Poll: Cristobal or Kiffin?

Who would we prefer between Cristobal or Kiffin?

• Cristobal

Votes: 258 77.0%
  • Kiffin

Votes: 77 23.0%

• Total voters
The thing about hiring Mario.

Oregon will be under even more pressure to extend, again, if he wins the PAC12 and maybe a playoff berth at 13-0 or 12-1. If he loses a conference game or two and fails to earn a CFP berth or even win the PAC12, his CIS detractors will scream in agony if he’s hired at The U.

The Lane Train would go off the tracks if Ole Miss manages 10-3 record and a minor bowl win, 55-38, over an ACC opponent.

Good gosh if Oregon advances to the NC game, and possibly wins.

Has a HC ever left a NC or near-NC team for another school? Alma Mater/Dream Job or otherwise?

Advertisement
I was being sarcastic….

I wouldn’t presume Mario’s reps advising him not to take the Miami job, it’s not what they do. They negotiate his contract. He can solicit ‘career advice’ from any number of people. He’s has mentors in Butch and Jimmy, and probably others. It was Jimmy who advised him to go work for Saban (or so I read). I also don’t worry Oregon would pay Mario $10M/yr if he keeps winning. He’s got one Rose Bowl win and the win at Ohio State. He’d needs a few NC rings to even consider that type of contract.

Rebuild at Miami? Yes, some. He needs a recruiting class or two or three to fill out depth. He’d probably run off players who can’t adapt to his way. He would also staff far better coaches to work with the players remaining. Believe it or not, there are talented, young players on the roster. Many of these youngsters were recruited by heavy hitters. Bad evaluations? Yes, some, but bad evaluations of coaches, too. The pups need to be coached up.

Fanbase criticism? So what. The same fans complained about Golden and Manny. Golden wasn’t fired until he was humiliated 58-0 on national TV, at home, in front of alumni. Manny hasn’t been fired yet. We fans overrate ourselves. Our opinions aren’t given a lot of consideration unless we’re writing big checks.

There a number of posters with reputations to trust that Miami is Mario’s ‘dream job’. This doesn’t mean he’d accept an offer under any circumstances. The question for Mario is the school committed to competing a high level, reset the Miami standard, and not accept 8-win minor-bowl seasons.

I doubt he’d even be offered unless the answer was ‘yes’.
Agreed with just about all you said, except the fanbase criticism. I wasn't talking about fanbase criticism affecting anyone's job security. What I was talking about is just that it is an annoying and unneeded distraction. I know, "it's part of the job" and every coach deals with it to some extent. I'm just saying it is probably worse in Miami than in Oregon.

Remember when Kiffin was at USC and they fired him at the airport? :zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg: All joking aside, this could happen to Mannie after the UNC game. Mack Brown fired Mannie in the middle of the season when they were at Texas and that game could end up being another last straw for him.

Kiffin going big or going home. All in on Arch Manning.

Dream scenario: Zo is AD and decides Kiffin is the right choice for HC; Kiffin pulls Manning to Miami; we get our own Trevor Lawrence and Miami returns to the championship scene.

Surprised one of you didn't throw that fossil Butch Davis into that poll. One-hundred years from now, Miami is going to go through a coaching change and NYSOM's great grandkids going to be like, "G-pop, why don't we hire Butch Davis?"
If Miami was smart they would have just after they let Coker go. It was too much of a no brainer though. And to this day i believe he can fix our biggest problem. Scouting and talent development.

Advertisement
I'll say this about hiring Butch - if we simply can't make a good sustainable hire for whatever reason, instead of promoting another assistant, I think we should just hire Butch back with the idea that we will find the Jimbo Fischer to come on board and ultimately take over in a couple years.

This would only be a desperate act where we couldn't find anyone of quality, scenario. I'd much rather bring in someone from the get go who can build and sustain us. But, I'd rather bring in Butch if we're left with promoting another assistant from a failing staff. For every Dabo, there are a million Shannon/Diaz/Cokers.

Agreed with just about all you said, except the fanbase criticism. I wasn't talking about fanbase criticism affecting anyone's job security. What I was talking about is just that it is an annoying and unneeded distraction. I know, "it's part of the job" and every coach deals with it to some extent. I'm just saying it is probably worse in Miami than in Oregon.
Yeah, I don't know about other fanbases.

Miami is different than most schools, it's in an urban city and fighting for its spot in a city filled with competitors for the public's dollars. Same with USC, UCLA, and perhaps Washington (Seattle ?).

The Canes also are cursed with a local media looking for scandals. We all know about elite programs paying players, and yet ignored by their local media. A hint of that at Miami and the Herald/Sun-Sentinel reporters would jump on the story in order to promote themselves.

Y'all say Mario is unrealistic because of money (proven to be false) but want O'Brien...

It’s more than just offering Mario $8-9-10MM per. You have his buyout, money for top level assistant coaches and the matter of Manolo and his buyout. Not sure what it all comes out to, but just don’t see it. Mario’s buyout? Just a guess, but I’d say $15-$20MM. Contract let’s just say $8MM, assistant’s total say $5MM, and Manolo’s buyout. No idea, but let’s say $6MM. Floor is $30MM minimum and ceiling could $40-$45MM..year one.

O’Brien is a name to throw in. Someone else mentioned Napier and that’s another one. Ultimately, I think it’s an NFL coach that’s in the college ranks today but that who’s getting paid well from prior team(s) or a G5 top level guy that has won.

Btw, UCF did this w/Malzahn. Not saying he’s great, but reason he’s there is the Auburn money owed. UCF is paying the guy about $2MM per. Another $4MM estimated is Auburn’s paycheck.

It’s more than just offering Mario $8-9-10MM per. You have his buyout, money for top level assistant coaches and the matter of Manolo and his buyout. Not sure what it all comes out to, but just don’t see it. Mario’s buyout? Just a guess, but I’d say $15-$20MM. Contract let’s just say $8MM, assistant’s total say $5MM, and Manolo’s buyout. No idea, but let’s say $6MM. Floor is $30MM minimum and ceiling could $40-$45MM..year one.

O’Brien is a name to throw in. Someone else mentioned Napier and that’s another one. Ultimately, I think it’s an NFL coach that’s in the college ranks today but that who’s getting paid well from prior team(s) or a G5 top level guy that has won.

Btw, UCF did this w/Malzahn. Not saying he’s great, but reason he’s there is the Auburn money owed. UCF is paying the guy about $2MM per. Another $4MM estimated is Auburn’s paycheck.
oh, and O'Brien does not cost that money? Are you kidding me? Dude is the OC at Bama, as soon as they win the Natty, he cashes in and makes a boatload of money.

We have a booster wanting to put the money down. Stop worrying about the money.

Advertisement
Am with you.
MST was just an uncharacteristically bad day.
Alabachian hangovers.
We've just had a slow start and the beasts are about to unleash.

We run the rest of the table and all this talk will seem silly in December.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back