Powell

I'm glad he didn't switch his committment on national television at the All-star game he played in..

Advertisement
While many thought Powell's position would be switched within his first two years, we solely recruited him as a rb.

And you know for a FACT that they NEVER mentioned any other possible position to him? Not even within the last few days?

Here's my take about switching positions. Indulge a kid in order to get him on campus; play the game.

Scenario 1: kid balls out in the position he wanted and coaches were reluctant. Everyone wins.
Scenario 2: kid is a solid player at the position he wanted to play and coaches leave him there to be a solid contributor
Scenario 3: kid struggles at this position the first year and is buried in the depth chart and plays minimally. Kid gets told in the spring or summer, hey kid, we like you and we think you can see the more at [insert different position here]. Kid either transfers or coaches uncover a gem/solid contributor.

What's the harm in playing along?

Here's my take about switching positions. Indulge a kid in order to get him on campus; play the game.

Scenario 1: kid balls out in the position he wanted and coaches were reluctant. Everyone wins.
Scenario 2: kid is a solid player at the position he wanted to play and coaches leave him there to be a solid contributor
Scenario 3: kid struggles at this position the first year and is buried in the depth chart and plays minimally. Kid gets told in the spring or summer, hey kid, we like you and we think you can see the more at [insert different position here]. Kid either transfers or coaches uncover a gem/solid contributor.

What's the harm in playing along?

agree..play the game. recruit the kid at the position he wants to play but don't take less than what you think you want or need. ie. powell wanted them to only take two backs. why should they stop at two if they have doubts he will end up at that position??

Fat Al keeps this **** up, and I'm going to decommitt too
Cool. Bye.

I get the frustration. I am too. Not happy about lots of things. But if you want to make that kind of move or drop that line instead of sticking it out,well it's your right but don't let the door hit your *** on the way out.

Advertisement
4th recruiting class and Golden has 2 South Florida running backs, Duke and Yearby. One would have played for Miami if I was the head coach and the other is here only because of Coley.
203.gif

Advertisement
It Phacking SUCKS that's all. Brandon was all set on coming down. He was stoked on coming and would communicate with Berrios about coming. Then all of a sudden a BOmb dropped on him.

Seriously WTF is going on in Coral Gables. This class was top 5 just a couple weeks ago and now it's trending downward.

Yeah, WTF is going on?!?! We've looked stellar on and off the field in the last 3 weeks.

While many thought Powell's position would be switched within his first two years, we solely recruited him as a rb.

And you know for a FACT that they NEVER mentioned any other possible position to him? Not even within the last few days?

No. However, in December we were still telling him running back from what I was told. If we tried to tell Powell he was going to play DB a couple days before his enrollment we deserve to have him flip. Tell a kid rb for 5+ months then just switch it up right before he is going to enroll? Even with the blunders by this staff recently, no way I'm believing that anecdote.

Advertisement
just saying, i saw the pic of powell on his in-home visit. that kid got too nice of a house to talk about ''you dont know my struggle''

BTW for anybody that cares.

A guy on another UF board that I trust and talk to off the board said that it wasn't just all about Golden and Penn State though that had quite a bit to do with it. He said Powell and their fam felt disrespected by Golden because they were told Miami would take two backs....and that was supposed to be Yearby and Powell. Then Golden was camped out at Cook's house, is still trying to make a late push for Sony, and is looking at some other backs. Supposedly the Powell's pressed Golden about it on his in-home a few weeks back and Golden told the Powell's they were recruiting Cook as a corner and the plan was still the same. But there was so much info. out there to the contrary so they thought Golden was bluffing them.

At that point I guess Powell reached out a little to UF's staff especially when he found out Miami was going all in on Cook. The Penn State thing I guess was the last straw because he tried to reach Golden for a few days and couldn't get a hold of them. By that point he had been contacting T-Rob on the regular and that's what led to the flip. TIFWIW.

Sounds like a very real possibility this all happened but kinda crazy to be disrespected by going after another elite back but not disrespected by being a schools plan C recruit.

Yea I feel you on that. But although UF offered him way late in the game they don't have a back committed right now. So while he was plan C he'll likely be the only back in the class unless something changes.

I find it kind of odd... Just a few weeks ago he was saying he doesn't care about what position he plays, now this comes out he was worried about Golden taking more than two backs... I mean i see what Powell did, but at the same time you can't blame a coach for trying to better his team? Not sayin i agree with Golden but seriously you stock pile talent wherever you go and worry about who goes where later.
BTW for anybody that cares.

A guy on another UF board that I trust and talk to off the board said that it wasn't just all about Golden and Penn State though that had quite a bit to do with it. He said Powell and their fam felt disrespected by Golden because they were told Miami would take two backs....and that was supposed to be Yearby and Powell. Then Golden was camped out at Cook's house, is still trying to make a late push for Sony, and is looking at some other backs. Supposedly the Powell's pressed Golden about it on his in-home a few weeks back and Golden told the Powell's they were recruiting Cook as a corner and the plan was still the same. But there was so much info. out there to the contrary so they thought Golden was bluffing them.

At that point I guess Powell reached out a little to UF's staff especially when he found out Miami was going all in on Cook. The Penn State thing I guess was the last straw because he tried to reach Golden for a few days and couldn't get a hold of them. By that point he had been contacting T-Rob on the regular and that's what led to the flip. TIFWIW.

I don't think it's the other back as much as feeling lied to because UF is still chasing other backs. Again that's only one side of the story so TIFWIW. But it was clear Miami wasn't recruiting Cook as a corner and combined with making a late push for Sony I guess they felt disrespected because Powell had been committed this entire time and it was clear they were taking more than two backs, so the story didn't add up.

What is with these kids not wanting competition? I don't get it, and yet they still end up beating us.

Advertisement
Poster on 247 saying his coach is responsible for the flip and he may have missed some deadlines at UF, story developing and could get interesting...tifwiw

Al, Mr. Freeze, Golden is apparently "cooling" on half the class. He's really good at doing the opposite of securing commitments.

No. However, in December we were still telling him running back from what I was told. If we tried to tell Powell he was going to play DB a couple days before his enrollment we deserve to have him flip. Tell a kid rb for 5+ months then just switch it up right before he is going to enroll? Even with the blunders by this staff recently, no way I'm believing that anecdote.

Im not suggesting the staff would be stupid enough to couch it like that. Im just wondering if maybe they simply asked him if he was interested in trying out at at a different spot, and the kid freaked out.

Poster on 247 saying his coach is responsible for the flip and he may have missed some deadlines at UF, story developing and could get interesting...tifwiw

whatever deadlines he missed at UF will magically change for him. i wouldn't worry about it. after all according to his coach UF was always his dream school.

Advertisement
Back