Potential Defense Depth Chart: 3-4 (Glenn Schumann and others)

Zbrod95

Thank God for the Columbus Mafia
Some 3-4 guys have come up in the search for DC, in particular guys like Glenn Schumann so I'm breaking down what that potentially would look like in comparison to 4-3 in which we all know what that would look like. I also want to mention all of the acronyms are what they use in Georgia as well.

Jack - Chantz/Jabari Ishmael/ Thomas Davis/Tyler Johnson

2/3 tech- LT/Elijah Robets/Jabari Ishmael?

Nose - Jordan Miller/Haye

5/6T- JHH/Jahfari/Jabari Ishmael?

SAM - Sam Brooks/Jabari Ishmael/Thomas Davis/Tyler Johnson

MAC - Smith/TAC/Steed/Flagg

Money- Keontra/TAC/Huff/Ragone

CB- Rique/Clarke/Blades/Curtis

CB- Ivey/Couch/Dunson/Curtis

Slot- Couch/Clarke/Curtis

S- JWill/AWill/Balom/Washington

S- Kam/AWill/Balom/Washington

Pros: We're not as bad at LB as we think. We're young and just lacking the leader in the middle to audible and get people set. DB all around is also really strong just need good bodies to add to the numbers. We currently only have 5 corners which isn't what you want from a personnel standpoint of things. You could make an argument for the need for another starter but when it comes to CB i don't think it's exactly necessary unless it's Elias Ricks or equivalent.

Cons: Where's the pass rush? Granted this move can potentially make something great out of Thomas Davis and save the career of Sam Brooks since he can play the exact position he played in HS BUT that interior outside of LT and JHH is terrible. Even if we're 4-3 it's terrible and we need reinforcements ASAP. Shemar would have to play ASAP and the same as Nyjalik on the outside. It's still a mess either way.

DL portal targets:

Jacob Licthenstein USC DL - 6'6 270 and he is a need rather if we're 3-4 or 4-3. he had 28 tackles and 4 sacks last year and declared for the portal. He's from Weston, FL. Multiple years of eligibility. He should be a take no matter what.

Darel Middleton WVU DT- Big 6'7 DT that originally played for UT before transferring. A bit of a red flag but we need help rather it's 3-4 or 4-3 in run stopping. He does that well and that's probably why his snaps dropped at WVU being that they play more upfield.

Gary Smith Duke DT- He potentially could be the starter at nose being 6'2 320. Started for Duke and recorded 28 Tackles and 1 sack. Another run first defender with productive p5 playing time. H eshould be a target no matter who else jumps into the portal. Big run stopper.

I personally would target these three and focus big time upfront next cycle. I didn't realize how much the interior needed rebuilding until I broke this down. Interior D-line looks like a 2 year rebuild in a 3-4 or 4-3. Hopefully more names hop in.

EDGE/OLB portal targets:

Geoff Cantin-Arku CUSE LB - 6'4 230 LB that was hurt this year for Cuse. I see a Zach Mcloud type guy in Geoff. When he was healthy, he had 4 sacks last year and he has the size and athleticism to make the transition to the outside rather it's a 3-4 or 4-3. He also has multiple years of eligibility.

Amir Siddiq CMU LB- 6'2 245 productive rush backer for Central Michigan. Totaled 33 tackles and 4 sacks last year and would add great depth to the edge here in a 3-4 edge capacity.

There isn't much to choose from just yet when it comes to the edge but the one that caught my eye was Geoff Cantin-Arku. He seems like the diamond in the rough pickup you could make in the portal. As of right now, take both.

LB portal targets:

Aaron Brule Miss St LB- Big loss for Miss St. 53 tackles last year with 3 sacks and 76 tackles with 4 sacks the year before is just what the LB unit as a senior/ veteran leader. He would automatically be the Mike and is an awesome blitzer.

Eric Gilyard UCF LB - Everybody know who this is. Manny refused to take him due to size but he's made up for it and has been a leader on the UCF D. Benefit with him is that there is 2 years of eligibility with him.

Antonio Montero Rice LB- Long time starter for Rice. A bit limited but really productive and will definitely be experienced. Definitely would be a leader and an upgrade over guys like Steed and Flagg.

Kris Moll UAB LB- He's local but he's a run defender. I don't think he'll be good enough to play P5 coverage but he would be a veteran that can make checks and get everybody set.

I would prefer to take 2 but it's not necessary. In particular Brule and Gilyard while letting Huff and Flagg go elsewhere. Add Gilbert this year and hopefully year 2 this is fixed.

Breakdown: **** you Manny, you incompetent boob. the front 7 is patchwork no matter what is done and who is hired for the first year or 2. DB has the potential to be really strong so if we find capable guy this should be a decent defensive. Leave it alone and it's a **** show.

Glenn Schumann would be a huge name and could probably flip the roster soon with the recruiters we're targeting. Same with a 4-3 guy like Jimmy Lake or Muschamp. I can't believe a Miami front 7, and in particular LB, looks like this. Mario needs to make this a priority just like he's doing with O-Line right now.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ivey will ride pine or transfer
I wasn't trying to be drastic to the depth chart so I left him there. The LBers changed because we're definitely going to have new starters next year.

Ivey played well to end the year. **** be needed especially is TS2 goes pro
I don’t think TS goes pro especially bringing in another DC. He’s gotta chance to show what he can do in a real system instead of ending up like Mjack.

Advertisement
Advertisement
3 man front (Multiple-D) Cover 1 and/or 3

DL JHH/E. Roberts/J. Harvey (Passing downs)
NT J. Miller/Portal/Portal
DL LT/E. Roberts/C. Williams (Passing downs)

Hybrid J. Williams/Huff
ILB. C. Smith/Steed/Ragone
ILB TAC/Flagg/Ragone
Hybrid K. Smith/J. Harrell

CB T. Stevenson/Ivey
CB M. Clarke/T. Couch
Hybrid A. Williams/T. Couch
S K. Kinchens/A. Williams

Last edited:
Wow thanks a great article

I never understood why some posters are always like "we need a 4-3" "as long as they run 4-3"

F the scheme, if it works it works

Advertisement
DL JHH/E. Roberts/J. Harvey (Passing downs)
NT J. Miller/Portal/Portal
LT LT/E. Roberts/C. Williams (Passing downs)

OLB J. Williams/Huff
ILB. C. Smith/Steed/Ragone
ILB TAC/Flagg/Ragone
OLB K. Smith/J. Harrell

CB T. Stevenson/Ivey
CB M. Clarke/T. Couch
Hybrid A. Williams/T. Couch
S K. Kinchens/A. Williams
Where’s your pass rushers? All I see are safeties that are out of position.

I wasn't trying to be drastic to the depth chart so I left him there. The LBers changed because we're definitely going to have new starters next year.
Ivey participated in senior day. Seems weird he would participate it that and then return especially when he wasnt even listed as a senior on the roster

Wow thanks a great article

I never understood why some posters are always like "we need a 4-3" "as long as they run 4-3"

F the scheme, if it works it works
I’ve been asking for this type of scheme for years. It allows for multiple looks and you can take kids like calijah Kancey and fit and mold into different sets.

Advertisement
Ivey participated in senior day. Seems weird he would participate it that and then return especially when he wasnt even listed as a senior on the roster
He’s still officially on roster and that’s what I used.

Some 3-4 guys have come up in the search for DC, in particular guys like Glenn Schumann so I'm breaking down what that potentially would look like in comparison to 4-3 in which we all know what that would look like. I also want to mention all of the acronyms are what they use in Georgia as well.

Jack - Chantz/Jabari Ishmael/ Thomas Davis/Tyler Johnson

2/3 tech- LT/Elijah Robets/Jabari Ishmael?

Nose - Jordan Miller/Haye

5/6T- JHH/Jahfari/Jabari Ishmael?

SAM - Sam Brooks/Jabari Ishmael/Thomas Davis/Tyler Johnson

MAC - Smith/TAC/Steed/Flagg

Money- Keontra/TAC/Huff/Ragone

CB- Rique/Clarke/Blades/Curtis

CB- Ivey/Couch/Dunson/Curtis

Slot- Couch/Clarke/Curtis

S- JWill/AWill/Balom/Washington

S- Kam/AWill/Balom/Washington

Pros: We're not as bad at LB as we think. We're young and just lacking the leader in the middle to audible and get people set. DB all around is also really strong just need good bodies to add to the numbers. We currently only have 5 corners which isn't what you want from a personnel standpoint of things. You could make an argument for the need for another starter but when it comes to CB i don't think it's exactly necessary unless it's Elias Ricks or equivalent.

Cons: Where's the pass rush? Granted this move can potentially make something great out of Thomas Davis and save the career of Sam Brooks since he can play the exact position he played in HS BUT that interior outside of LT and JHH is terrible. Even if we're 4-3 it's terrible and we need reinforcements ASAP. Shemar would have to play ASAP and the same as Nyjalik on the outside. It's still a mess either way.

DL portal targets:

Jacob Licthenstein USC DL - 6'6 270 and he is a need rather if we're 3-4 or 4-3. he had 28 tackles and 4 sacks last year and declared for the portal. He's from Weston, FL. Multiple years of eligibility. He should be a take no matter what.

Darel Middleton WVU DT- Big 6'7 DT that originally played for UT before transferring. A bit of a red flag but we need help rather it's 3-4 or 4-3 in run stopping. He does that well and that's probably why his snaps dropped at WVU being that they play more upfield.

Gary Smith Duke DT- He potentially could be the starter at nose being 6'2 320. Started for Duke and recorded 28 Tackles and 1 sack. Another run first defender with productive p5 playing time. H eshould be a target no matter who else jumps into the portal. Big run stopper.

I personally would target these three and focus big time upfront next cycle. I didn't realize how much the interior needed rebuilding until I broke this down. Interior D-line looks like a 2 year rebuild in a 3-4 or 4-3. Hopefully more names hop in.

EDGE/OLB portal targets:

Geoff Cantin-Arku CUSE LB - 6'4 230 LB that was hurt this year for Cuse. I see a Zach Mcloud type guy in Geoff. When he was healthy, he had 4 sacks last year and he has the size and athleticism to make the transition to the outside rather it's a 3-4 or 4-3. He also has multiple years of eligibility.

Amir Siddiq CMU LB- 6'2 245 productive rush backer for Central Michigan. Totaled 33 tackles and 4 sacks last year and would add great depth to the edge here in a 3-4 edge capacity.

There isn't much to choose from just yet when it comes to the edge but the one that caught my eye was Geoff Cantin-Arku. He seems like the diamond in the rough pickup you could make in the portal. As of right now, take both.

LB portal targets:

Aaron Brule Miss St LB- Big loss for Miss St. 53 tackles last year with 3 sacks and 76 tackles with 4 sacks the year before is just what the LB unit as a senior/ veteran leader. He would automatically be the Mike and is an awesome blitzer.

Eric Gilyard UCF LB - Everybody know who this is. Manny refused to take him due to size but he's made up for it and has been a leader on the UCF D. Benefit with him is that there is 2 years of eligibility with him.

Antonio Montero Rice LB- Long time starter for Rice. A bit limited but really productive and will definitely be experienced. Definitely would be a leader and an upgrade over guys like Steed and Flagg.

Kris Moll UAB LB- He's local but he's a run defender. I don't think he'll be good enough to play P5 coverage but he would be a veteran that can make checks and get everybody set.

I would prefer to take 2 but it's not necessary. In particular Brule and Gilyard while letting Huff and Flagg go elsewhere. Add Gilbert this year and hopefully year 2 this is fixed.

Breakdown: **** you Manny, you incompetent boob. the front 7 is patchwork no matter what is done and who is hired for the first year or 2. DB has the potential to be really strong so if we find capable guy this should be a decent defensive. Leave it alone and it's a **** show.

Glenn Schumann would be a huge name and could probably flip the roster soon with the recruiters we're targeting. Same with a 4-3 guy like Jimmy Lake or Muschamp. I can't believe a Miami front 7, and in particular LB, looks like this. Mario needs to make this a priority just like he's doing with O-Line right now.
Awesome information and post.

Advertisement
Back