Practice #4

Herbert also looked worse than Zion whenever he came in the games. I’m not just basing it on those inept coaches. Basing it on my eyes too, in addition to everything we’ve heard around the program. I’m much more excited to see how Zion progresses than Herbert, but that’s just me.
Too much of a small sample size of Herbert in games at tackle to say that. No tackle looked worse than Zion in games, impossible. Pretty sure he allowed the most sacks in the country and was near the top in pressures allowed.

Advertisement
Herbert also looked worse than Zion whenever he came in the games. I’m not just basing it on those inept coaches. Basing it on my eyes too, in addition to everything we’ve heard around the program. I’m much more excited to see how Zion progresses than Herbert, but that’s just me.

In fairness, there wasn't a single lineman who looked great last year. I'm hoping that the current line coach and OC can do a better job picking the five guys who will play best in this system than the guys last year did.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Herbert couldn’t win a spot over Zion who was a true freshman and gained 60 pounds in a half of a year. Writing off Zion but wanting to see what Herbert can do seems counterintuitive, especially given their respective traits.

I trust Butch Barry's evaluations on who should be starting about as much as I trust a crackhead with the keys to my crib. Having said that, I didn't like what I saw from Herbert in his extensive action against Duke...but then again, I didn't like Zion all season so...

I saw him his junior year at Deerfield and thought he looked a lot bigger than 190 lbs or whatever he was listed as. He's not little back at all.
I don’t buy his weight listed or anyone else’s on the roster. He was 195 last summer at the opening when he ran a 4.49 40 laser dash

Too much of a small sample size of Herbert in games at tackle to say that. No tackle looked worse than Zion in games, impossible. Pretty sure he allowed the most sacks in the country and was near the top in pressures allowed.
It was like clockwork last year. Big third down, need to pick it up to keep a drive alive annnnnnnnd someone blows past Zion and sacks the Qb or hurries the throw and ends up disrupting everything. I've never seen worse tackle play in D1 football in my life.

With that said, he was a true freshman and undersized to be playing LT. Willing to see how he does with new coaching staff and a full year of the S&T program under his belt.

Some other observations from TOS:

- Rousseau, Roche, and Phillips talking to each other a lot in drills.

- Blissett does have the body type of a defensive end. Looks the part

-
Kai-Leon Herbert showed a nice punch and aggressiveness during the run blocking drills we could watch.

- First Team Offensive Line: LT John Campbell, LG Ousmane Traore, C Corey Gaynor, RG DJ Scaife, and RT Kai-Leon Herbert

- Second Team Offensive Line: LT Zalon’tae Hillery, LG Jalen Rivers, C Jakai Clark, RG Cleveland Reed, RT Zion Nelson

- Early enrollee freshman Jalen Rivers definitely jumps out in terms of looking like a future starter with his body type and athleticism

- Garin Justice’s coaching style from what we could see: he brings plenty of energy and is very active with the way he is a hands-on coach, but he isn’t necessarily a guy that yells and screams.

Advertisement
I know you have a hard on for criticizing Zion, but Herbert was absolutely horrible. Zion actually had moments where he flashed, even considering how bad he was in the aggregate. Herbert I can’t say the same for, and Zion at least has some traits that lend me to believe he’s going to eventually be a good player here. Herbert not so much. Happy to be wrong though.

Advertisement

Chad Thomas was written off as a complete bust after his soph season in 2015. Lo and behold, a competent DC comes in 2016 and Thomas goes on to accumulate 23 TFL and 9 sacks over the next 2 seasons. Maybe our last OC and OL coach had no idea what they were doing, starting a true freshman, 2-star at LT to send a “message” to the team, and watching him get burned all season and cripple our offense. To me, it’s quite the indictment that, already, in week one of spring practice, our new OC has not only moved Nelson out of the LT spot, but has benched him altogether. Sorry, I’m ranting a little bit here, but watching the coaches leave Nelson as LT all season last year was one of the dumbest coaching moves I’ve ever seen. We all saw it with our own eyes, just like we did with DOnofrios trash defense.

I trust Butch Barry's evaluations on who should be starting about as much as I trust a crackhead with he keys to my crib. Having said that, I didn't like what I saw from Herbert in his extensive action against Duke...but then again, I didn't like Zion all season so...
There were other people around the program telling us that Herbert didn’t look good either. Do we need Butch Barry to tell us that Herbert wasn’t good enough to play?

Everyone knows that our OL underperformed the last few years.

Very few know who has improved and by how much in the offseason and especially how they will fit into Lashlees uptempo scheme

This board knows as much about the capabilities of the members of our OL and who should be playing...as Coach D knew about defense.

Now if you're looking for unsubstantiated regurgitated opinions from dubious unknowing source's....... this is the place to go

Otherwise I suggest waiting for the coaches ratings.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back