Poll: Cristobal or Kiffin?

Who would we prefer between Cristobal or Kiffin?

• Cristobal

Votes: 258 77.0%
  • Kiffin

Votes: 77 23.0%

• Total voters
This would be a decision that James could not make, that’s why it’s imperative to bring in a new AD first.

Advertisement
Advertisement
At minimum, to close friends of his and of the program.

Does he need a press conference?
Of course not, I just was curious as I had not read it in any articles. I hope all of you are right and that he would really want to come back in a bad way.

Taking off my orange and green glasses, it just wouldn't seem to be a good career move (I'm sure his agent would warn him against it). He is already at a school with a benefactor (Phil Knight) who makes sure they have all the best in facilities and resources. If he keeps winning, he will get a $10 million a year pay day either at Oregon or a blue blood (Alabama, Texas, etc.).

If he comes here, it is a bit of a rebuild (I think the team has enough talent to at least win the Coastal, but still needs more talent and depth to challenge Clemson) with a fanbase not known for its patience and with a propensity for making its dissatisfaction known quite publicly. After almost 20 years of being a jumping off point for coaches on the rise (Schnelly, JJ, Erickson, and Butch), the job could be seen as a coaching graveyard for the past 20 years with no former coach getting another P5 HC job after leaving Miami.

Of course not, I just was curious as I had not read it in any articles. I hope all of you are right and that he would really want to come back in a bad way.

Taking off my orange and green glasses, it just wouldn't seem to be a good career move (I'm sure his agent would warn him against it). He is already at a school with a benefactor (Phil Knight) who makes sure they have all the best in facilities and resources. If he keeps winning, he will get a $10 million a year pay day either at Oregon or a blue blood (Alabama, Texas, etc.).

If he comes here, it is a bit of a rebuild (I think the team has enough talent to at least win the Coastal, but still needs more talent and depth to challenge Clemson) with a fanbase not known for its patience and with a propensity for making its dissatisfaction known quite publicly. After almost 20 years of being a jumping off point for coaches on the rise (Schnelly, JJ, Erickson, and Butch), the job could be seen as a coaching graveyard for the past 20 years with no former coach getting another P5 HC job after leaving Miami.
I was being sarcastic….

I wouldn’t presume Mario’s reps advising him not to take the Miami job, it’s not what they do. They negotiate his contract. He can solicit ‘career advice’ from any number of people. He’s has mentors in Butch and Jimmy, and probably others. It was Jimmy who advised him to go work for Saban (or so I read). I also don’t worry Oregon would pay Mario $10M/yr if he keeps winning. He’s got one Rose Bowl win and the win at Ohio State. He’d needs a few NC rings to even consider that type of contract.

Rebuild at Miami? Yes, some. He needs a recruiting class or two or three to fill out depth. He’d probably run off players who can’t adapt to his way. He would also staff far better coaches to work with the players remaining. Believe it or not, there are talented, young players on the roster. Many of these youngsters were recruited by heavy hitters. Bad evaluations? Yes, some, but bad evaluations of coaches, too. The pups need to be coached up.

Fanbase criticism? So what. The same fans complained about Golden and Manny. Golden wasn’t fired until he was humiliated 58-0 on national TV, at home, in front of alumni. Manny hasn’t been fired yet. We fans overrate ourselves. Our opinions aren’t given a lot of consideration unless we’re writing big checks.

There a number of posters with reputations to trust that Miami is Mario’s ‘dream job’. This doesn’t mean he’d accept an offer under any circumstances. The question for Mario is the school committed to competing a high level, reset the Miami standard, and not accept 8-win minor-bowl seasons.

I doubt he’d even be offered unless the answer was ‘yes’.

Last edited:
I would be fine with either, so I didn't vote. Offense is what wins national championships these days as there's always that offense nobody can stop, but Mario is the more complete coach IMO.

Funny though how 99 percent of the people here went from Benedict Mario (dumbass Francheese) to please save us Mario, we love you now.

Advertisement
How many other coaches out there actually view Miami as their dream job? IF Mario comes here, he's leaving a possible playoff team, with endless funding and elite facilities. He wouldn't be using UM as a temporary stop on the way to a better job. UM means a lot to him. He'd stay until we run him off or he can't do it anymore.

The same can't be said about Kiffin.
This is the only reason Mario is above Kiffin for me. I honestly believe Kiffin would jump ship for the NFL within 5 years.

Brethren, I’ll take Don Shula’s corpse over this bull chit.

But being that $ seems to be a factor, I don’t think either is realistic. W/ that said, I’ll take Saban’s once upon a time recruiting hitman & a guy who turned a **** poor G5 program into a power G5 program, Billy Napier. I think he’s most realistic & he can name drop Jerry Jeudy & Calvin Ridley.

I would be fine with either, so I didn't vote. Offense is what wins national championships these days as there's always that offense nobody can stop, but Mario is the more complete coach IMO.

Funny though how 99 percent of the people here went from Benedict Mario (dumbass Francheese) to please save us Mario, we love you now.
99%?

There’s a group of us, myself included, who said they didn’t blame him one bit for bolting from Alf to Saban. That’s a smart business decision.

Advertisement
Give me Kiffen. An offensive guru that has tons of experience and has been humbled. Comes in with a chip on his shoulder and can recruit on or maybe above Mario’s level. But who am I fooling? This administration will **** up the obvious choice sitting right in front of their faces🤷🏾‍♂️

Cristobal but money will be the obstacle. Say Miami ponied up $8MM - $9MM for him. Then what? The completion of the staff is another $5MM and I just don’t see it.

Kiffin would be less. Solid recruiter and would be bring life back as it’s on life support.

I’ll also throw out Bill O’Brian. You want a hard ***, no friend type of coach, there you go. NFL experience, check. Probably wants back in the league, check. Not perfect, but not bad either and would be less and put the money on a very good staff of coaches he could pull from nfl, Bama and elsewhere…coaching connection tree.
Y'all say Mario is unrealistic because of money (proven to be false) but want O'Brien...

Advertisement
99%?

There’s a group of us, myself included, who said they didn’t blame him one bit for bolting from Alf to Saban. That’s a smart business decision.

95% then? Either way, people were crying a river over it when not only did he go work for the best, but got a raise doing so.

Lets revisit this after Ole Miss beats Bama in 2 weeks
Boston Celtics Lol GIF by NBA

If you think Kiffin is a more realistic ‘get’…

Kiffin will make $5M in 2021, including a retention bonus if HC on 12/31/2021. Extended this past January. What makes you think Kiffin’s staff would be less expensive than Mario’s? Ole Miss’s budget for ten assistants is just over $5M.

Advertisement
Back