Potential depth chart changes moving forward

Advertisement
We want to bench Pope for fumbling and muffing punts. I agree with that. However the guy we replaced him with made two cardinal sin type plays on punt return against Clemson. Maybe we need to try what’s behind door #3. I don’t want guys fielding punts that are about to roll into the endzone. Or picking up what should be a dead ball and trying to run with 7 defenders right next to him. Has anybody on this team ever fielded a punt before?

will say this -- pope is a junior and shouldnt be making mistakes like he has been. 7 you can forgive considering the opponent and him being a FR.

After doing some digging, below are some potential personnel changes to keep an eye on:

WR- This one has been covered well by @CanesAreAble and others, so I'll just say this: Miami cannot be Miami without impact players at WR. Fortunately, this is an easy problem to fix. Easily attainable recruits like TuTu Atwell and Elijah Moore would have changed the face of this offense. We can get those type of kids without bags. Relevant to this year's team, expect a youth movement. The immediate beneficiary will be Keyshawn Smith.

LB- We will be seeing more of Sam Brooks and Corey Flagg. Both played well in their opportunities on Saturday.

QB2- This is more opinion than info, but I want to see TVD assume the backup role. Kosi is Kosi. We saw that on Saturday. I don't believe his experience makes us any more likely to win in King's absence. Develop your future.

PR- I was calling for Restrepo since camp, which made me feel a little dumb when he fumbled the punt into the endzone. Personally, I'd give him another chance. The dog mentality that carried him to Miami made him too eager to make a play in the rain. Hopefully, he's learned from his mistake. The first PR was actually a smart play-- Clemson had already touched the ball, so Restrepo can pick it up and try to make a play without fear of fumbling. If he did fumble, the team has the option of choosing possession at the spot of the first touch. The other names to watch here are Pope, Hall and Keyshawn Smith.
I doubt Brooks and Flagg see more rep's. Even though they both DESERVE to see more game action. The simple reason why is both Diaz and Baker cleverly LOVE to PLAY FAVORS!! For example, our HIT MAN at safety should have seen less playing time and Hall should see more playing time. But it's been the same ol' tune with Miami's " hit man. " And as everyone knows, he put the defense in HARMS WAY last game out. Thankfully, Pitt isn't a HIGH OCTANE offense with an above-average passing attack.

Scaife has struggled all year. Many expected he would excel at guard but we haven't seen that yet.

The Clark thing baffles me because Traore was benched for supposedly poor play (poor run block grade, he had a high pass blocking grade). Clark comes in and looked really bad against Clemson, but coaches stuck with him. So which is it?

The one thing we have seen in recent years, especially with this current staff is mixed messages with playing time and benchings. I struggle to see how accountability is build with expectations varying week to week.

Came in to say this. He has been my biggest disappointment on the OL. Like i continue to say...i still think his strength would be at Tackle.
-Clark likely outplays Trare in practice, game prep situations. I think they are likely close in play grades but they likely edge Clark because of that.

Advertisement
If Flagg is merely competent, he'll be a huge upgrade over Jennings, who spends more time on his back than a garage mechanic.

Jennings is now The Mechanic. We should get Jennings one of those boards with wheels that the old school mechanics use to slide themselves under cars. At least with wheels on the board he'll be faster.
Made me lol. In return, from this day forth, Jennings shall be known to me as The Mechanic.

We can clown McCloud a million times for this play, and rightfully so, but I still have to question coaching and preparation.

We see this same exact concept in high school all the time. Somehow I got 16-18 year old kids who cover that H-back coming across the formation, but an 8th year Senior LB in major D1 football can't see it?

That H-back is a vital part of that formation and more often than not, he crosses the formation to block and/or run a route. We teach our LB's to key that guy, even if he's on the other side of the formation. Where's McCloud's eye discipline?

I'm really tired of seeing **** like this because we're getting nickel-and-dimed to death by simple a$$ ****. OC's must laugh at us after watching game film. We look so ill prepared for a lot of basic concepts. We're never "DIALED IN". This isn't the first time I've seen our LB's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off.

A LB's feet can tell you everything you need to know.
Your feet follow your eyes. If his feet are all over the place, that means his eyes are too. (translation: he doesn't know WTF is going on)

How do we continue to look ill prepared for simple a$$ concepts?
Why are we so easy to fool?
Same **** we saw in the VT game last year when we let their TE have a career day.
**** is frustrating.
According to TOS, McCloud’s overall grade was 30.5 and Jennings wasn’t much better. There is no sugar-coating it anymore. They need to let the new blood play and learn.

After doing some digging, below are some potential personnel changes to keep an eye on:
Personally, I think addressing the OL is important. OL accounted for 4 penalties, maybe more but I know 53 Clark was responsible for the bulk of them.

1 of them, ok big game jitters, 4 of them? GTFO. Our guards sucked ***. Tackles played OK, but we never tested the boundary honestly.

I want OL to be switched up. 15 penalties really is an absurd amount in a major game...

Advertisement
According to TOS, McCloud’s overall grade was 30.5 and Jennings wasn’t much better. There is no sugar-coating it anymore. They need to let the new blood play and learn.

Since this season doesn't count, McCloud could actually come back again next year. That's long enough for him to have earned a medical degree at UM. He is always misdiagnosing plays, so there is something poetic about it. So at LB & Striker we have The Mechanic (Jennings- thanks @The Franchise lol) and McDoctor.

Could not agree more with this post. The poor coaching on the defense is GLARING. I get it if guys are maybe over matched athletically. But when they cannot read simple keys or even line up properly then they have no shot. This is a coaching issue. And it's not like this is only happening to 53, its happening everywhere!!!
Exactly.

We tend to harp on our lack of talent, but that wasn't "lack of talent" that had McCloud of of position there.
You don't even need to be athletic to defend that route. It's coming right at you!

That's a complete lack of knowledge, preparation and awareness.
Obviously Clemson has a very talented team, but you can keep the game a little closer by being well-coached and DIALED IN.
Coaching helps close the talent gap. Nothing about our coaching has ever shown me that we can do that.

This staff has lost to less talented teams. How in the world can they close the gap with MORE talented teams? Impossible.

Came in to say this. He has been my biggest disappointment on the OL. Like i continue to say...i still think his strength would be at Tackle.
-Clark likely outplays Trare in practice, game prep situations. I think they are likely close in play grades but they likely edge Clark because of that.

It's possible, but if that was the case i would have expected Clark to win the job coming out of camp with all those practices. Instead Traore did and only went to the bench after a poor run grade in game 1.

Advertisement
It's possible, but if that was the case i would have expected Clark to win the job coming out of camp with all those practices. Instead Traore did and only went to the bench after a poor run grade in game 1.
I think Clark was hurt leading up to game 1.

Exactly.

We tend to harp on our lack of talent, but that wasn't "lack of talent" that had McCloud of of position there.
You don't even need to be athletic to defend that route. It's coming right at you!

That's a complete lack of knowledge, preparation and awareness.
Obviously Clemson has a very talented team, but you can keep the game a little closer by being well-coached and DIALED IN.
Coaching helps close the talent gap. Nothing about our coaching has ever shown me that we can do that.

This staff has lost to less talented teams. How in the world can they close the gap with MORE talented teams? Impossible.

True, but to be fair, people mean different things when they say “talent.”

To me, talent and athleticism aren’t exactly the same thing. INSTINCT is part of being talented. Especially at linebacker, having good instincts is so important.

You might not agree, but I think instinct is something you can’t really coach. You either have it or you don’t, to an extent.

So I think we need to recruit to that. That’s why our staff has to know the kids in South Florida better than any other college team, because stuff like that will never show up in a kid’s Rivals star rating, but it’s so important.

Advertisement
I'm not sold on flagg as a starter. Wouldn't be real hard to exploit him at this point. These frosh wr's need to get in but what's holding them back is the question? Do they not know the plays kinds like bolam struggled with a couple calls? Do they no know how to read defenses if that what the system requires? I'd bench Harley even if I had to tell a wr what to do every play until he caught on.

Regardless is still feel like coaching cost Miami that game more than anything. That and dumb *** penalties.

Advertisement
Back