Powell

How the Fck can a kid with a 4.0 gpa be worried about a hang up with his transcript. Bull****!

I dont think that was what he was thinking. I think IF there was a hang up, it made him either panic that he might not make it in on time, or maybe he thought he was being jerked around, and bailed. Another possibility is that the transcript thing was a smokescreen and he just straight up got paid.

PSU made a good point, and its something that I also thought of earlier. UF is in full panic mode. Muschamp is already on the hot seat, and with their class imploding, I would not be surprised if they just decided to say f*ck it and do whatever it takes to get guys in, including throwing $$$ around.

there was smoke that this exact thing happened with the Dominique Easley class

Would make sense. I mean they are a big time SEC program, so its not like its all that out of the ordinary. Muschamp's job is on the line, as is the rest of the staff. Probably figured they dont have much to lose at this point, as long as they dont get caught red handed.

Advertisement
C'mon, guys. It's an SEC school. There are rich Bull Gators all over the state. Money's no object. The money thing is very, very plausible. I don't want to characterize a whole part of the country, a whole sub-culture, but southerners love their football, and will do anything to win.

I know this is going to be a controversial statement, but I strongly believe it's true. I've lived in the south and love a lot of aspects of southern culture, but they will not tolerate you messing with something so basic as their football. For them, it is truly as fundamental as religion, patriotism and refighting the War of Northern Aggression.

It would not surprise me one bit if he got paid.

Back in the '80's we were losing kids in Jimmy's first or second class that we felt we had all locked up. That's when AD Sam Jankovich, angrily said that the IRS should investigate the families of these athletes for unreported income. (I think he had one kid in mind, and his parent...who happened to be a former pro football player who had fallen on hard times financially).

It's easy enough for the NCAA to go after Miami when you had small potatoes violations by the UM booster, who was already the bullseye for the Feds. The NCAA almost never looks into what happens to the southern schools.

C'mon, guys. It's an SEC school. There are rich Bull Gators all over the state. Money's no object. The money thing is very, very plausible. I don't want to characterize a whole part of the country, a whole sub-culture, but southerners love their football, and will do anything to win.

I know this is going to be a controversial statement, but I strongly believe it's true. I've lived in the south and love a lot of aspects of southern culture, but they will not tolerate you messing with something so basic as their football. For them, it is truly as fundamental as religion, patriotism and refighting the War of Northern Aggression.

It would not surprise me one bit if he got paid.

Back in the '80's we were losing kids in Jimmy's first or second class that we felt we had all locked up. That's when AD Sam Jankovich, angrily said that the IRS should investigate the families of these athletes for unreported income. (I think he had one kid in mind, and his parent...who happened to be a former pro football player who had fallen on hard times financially).

It's easy enough for the NCAA to go after Miami when you had small potatoes violations by the UM booster, who was already the bullseye for the Feds. The NCAA almost never looks into what happens to the southern schools.

Because like you said, its a cult like devotion they have to their teams and football in those places. NO ONE would dare go against the team. Can you imagine someone living in Tuscaloosa if they blew the whistle on Bama and got the program in trouble? The whole community in those places are complicit in the behavior.

Where UM is really F*cked is that it doesnt have the $ resources to compete on that level with SEC teams buying players, being on probation, and always under the microscope of the media makes it TWICE as hard, and it also cant blow the whistle on the situation, because it would enrage the local SO Fla football "scene" which currently profits handsomely from the racket. If we dropped a dime on these kids and their families and "handlers" it would turn them all against UM. So basically UM is f*Cked and has to try to fight a massive uphill battle every year.

People want to put their heads in the sand and pretend that it doesnt happen, but its ridiculous. I mean almost every top player in So Fla has some kind of "handler/mentor" these days. They switch move, live with some of these "handlers, coaches, advisors, mentors". The kids get paid and recruited to switch high schools, there are legions of hanger ons, advisors, mentors, handlers, street agents, etc... all around these kids, and people think schools arent buying many of them? LOL. And ****, it starts as young as their optimist/Pop Warner days.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Makes me sick to lose a dynamic football player like Powell a day before he's set to enroll.

This staff is finishing with a dud.

Advertisement
Powell saw Cook leaving U*** and immediate playing time for himself. If he came here, he is 4th string at best. Don't like it, but can't blame him.

Powell saw Cook leaving U*** and immediate playing time for himself. If he came here, he is 4th string at best. Don't like it, but can't blame him.

Im sure that was a huge selling point they used with him. UF has no other backs in this class. They probably told him that he would be second fiddle behind Yearby, and that at UF he would be the man in this class. Nothing would surprise me with UF. They are in full panic mode up there, so they will say or do anything to save their jobs.

Powell saw Cook leaving U*** and immediate playing time for himself.

Matt Jones, Kelvin Taylor & Mack Brown (plus Adam Lane RS this year.. good RB) seriously doubt that.

Yup, but dont bring facts up in here.........
UF has talent at RB, **** they have some talent at WR, their main problem on offense has been adequate QB and OL play. UF's depth chart at RB is way better than ours, we have Duke and that's it.

Advertisement
I don't post much on here but a month ago (while everyone was on Dalvin Cooks jock) I posted on a different thread that we were still fine with Yearby and Powell. I got a few replies basically trashing that, how Powell wasn't anywhere near the player Cook was. Now we lose Powell and there are 36 pages on this thread mostly crying that we lost him. Lmao this board is too funny. Btw I think we are still fine with Yearby as long as we pick up 1-2 very good RBs next year.

lamar miller and mike james both started in nfl this year. duke will be in nfl. Our school doesnt lack production of nfl rb's. some of these kids just look at miami as the weakest school in florida. powell apparently only took our offer but really wanted fsu or uf

I don't post much on here but a month ago (while everyone was on Dalvin Cooks jock) I posted on a different thread that we were still fine with Yearby and Powell. I got a few replies basically trashing that, how Powell wasn't anywhere near the player Cook was. Now we lose Powell and there are 36 pages on this thread mostly crying that we lost him. Lmao this board is too funny. Btw I think we are still fine with Yearby as long as we pick up 1-2 very good RBs next year.

gus didnt play back for a guy who literally missed all of training camp. think about his production in comparison to the amount of practices he participated in.

Advertisement

Powell has never been the player/prospect Cook is, that still remains true. The reason we have 36 pages is because 1) Powell even though he isnt Cook or probably a full time RB at the next level, he is still an excellent prospect and 2) he was an EE and this appears to be a direct result of the ineptness this staff, mainly AL, have shown down the stretch of the last 2 recruiting cycles.

nycane I am from Staten Island, NY (where Gus played his HS football) and while I never saw Gus play, he is known as one of the best RBs to ever play here. And while the talent level up here isn't nearly on par with the talent level in South Florida, NFL players such as Steve Gregory, Adewale Ogunleye, Joe Andruzzi have played here. 1 more is about to enter the NFL (Dominique Easley from the Gators), so there is talent up here. I'm not saying Gus is NFL caliber but he has talent. Don't know why everyone writes him off so easily.

nycane I am from Staten Island, NY (where Gus played his HS football) and while I never saw Gus play, he is known as one of the best RBs to ever play here. And while the talent level up here isn't nearly on par with the talent level in South Florida, NFL players such as Steve Gregory, Adewale Ogunleye, Joe Andruzzi have played here. 1 more is about to enter the NFL (Dominique Easley from the Gators), so there is talent up here. I'm not saying Gus is NFL caliber but he has talent. Don't know why everyone writes him off so easily.

same as NJ. AQM played some good talent in the north jersey catholic schools. Jenkins and Hester might suprise too. All jokes aside, someone told me gus played def end his jr. year at tottenville.

Bobbydigius I can't disagree with that point. Al recruits well early but has faltered down the stretch the last 2 years. And I think this is all on him this year, not only for flirting with Penn St but also with failing to recognize that his best friend "Dorito" is a subpar DC to say the least.

Advertisement
Back