Powell

so apparently the staff told him to hold up on early enrolling but why?

This, because we're stupid. I don't blame the kid. He was all set on Wednesday to enroll and then gets told to hold on. I don't blame him in the least.

Advertisement

This, because we're stupid. I don't blame the kid. He was all set on Wednesday to enroll and then gets told to hold on. I don't blame him in the least.

If true, then that should be grounds for firing Al. He sat around all week watching our class disintegrate, and then he's derelict enough to tell Powell to hold off on signing?

Y'all do know we cooled on Powell, right? I think it's bizarre that we cooled on him, but we did. Cant blame the kid for leaving

Advertisement

If true, then that should be grounds for firing Al. He sat around all week watching our class disintegrate, and then he's derelict enough to tell Powell to hold off on signing?

I don't get it. Kids a good player, but Al wasn't a huge fan it seems. I would take off to UF if you told me the day I'm enrolling that I have to wait until the fall. Also, I don't think the staff would committ to him being only a RB which is what he wants.

Al wants a big back, look out for that.....London, Howell, Gresham, some Juco, some others I'm sure.

FWIW

Dieter Kurtenbach ‏@dkurtenbach 8m - I’m not surprised that Powell flipped, but I am surprised that he flipped to Florida. Didn’t know he had a strong relationship w/ that staff

Dieter Kurtenbach ‏@dkurtenbach 12m - There was something irrevocably broken in the relationship between UM and Brandon Powell, who doesn’t want to be a DB in college.

Kinda fits with what I mentioned earlier. If they were telling Powell they were recruiting Cook as a DB when there was so much evidence to the contrary, he probably felt he couldn't trust them and he'd be the one moving to DB.

Funny thing is UF is gonna move him to and he will thank them later. Kid has NFL upside as a corner or slot guy. He has none as a RB.

I don't get it. Kids a good player, but Al wasn't a huge fan it seems. I would take off to UF if you told me the day I'm enrolling that I have to wait until the fall. Also, I don't think the staff would committ to him being only a RB which is what he wants.

Al wants a big back, look out for that.....London, Howell, Gresham, some Juco, some others I'm sure.

Alex Collins, Sony, and Jordan Scarlett are pretty big

Advertisement
i am not saying golden is a genius but there just might be more to this story. if we cooled on him maybe the staff has someone else they like or that they think they are going to land. only time will tell. personally at RB i think we need more size, not another smallish guy.

I have to agree on the "moving Powell position" thing. I honestly never saw him as a RB here. To me, I think his future was slot WR or DB. Very fast, but small frame guy. He would have been a scat back here at RB, and behind the likes of Duke, Yearby, and Gus, unless Gus moves to FB, he wasnt going to get much touch at RB for a while IMO. I still very much wanted him in this class, but I dont think the impact on RB depth is the real issue here. He was a situational guy at RB IMO.

I would not be surprised if the staff maybe SUGGESTED the idea of him playing another position, and that pushed him over the edge. That is NOT making excuses for the staff, I mean you can go ahead and blame them for that too, but such a sudden change of heart just doesnt add up to me.

FWIW

Dieter Kurtenbach ‏@dkurtenbach 8m - I’m not surprised that Powell flipped, but I am surprised that he flipped to Florida. Didn’t know he had a strong relationship w/ that staff

Dieter Kurtenbach ‏@dkurtenbach 12m - There was something irrevocably broken in the relationship between UM and Brandon Powell, who doesn’t want to be a DB in college.

Kinda fits with what I mentioned earlier. If they were telling Powell they were recruiting Cook as a DB when there was so much evidence to the contrary, he probably felt he couldn't trust them and he'd be the one moving to DB.

It's Al's fault he flipped, let's just get that out there, BUT it's been widely reported that we're recruiting POWELL @ DB or Slot, so I highly doubt that we were telling Powell that we were recruiting Cook @ DB.

You can't believe every rumor and that one is just stupid.

Advertisement
I have to agree on the "moving Powell position" thing. I honestly never saw him as a RB here. To me, I think his future was slot WR or DB. Very fast, but small frame guy. He would have been a scat back here at RB, and behind the likes of Duke, Yearby, and Gus, unless Gus moves to FB, he wasnt going to get much touch at RB for a while IMO. I still very much wanted him in this class, but I dont think the impact on RB depth is the real issue here. He was a situational guy at RB IMO.

I would not be surprised if the staff maybe SUGGESTED the idea of him playing another position, and that pushed him over the edge. That is NOT making excuses for the staff, I mean you can go ahead and blame them for that too, but such a sudden change of heart just doesnt add up to me.

it sucks to lose a guy but if we bring in a pure RB with some size i will be happy.

I wonder if we take a look at Corn Elder at running back now. We only have 4 scholarship running backs now. Elder is the same type of back Powell is. All I know is we are going to need another one to get through this upcoming season. ****, we can't even do spring drills..

FWIW

It's Al's fault he flipped, let's just get that out there, BUT it's been widely reported that we're recruiting POWELL @ DB or Slot, so I highly doubt that we were telling Powell that we were recruiting Cook @ DB.

You can't believe every rumor and that one is just stupid.
Not really. Plenty of coaches have said Cook could be the best DB in the country if he chose to play that position. I don't usually post 'rumors' but the guy who told me this info. I really trust.

Putting it altogether, why would there be an 'irrepairable relationship' and quotes aimed at trust issues if BP's family didn't feel like the staff wasn't being honest with them? Like I keep saying its only one side of the story so we won't know everything, but it fits with everything out there being reported. Like Miami still making a big push at Sony even before all this. Powell has also been quoted as saying the staff told him they were taking 2-3 backs so I highly doubt them chasing other backs now would be an issue. Has to be something else.

Advertisement
While many thought Powell's position would be switched within his first two years, we solely recruited him as a rb.

It Phacking SUCKS that's all. Brandon was all set on coming down. He was stoked on coming and would communicate with Berrios about coming. Then all of a sudden a BOmb dropped on him.

Seriously WTF is going on in Coral Gables. This class was top 5 just a couple weeks ago and now it's trending downward.

200.gif

Advertisement
Back