Potential Defense Depth Chart: 3-4 (Glenn Schumann and others)

Advertisement
The problem at DL is our attrition has been spectacular, and not in a good way. Cam, Quentin, Holley, Blissette, etc. Manny patched it up with makeshift projects that somehow panned out like injury prone Jaelan Phillips, Roche, Johnson, and McCloud.

But now the chickens are coming home to roost. Four defensive ends and none has truly proven himself (do we know if Davis or Ishmael can even play a snap at the Division 1 level?). Two portal kids and Kelly and Stewart are must haves, biggest need on the team right now.

Defensive tackle is in a slightly better spot, we have two talented guys to start and two experienced guys to back them up. We need to find two more contributors from Haye or the portal or an instant impact freshman to give us a legit three deep.

Linebacker is actually better off than DE, which is crazy. We have experienced backups like Steed, Flagg and Brooks, one known starter in Keontra, and two who can blow up in Chase and Cave. Still time for guys like Huff, Troutman, and Johnson to contribute.

Then again, this is more a 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 personnel. This team isn't built to run the 3-4. I need the best 11 guys on the field, regardless of position.
Just no. That’s a horrible alignment even for a 3-3-5

Yea people are still jaded by D'nofrio but what they fail to realize is he was just a terrible coach. If we would of ran a 4-3 under D'nofrio our defense would of still sucked because the man can't coach. Scheme is irrelevant when you have coaches that can't teach

Ivey played well to end the year. **** be needed especially is TS2 goes pro
B3F5DFCA-9223-4857-B379-AEE5572E45BA.jpeg

He did what???

Advertisement
Yea people are still jaded by D'nofrio but what they fail to realize is he was just a terrible coach. If we would of ran a 4-3 under D'nofrio our defense would of still sucked because the man can't coach. Scheme is irrelevant when you have coaches that can't teach
Go watch the Dolphins and Pats. 2 of the best D’s and what do they use? Hybrid fronts that bend from 3-4 to 4-3. It allows to adapt to your opponent.

We don’t have the horses for a 3-4 if that’s our base alignment in 90% of 1st and 2nd downs. Not enough talent and speed at Lber and much better served using what speed we do have on the D line in a 4-3. I don’t see one guy we have at end with enough speed and strength to consistently do what needs to be done. IMO LT is the only guy who could make it work.

There’s a reason Bama and UGA make it look great. They have the guys. And plenty of them. I’m all for it when we have the right personnel though.

Advertisement
We don’t have the horses for a 3-4 if that’s our base alignment in 90% of 1st and 2nd downs. Not enough talent and speed at Lber and much better served using what speed we do have on the D line in a 4-3. I don’t see one guy we have at end with enough speed and strength to consistently do what needs to be done. IMO LT is the only guy who could make it work.

There’s a reason Bama and UGA make it look great. They have the guys. And plenty of them. I’m all for it when we have the right personnel though.
If Schumann is the guy like we’re being led to believe then this is what you’re getting. A 3-4/4-3 under hybrid Scheme and you better believe our portal guys are gonna be guys from similar schemes.

Btw I don’t know what you’re talking about. JHH and Roberts were built for this type of scheme.

Wow thanks a great article

I never understood why some posters are always like "we need a 4-3" "as long as they run 4-3"

F the scheme, if it works it works
We don’t have the size at DL there is also not a single NT on this team and we don’t have ANY LBs

The key to a strong 3-4 is a good NT and LBs

Why would we switch?

Does a 3-4 work, sure it does but with good LBs and a good Nose, we don’t have those players

We don’t have the size at DL there is also not a single NT on this team and we don’t have ANY LBs

Why would we switch?

Does a 3-4 work, sure it does but with good LBs and a good Nose, we don’t have those players
True but we don't have those players because we were recruiting for a 4-3.

Obviously whatever coach will play to our scheme but when our defense is as bad as it was this year, you don't pick a coach based on the scheme to match this subpar group of players.

You pick the best coach available, have them run a multiple D while we recruit like **** and stack it to run the coaches scheme as intended

Y'all always get caught up in this 4-3 versus 3-4 versus 4-2-5 ****.

ANY MODERN DEFENSE RUNS SOME VARIATION OF ALL!
You have to be multiple.

Even if a team considers themself a 3-4 defense, ultimately offensive personnel will dictate who they put out there. If the opponents offense utilizes a lot of 10 personnel (spread), you're most likely not going to see a true 3-4 defense. You'll see a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 look.

Furthermore, stop getting caught up in the position names. A 3-4 Outside Linebacker is not really a traditional Linebacker. He's basically a DE. So take Sam Brooks out of that spot. He ain't never setting the edge versus OT's and TE's. He's way too small.

When converting a 4-3 to a 3-4...
Basic rule of thumb is...
Light DE's move to Outside Linebacker
Light DT's move to Defensive End
Heavy 1-tech DT's move to Nose Tackle.

The amount of versatility that a 3-4 provides cannot be duplicated by any other scheme. It can easily adapt to any front you want by a simple slide one way or another.

Call "3-4 Under"
The DL slides one technique to the strong side.
The OLB walks down on the LOS.
Now you're in a 4-3.

Y'all get caught up in numbers that really don't matter. What matters is WHO you line up in WHAT spots and what you're asking them to do.

Advertisement

Why would we switch?

Sure we do.
We have guys for 3-4 DE and 3-4 OLB.
The only question is NT. And how do we know if we have one or not? We've never asked any of our bigger guys to play a zero technique.

Are you saying that we currently don't have any DT's that can play a 1-technique?

Why would we switch?

Because we’re not hiring a guy from a school like UGA and telling him to run 4-3. Especially a coach that done nothing but coach 3-4 his entire career.

Advertisement
Unmmm.... looking at youse guys depth charts....
And I don't see Leonard Taylor....

Mkay.....

But seriously we should be a multiple D.

I like what @Coach Macho posted.

Y'all always get caught up in this 4-3 versus 3-4 versus 4-2-5 ****.

ANY MODERN DEFENSE RUNS SOME VARIATION OF ALL!
You have to be multiple.

Even if a team considers themself a 3-4 defense, ultimately offensive personnel will dictate who they put out there. If the opponents offense utilizes a lot of 10 personnel (spread), you're most likely not going to see a true 3-4 defense. You'll see a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 look.

Furthermore, stop getting caught up in the position names. A 3-4 Outside Linebacker is not really a traditional Linebacker. He's basically a DE. So take Sam Brooks out of that spot. He ain't never setting the edge versus OT's and TE's. He's way too small.

When converting a 4-3 to a 3-4...
Basic rule of thumb is...
Light DE's move to Outside Linebacker
Light DT's move to Defensive End
Heavy 1-tech DT's move to Nose Tackle.

The amount of versatility that a 3-4 provides cannot be duplicated by any other scheme. It can easily adapt to any front you want by a simple slide one way or another.

Call "3-4 Under"
The DL slides one technique to the strong side.
The OLB walks down on the LOS.
Now you're in a 4-3.

Y'all get caught up in numbers that really don't matter. What matters is WHO you line up in WHAT spots and what you're asking them to do.

These are facts. There is no more 3-4/4-3. It's multiple and dictates and adapts to what the offense is doing.

Unmmm.... looking at youse guys depth charts....
And I don't see Leonard Taylor....

Mkay.....

But seriously we should be a multiple D.

I like what @Coach Macho posted.

These are facts. There is no more 3-4/4-3. It's multiple and dictates and adapts to what the offense is doing.
LT is right there at 2/3 tech. He’s the starter.

Sure we do.
We have guys for 3-4 DE and 3-4 OLB.
The only question is NT. And how do we know if we have one or not? We've never asked any of our bigger guys to play a zero technique.

Are you saying that we currently don't have any DT's that can play a 1-technique?
I only see Jordan Miller TBH.
Maybe the next DL/DC can get the most out of him. LT56 at SDE, JHH at WDE.

Advertisement
Back