Potential Defense Depth Chart: 3-4 (Glenn Schumann and others)

Unmmm.... looking at youse guys depth charts....
And I don't see Leonard Taylor....

Mkay.....

But seriously we should be a multiple D.

I like what @Coach Macho posted.

These are facts. There is no more 3-4/4-3. It's multiple and dictates and adapts to what the offense is doing.
Every team has a base front. Even @Coach Macho knows that. It’s doesn’t matter is you switch back and forth or like Man over zone or playing in dime package over quarters etc. Everybody has a bread and butter base. This is UGA’s base verbatim.

Advertisement
I only see Jordan Miller TBH.
Maybe the next DL/DC can get the most out of him. LT56 at SDE, JHH at WDE.
I use number via technique but yes. Essentially what you said. LT isn’t playing up the middle in a 3-4. He’s gonna be in a position to get vertical just like he was in a 4-3.

LT is right there at 2/3 tech. He’s the starter.
Oh I didn't see him, my guy... oops

shaq-hot-ones (1).gif

I only see Jordan Miller TBH.
Maybe the next DL/DC can get the most out of him. LT56 at SDE, JHH at WDE.
True, but then that's on recruiting.
Because even if we run a 4-3, we're supposed to have some bigger bodies to play the 1-technique.

(this is where Alton Tarber would have came in and likely contributed early)

CANEMC will supplement whatever he can’t recruit by Feb with Portal gems. Sell PT, living in paradise and previous successes.

Advertisement
We don’t have the horses for a 3-4 if that’s our base alignment in 90% of 1st and 2nd downs. Not enough talent and speed at Lber and much better served using what speed we do have on the D line in a 4-3. I don’t see one guy we have at end with enough speed and strength to consistently do what needs to be done. IMO LT is the only guy who could make it work.

There’s a reason Bama and UGA make it look great. They have the guys. And plenty of them. I’m all for it when we have the right personnel though.

**** we don't have the horses for a 4-3 either. As critical as I was of Golden, one thing that He said that I agreed with, was that it was harder to staff a 4-3 because you had to have 10-12 quality D-Linemen to run it.

True, but then that's on recruiting.
Because even if we run a 4-3, we're supposed to have some bigger bodies to play the 1-technique.

(this is where Alton Tarber would have came in and likely contributed early)
Basically, lipsy effed up.
Wanted Tarber. Young bol a dawg.

**** *****... screwed up the DL and himself.
GIF-211206_112550.gif

how good is schumann at disguising coverages/blitzes?

i've become fascinated with the bellichek/flores amoeba type defense where the offense isn't sure what they're getting or who's coming play to play

Advertisement
DL JHH/E. Roberts/J. Harvey (Passing downs)
NT J. Miller/Portal/Portal
LT LT/E. Roberts/C. Williams (Passing downs)

OLB J. Williams/Huff
ILB. C. Smith/Steed/Ragone
ILB TAC/Flagg/Ragone
OLB K. Smith/J. Harrell

CB T. Stevenson/Ivey
CB M. Clarke/T. Couch
Hybrid A. Williams/T. Couch
S K. Kinchens/A. Williams
Was thinking JW in a 3-4 would definitely be sliding down inside the box. Sky is the limit with him and Chase on the field together. Also would and the #1 Juco DT as a nose guard. They could flip this D in an instant. Schumann & TAC is a match made in heaven one would think.

I don’t care who’s playing and I ain’t trying to guess who’s starting…I know one MFng thang…they better get there freaking minds right cause it’s about to go down…either ship up or ship out…Accountable is the key word moving forward…the New name for 2022 is Accountable U…it’s a New Captain guiding this ship and He don’t take Nooo bullish period…I can’t wait for spring practice it’s going to be intense on greentree…it’s time to Go work No sleep and No days off Intense…I Love it I’m fired up..Put me N coach LETS GOoooo

Advertisement
Harvey isn’t playing no DE in a 3-4 he is undersized for it with 4 down linemen
It’s a 3-4/4-3 under hybrid scheme. That’s exactly where he would play unless more bodies pushed him out to the edge.

Advertisement
Y'all always get caught up in this 4-3 versus 3-4 versus 4-2-5 ****.

ANY MODERN DEFENSE RUNS SOME VARIATION OF ALL!
You have to be multiple.

Even if a team considers themself a 3-4 defense, ultimately offensive personnel will dictate who they put out there. If the opponents offense utilizes a lot of 10 personnel (spread), you're most likely not going to see a true 3-4 defense. You'll see a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 look.

Furthermore, stop getting caught up in the position names. A 3-4 Outside Linebacker is not really a traditional Linebacker. He's basically a DE. So take Sam Brooks out of that spot. He ain't never setting the edge versus OT's and TE's. He's way too small.

When converting a 4-3 to a 3-4...
Basic rule of thumb is...
Light DE's move to Outside Linebacker
Light DT's move to Defensive End
Heavy 1-tech DT's move to Nose Tackle.

The amount of versatility that a 3-4 provides cannot be duplicated by any other scheme. It can easily adapt to any front you want by a simple slide one way or another.

Call "3-4 Under"
The DL slides one technique to the strong side.
The OLB walks down on the LOS.
Now you're in a 4-3.

Y'all get caught up in numbers that really don't matter. What matters is WHO you line up in WHAT spots and what you're asking them to do.
Preach man, preach.

I'm moreso on the Belk side or Reece. Schuman just scares me a little because seems like a D that needs talent everywhere which we are a little ways out from.

how good is schumann at disguising coverages/blitzes?

i've become fascinated with the bellichek/flores amoeba type defense where the offense isn't sure what they're getting or who's coming play to play
A short answer would be yea, but it’s in a different way than most, if taught right it’s simple imo..They use simulated pressures, it kinda relies on having a good rushers but it’s effective either way because it makes the coverage more simple so it’s not miscommunications n ****.

Manny used like traditional blitzes for the most part, where u just send more guys than they can block, sim pressures allow u to drop 6 or 7 but It’s more difficult to know who’s coming

**** we don't have the horses for a 4-3 either. As critical as I was of Golden, one thing that He said that I agreed with, was that it was harder to staff a 4-3 because you had to have 10-12 quality D-Linemen to run it.
I’m not sure you should use Al golden as a reference for how to run a good defense…

There is a bunch of literature out there about why the classic 3-4 is not a good defense for most to run. ( and bama and Georgia run a very “classic” 3-4, not a 3-3-5 one gap) The guys you need to run it are in short supply. The NT, the big fast strong ILB… and now you are asking guys like jafari Harvey to drop into coverage….

We have Zero NTs and Zero LBs that are a good fit for the 3-4.

There absolutely is a talent deficiency on the front 7 of the defense, but the talent you do have LT, Hunte, cam Williams, jafari, are much more suited for a 4-3…

The current defense is 3 or 4 players on the whole defense( DE, 2x LB and a CB) away from being good enough.

But in a 3-4, only LT, maybe hunte at an end fit the defense

Advertisement
Back