lend me to believe he’s going to eventually be a good player here. Herbert not so much. Happy to be wrong though.

Kindly point me to which games besides Duke where I can watch Herbert's "absolutely horrible" play. I saw him play almost a full game against Duke and I didn't like what I saw...but then again we ran a whole lot of screens and slow developing play action against Duke. Those types of plays out the linemen in a tough spot.

You'd rather redshirt Nelson over Rivers? Interesting.
Rivers is a better talent and more equipped to play year 1 than Nelson was in his freshman season. I mean Sh*t, Nelson wasn’t the only freshman lineman we have started over the years ereck flowers, scaife, darling, McDermott **** even last season another freshman clark wasn’t even as bad as Nelson as a freshman

Thought we brought Rivers here to be a Tackle? at least RT. Why not start him from the beginning on 2nd team OT? Is there a method to the madness in bringing them along slowly at G, and then throw them outside?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Your basing it on the decision of an offensive line coach and coordinator who got fired after one season though. I mean we have to consider the guys who made the decision to start Zion in the first place. After watching Zion look absolutely lost last year, I have to wonder if he actually was the best option at the time. I mean, the worst starting tackle in FBS was our best option? Maybe Herbert really is that bad. Maybe he was out of shape or lazy during practices? I mean he would have to be epically bad to perform worse than Zion did last year.
Well said!

Rivers is a better talent and more equipped to play year 1 than Nelson was in his freshman season. I mean Sh*t, Nelson wasn’t the only freshman lineman we have started over the years ereck flowers, scaife, darling, McDermott **** even last season another freshman clark wasn’t even as bad as Nelson as a freshman

I wouldn't mind giving him the RS afterall. Nelson seems to have a high ceiling, but actual body growth has to take place lol.

Rivers looks like a tank though. YUGE torso and long arms:

1583510913399.png

Advertisement
Back