Players Talking About The New Staff

lol this is the guy who literally couldn’t move off his couch for months and was addicted to benzos.

He has some good advice on some issues but I prefer to think you can learn from someone regardless of their standing in life or some arbitrary measure.

I know a little bit about the guy but he was dealing seriously with pain issues. But the larger point he is making has nothing to do with his health issues. How are you trusting players to be accountable for their assignments and playbook if you are not also making them accountable for what should be the easiest and most trivial things. Take care of the little things and you can be trusted to take care of the larger things. And this is not even a Peterson idea. This idea goes back millennia and you can find in Eastern and Western philosophical and religious traditions.

Advertisement
I believe you are looking at that in the wrong way.

The military guys here will tell you, there is a reason you make your bed, keep you room clean, your boots shined, uniform proper, etc. It’s not because the military is obsessed about being tidy.

It’s about discipline. Attention to details. If you can’t be bothered to make your bed, keep a locker room/apt clean, keep your weapon clean which could possibly lead to jams in a battle, shoelaces proper so they don’t break, etc, in terms of football that means no discipline in assignments, who your supposed to block, your foot, hand techniques needed to be perfected to be better than your opponent, etc.

It’s about setting a standard and if your kids feel like they have free reign to do and look however they want, the results will speak for themselves and they have here the last 16-17 years.
I dare someone to argue this
I served. I know. It's the little things.

Can't even make your bunk, I don't want your ***** *** in the foxhole with me cause I already k ow you're about yourself.

Thanks for posting this, brother.

I believe you are looking at that in the wrong way.

The military guys here will tell you, there is a reason you make your bed, keep you room clean, your boots shined, uniform proper, etc. It’s not because the military is obsessed about being tidy.

It’s about discipline. Attention to details. If you can’t be bothered to make your bed, keep a locker room/apt clean, keep your weapon clean which could possibly lead to jams in a battle, shoelaces proper so they don’t break, etc, in terms of football that means no discipline in assignments, who your supposed to block, your foot, hand techniques needed to be perfected to be better than your opponent, etc.

It’s about setting a standard and if your kids feel like they have free reign to do and look however they want, the results will speak for themselves and they have here the last 16-17 years.
Of course, I agree with you. I'm just saying that a clean edict does not necessarily correlate to the playing field. Joe Philbin is an example.

As I said before, I hope it translates to the field, but until we can see it, I am not going to get so excited about it.

Advertisement
I know a little bit about the guy but he was dealing seriously with pain issues. But the larger point he is making has nothing to do with his health issues. How are you trusting players to be accountable for their assignments and playbook if you are not also making them accountable for what should be the easiest and most trivial things. Take care of the little things and you can be trusted to take care of the larger things. And this is not even a Peterson idea. This idea goes back millennia and you can find in Eastern and Western philosophical and religious traditions.
Yeah I agree with the point that making your bed every morning is super important and helpful towards beginning the day off on the right foot. I’ve done that everyday since I was a kid. I was lucky my parents instilled that in me.

The comment I responded to was just pointing out the irony that the quote by Jordan Peterson about not being able to give advice if you don’t make your bed in the morning is rich considering that he himself (who wrote a book and tries to advice to people all over the world) went months laying on his couch without moving because of his anxiety and substance abuse issues. So he wasn’t even making his own bed lol. Just a bit of good old fashioned irony

Last edited:
Advertisement
I dare someone to argue this
I served. I know. It's the little things.

Can't even make your bunk, I don't want your ***** *** in the foxhole with me cause I already k ow you're about yourself.

Thanks for posting this, brother.
I agree 100% best

Yeah i agree with the point. The comment I responded to was not the same point that you’re making though.

I was making a different point that it’s okay (IMO) to learn from people who regardless of their station in life because just because they do one thing well or poorly doesn’t mean they do another thing well or poorly.

I just think it’s a stupid quote if he really said it and it’s a little rich considering he isn’t perfect (no one is).

I think you misunderstand who he is and apparently the quote. I think he would be first to admit he's not perfect from what I know about him. It's a good quote because it's basically true for one, seems to hit a nerve, and also reflects the same hypocrisy you (and me) seem to be against.

I think you misunderstand who he is and apparently the quote. I think he would be first to admit he's not perfect from what I know about him. It's a good quote because it's basically true for one, seems to hit a nerve, and also reflects the same hypocrisy you (and me) seem to be against.
People like Jordan Peterson can write self-help books, and also forget sometimes the things they teach.

It’s ironic because he was so crippled by anxiety that he didn’t even move from his couch for months. That doesn’t invalidate the things he’s said or written that are still true about personal accountability.

I agree with the idea behind the quote that you should first focus on solving your own issues and being the best person you can be before you go and try to be a leader.

I just think the wording of it is ironic since he advices people all over the world, but he also couldn’t make his own bed or even get up from his couch for months after making that quote due to anxiety and drug addiction.

So his personal example invalidates the quote if you take it literally lol

Last edited:
Advertisement
People like Jordan Peterson can write self-help books, and also forget sometimes the things they teach.

It’s ironic because he was so crippled by anxiety that he didn’t even move from his couch for months. That doesn’t invalidate the things he’s said or written that are still true about personal accountability.

I agree with the idea behind the quote that you should first focus on solving your own issues and being the best person you can be before you go and try to be a leader.

I just think the wording of it is ironic since he advices people all over the world, but he also couldn’t make his own bed or even get up from his couch for months after making that quote due to anxiety and drug addiction.

So his personal example invalidates the quote if you take it literally lol

So are you comparing a guy with a crippling emotional/physical affliction not being able to do something with an able bodied person not willing to do something? I hope not.

His quote was obviously directed to people perfectly capable of performing the task yet not willing to put it in practice, not to people struggling with physical or mental afflictions. I think you entirely missed it.

I think Mario would not expect a player in traction to be able to clean his room as well. LOL

So are you comparing a guy with a crippling emotional/physical affliction not being able to do something with an able bodied person not willing to do something? I hope not.

His quote was obviously directed to people perfectly capable of performing the task yet not willing to put it in practice, not to people struggling with physical or mental afflictions. I think you entirely missed it.

I think Mario would not expect a player in traction to be able to clean his room as well. LOL
I’m pointing out the irony of the quote. I can’t believe you don’t see it yourself lol

Anyways I didnt mean to derail this thread as much as I have.

It was fun chatting with you but I’m kinda done with this convo. Respectfully, JD

Advertisement
I’m pointing out the irony of the quote. I can’t believe you don’t see it yourself lol

Anyways I didnt mean to derail this thread as much as I have.

It was fun chatting with you but I’m kinda done with this convo. Respectfully, JD
If you would have said that then it would not have gotten this far. You brought up the guys struggles with anxiety and drugs and then mention the stupidity of the quote.

Not sure where you wanted to go with that.

Advertisement
Back