Powell

Its not alright that Muschump can just swoop in and grab one of our SoFlas not even a month after our prized local decommitted from him. They can recruit SoFla RBs with the down year they had, but apparently we cant. Awesome.

Advertisement
Poster on 247 saying his coach is responsible for the flip and he may have missed some deadlines at UF, story developing and could get interesting...tifwiw

whatever deadlines he missed at UF will magically change for him. i wouldn't worry about it. after all according to his coach UF was always his dream school.

Funny thing is, I remember videos during the summer and after he flipped to us where he said that FSU was his dream school but we didn't have to worry...these kids crack me up

246.jpg

Advertisement
Competition. These kids don't want to compete man. His family felt disrespected because they were told there was only gonna be 2 backs in this class?

Never understand how this guys expect to make it playing football but don't want to compete

so he is getting money??? lol because uf dont put backs in the league.

Brandon Powell#⃣3⃣ ‏@_Powellbp4 5m
Gotta feed the fam. Been struggling for too long

Emmitt Smith
Fred Taylor
Neal Anderson
Eric Rhett
Earnest Graham
Even Rainey and Demps are in the NFL.

So 2 guys from the 80s and 2 guys from the early 90s. Other than that, garbage. Not saying it should weigh on his decision, but we even put Mike James in the L. Javarris James collected paychecks.

So did James Jackson, I think, as did Najeh and Jarrett Payton. No biggie. Maybe only one of those guys, Emmitt Smith, excelled the way Portis and the Edge did. (and UF wouldn't give Portis the time of day.)

The more I look at this abrupt Brandon Powell situation....it really smells.

Anybody following football and recruiting in Florida as long as I have, knows that it is the SEC + 2 (Clemson, probably, and definitely FSU) that are the real dirty players in recruiting. Yet we do a lot less, but we get caught. Maybe that's because our violations have been relatively amateurish compared to the practices of the southern schools, where it is an intrinsic part of the culture to lie and cheat and then circle the wagons to keep the NCAA out, perhaps with a dose of intimidation thrown in.

Advertisement
I have to agree on the "moving Powell position" thing. I honestly never saw him as a RB here. To me, I think his future was slot WR or DB. Very fast, but small frame guy. He would have been a scat back here at RB, and behind the likes of Duke, Yearby, and Gus, unless Gus moves to FB, he wasnt going to get much touch at RB for a while IMO. I still very much wanted him in this class, but I dont think the impact on RB depth is the real issue here. He was a situational guy at RB IMO.

I would not be surprised if the staff maybe SUGGESTED the idea of him playing another position, and that pushed him over the edge. That is NOT making excuses for the staff, I mean you can go ahead and blame them for that too, but such a sudden change of heart just doesnt add up to me.

For once I somewhat agree with you but losing Powell still hurts. He isn't a player that will reproduce his HS highlight reel at RB at the next level, but he is a talented player that teams need in order to become very good. He isn't the King or Ace of the deck but he is a ten or a Jack, and the reality is that we need to stack the deck. We aren't where we need to be from a talent stand point at every positional unit outside of OL.

FWIW

Dieter Kurtenbach ‏@dkurtenbach 8m - I’m not surprised that Powell flipped, but I am surprised that he flipped to Florida. Didn’t know he had a strong relationship w/ that staff

Dieter Kurtenbach ‏@dkurtenbach 12m - There was something irrevocably broken in the relationship between UM and Brandon Powell, who doesn’t want to be a DB in college.

Kinda fits with what I mentioned earlier. If they were telling Powell they were recruiting Cook as a DB when there was so much evidence to the contrary, he probably felt he couldn't trust them and he'd be the one moving to DB.

This is all very interesting. I didn't read this before I wrote what I suspected about foul play by UF, because that is what I usually expect from the SEC and FSU. So, it might just be he felt disrespected by the staff, and perhaps misled. I could understand the kid's point of view. I can also understand that Al and staff wants another bigger back. I've said a million types I'm not terribly fond of backs that only weigh 170 lbs. I remember Alex Johnson and Leonard Conley, I always held my breath when they carried the ball because they were too small. Conley did all kinds of crazy, great things but he was almost smaller than the football.

We might have lost Travis Rudolph because he didn't trust what the staff was telling him. Either we have to be more straightforward with the kids, or learn to lie better, like our competition does. I don't understand why competition for playing time at the U is such a problem yet the fact UF is recruiting more backs is not. Maybe they just told him honestly what to expect, and we didn't. If Al was not too fond of Powell because he was small and not really a top end burner--something that always concerned me--than maybe he should not have led the kid to believe we were done recruiting running backs. If this is what really happened.

Kid took the money...let him go as he won't amount to anything in life....

Handouts lead to laziness, poor work ethic and a sence of entitlement...

Advertisement
Im not an insider and dont want to be considered one but take this as gospel.....

Just got off the horn with Brandon Powells massage therapist (apparently he is still suffering from a brusied groin according to him) and he said that BP told him that UM kept pushing his start date back. He felt they were giving him the runaround and he got turned off by that. Was basically the straw that broke the camels back. Because A) he wants to be a RB and UM is pitching DB and B) UM was still pursuing Dalvin Cook and not being upfront with him about their plans for him.

So he felt disrespected and bounced when UF came with the offer. He has already left for Gainesville.

Something has to be up right? Maybe the staff is cutting bait because of the sanctions? Maybe they have another RB in the fold we dont know about? I dont know but this seems strange.

Wow, 34 pages. Anyone remember how many the post about his committment to us got. MAybe is all of us paid more attention to Powell who was coming here than we did to the 2 guys who were never coming here, the kid might have ahd more reason to stay. I hate to see him go. I like this kid, but if he is a gator, well he is a gator. Slime, scales, foul mouth ugly, classless swamp scum. He is going to have to go downhill fast cause I understand that he WAS a really great kid. Too bad.

Im not an insider and dont want to be considered one but take this as gospel.....

Just got off the horn with Brandon Powells massage therapist (apparently he is still suffering from a brusied groin according to him) and he said that BP told him that UM kept pushing his start date back. He felt they were giving him the runaround and he got turned off by that. Was basically the straw that broke the camels back. Because A) he wants to be a RB and UM is pitching DB and B) UM was still pursuing Dalvin Cook and not being upfront with him about their plans for him.

So he felt disrespected and bounced when UF came with the offer. He has already left for Gainesville.

Something has to be up right? Maybe the staff is cutting bait because of the sanctions? Maybe they have another RB in the fold we dont know about? I dont know but this seems strange.

This is all the therapist's fault. Kid was clearly stressed up and was in dire need of a happy ending. Next time I just hope we/they learn a female therapist will be much more beneficial. Learn to take one for the team, unbelievable :ohlord:

Advertisement
just saying, i saw the pic of powell on his in-home visit. that kid got too nice of a house to talk about ''you dont know my struggle''

thats a **** quote from a song...half of the things these kids post are jusgt lyrics to rap songs....

-dudes girlfriend probably is going to uf or some sh*t....i dunno....but like stated he always had some type of feel for uf...he had an article in the sentinel in the spring speaking on going there.

I dunno.....we just look bad closing the last two years.....major clusterf*cks...im guessing though they are trying to flip Michel or another back..and tried to slow play this kid for whatever reason.....seems they didnt want him to EE.

But all UF did was offer and he and his fam were on the turnpike north with two cornchips and a subway footlong........**** kid wheres the love....? dude could of just held out till national signingday and not ee

Wow, 34 pages. Anyone remember how many the post about his committment to us got. MAybe is all of us paid more attention to Powell who was coming here than we did to the 2 guys who were never coming here, the kid might have ahd more reason to stay. I hate to see him go. I like this kid, but if he is a gator, well he is a gator. Slime, scales, foul mouth ugly, classless swamp scum. He is going to have to go downhill fast cause I understand that he WAS a really great kid. Too bad.

This kid definitely got butthurt when the Cook thing went into full swing. If you remember, he suddenly got really interested in Tenn and took a visit up there and was all suddenly considering them. Not sure what is going on or why the staff may have been pushing his start date back. I suppose it could be something as simple as just some administrative hang up at the school, BUT, it could also be a numbers issue. Remember we had a F*CK load of commits. For a while we have been trying to figure out how they were going to make the numbers work. MOREOVER, this was assuming a kid like Trayone Gray was not going to qualify. Its possible that maybe Gray might make it in after all, or something else regarding the numbers happened and we couldnt fit Powell in as an EE? I dont know, and Im just spouting off random thoughts, but seems odd the staff would have been pushing back his EE date. Could be something as simple as B.S. admin stuff at the school, or it could have been for a reason.

Man this whole situation has really rustled my jimmies. Powell was all about the U and then this **** ******* happens. Broward county player of the year and we let him ******* slip out of our ******* fingers te day before he is supposed to enroll. WhAt a ******* joke. I've been a huge Powell fan for several months and this has officially ****ed me off. He's going to be a ******* stud for UF.

Also frustrAting no he was severely under appreciated and now everyone's freaking out about losing him.

Whatever,

'Crootin I guess.BUT **** DUDE THIS SUCKS

Guys where is that post from the FSU guy saying that Al told Powell not to enroll? I can't find it.

Advertisement
Back