Players Talking About The New Staff

Advertisement
Has spring practice begun? If not, how do they know how the coaches will get in their minds and prepare them for game day?

I'm getting old, I've seen the same s*&t said by players at the beginning of every new regime. Show me with the play on the field guys.

Yea im done with this been hearing this sh*t since Randy Shannon. Even heard it with Manny.

I gotta see it during the szn

Has spring practice begun? If not, how do they know how the coaches will get in their minds and prepare them for game day?

I'm getting old, I've seen the same s*&t said by players at the beginning of every new regime. Show me with the play on the field guys.
Yea im done with this been hearing this sh*t since Randy Shannon. Even heard it with Manny.

People often comment "I've heard this before" and "show me with results" and "I'm done winning off-season championships."

These are absolutely FAIR and VALID criticisms. We've been burned before and it's reasonable to take precautions in order to not get swept away with hopeful optimism that will make a misstep harder to digest. For what it's worth, I completely agree. I am excited and optimistic about the future, but my expectations are tempered until they are verified with objective results.

The fact remains, however, that this is the off-season. There won't be games for months.

If you want just the major headlines, there are plenty of media sources that will keep you abreast of every hire, transfer, and injury. But people come to this board around this time not just because they are interested in the big news but because they are interested in the latest rumors and in engaging in speculation. This is, after all, a message board - a place where fans gather and discuss. Often, it's irrationally polarizing with groups trending to extremes in either direction (the so-called "mopes" and "slurpers," in the semi-literate parlance of the board). If such discussion and speculation bothers you, even when it's optimism that comes directly from the players themselves, then it is far more reasonable and productive for you to abstain from visiting this board than to object to such commentary. So, this begs the question: why are you here on the off-season?

Reading between the lines throughout this interview, they seem to respect this staff significantly more than the previous one.

Some paraphrased quotes:
"Even practice they play with your mind, trying to get you prepared for game time."
"They've changed even the little things. Like our rooms were never clean, we never worried too much about that. But now all our rooms are spotless."
"Every one is on board. Some people who used to be a problem are now all bought in."
"This increase in support for the football program makes us feel the love and makes us want to play harder."
I know people will laugh, but this stuff matters. Ask Brady or Jordan.

Advertisement
It's literally only been 5 minutes - how can there have been THIS much change?
The start of a regime change is usually where the most of notable.
A new head has to put their stamp and culture on the program right away and be strict about it.

See every time a new CEO shows up (they typically slash jobs), new president (new policies), even a new boss of yours (micro manages more), it's as predictable as the sun coming up in the morning.

Advertisement
People often comment "I've heard this before" and "show me with results" and "I'm done winning off-season championships."

These are absolutely FAIR and VALID criticisms. We've been burned before and it's reasonable to take precautions in order to not get swept away with hopeful optimism that will make a misstep harder to digest. For what it's worth, I completely agree. I am excited and optimistic about the future, but my expectations are tempered until they are verified with objective results.

The fact remains, however, that this is the off-season. There won't be games for months.

If you want just the major headlines, there are plenty of media sources that will keep you abreast of every hire, transfer, and injury. But people come to this board around this time not just because they are interested in the big news but because they are interested in the latest rumors and in engaging in speculation. This is, after all, a message board - a place where fans gather and discuss. Often, it's irrationally polarizing with groups trending to extremes in either direction (the so-called "mopes" and "slurpers," in the semi-literate parlance of the board). If such discussion and speculation bothers you, even when it's optimism that comes directly from the players themselves, then it is far more reasonable and productive for you to abstain from visiting this board than to object to such commentary. So, this begs the question: why are you here on the off-season?
Why are we here? To give our opinions on topics, just like you. Sorry you don't like it, but you can abstain from reading contrary opinions just as well.

I can't speak for others, but I have no issue with the players having optimism in a new staff. They should. What gets me is the thought that this in some way "proves" that this new regime will finally have all the answers. I hope they do, but to make such conclusions before they have had even one practice, let alone game is ridiculous IMO. Of course I hope Cristobal and crew bring us back to the promised land. I'm just not willing to anoint him 2 months into his time as head coach.

I will say, he did a tremendous job making this a respectable recruiting class in the short time he had. So, so far so good.

Joe Philbin was notorious for making sure a clean locker room was kept and we saw how successful he was as a head coach.

Look, I have long been complaining about this team's lack of discipline for a long time. Until we see a reduction in false starts, late hits, and other unforced errors due to lack of discipline, I'm not going to get too excited about a clean locker room edict. Hopefully, one leads to the other.
I believe you are looking at that in the wrong way.

The military guys here will tell you, there is a reason you make your bed, keep you room clean, your boots shined, uniform proper, etc. It’s not because the military is obsessed about being tidy.

It’s about discipline. Attention to details. If you can’t be bothered to make your bed, keep a locker room/apt clean, keep your weapon clean which could possibly lead to jams in a battle, shoelaces proper so they don’t break, etc, in terms of football that means no discipline in assignments, who your supposed to block, your foot, hand techniques needed to be perfected to be better than your opponent, etc.

It’s about setting a standard and if your kids feel like they have free reign to do and look however they want, the results will speak for themselves and they have here the last 16-17 years.

Joe Philbin was notorious for making sure a clean locker room was kept and we saw how successful he was as a head coach.

Look, I have long been complaining about this team's lack of discipline for a long time. Until we see a reduction in false starts, late hits, and other unforced errors due to lack of discipline, I'm not going to get too excited about a clean locker room edict. Hopefully, one leads to the other.
Miami was 105th in penalty yards per game. Another team was 111th.

Advertisement

I agree but the difference is that this staff has the actual history where this stuff resonates a little more than it did with the coaches you mentioned. Cristobal is a seasoned head coach so this ain't talk. He has the processes in place to create the structure and enforcement to make sure talk isn't just that.

I’ve been hearing “it’s the off-season bro” as the reason for these irrationally polarizing discussions for years…. It’s not the the off-season, it’s the board and the posters…

Enjoy it. Deal with it. Or **** it. But it ain’t changing….

Advertisement
Not really. How could some players play for Manny Diaz and NOT have problems? I'd have lost my mind a long time ago if he was my head coach.
At that point you'd have to believe kids staying was truly for love of the school or the department for their degree was particularly strong

Advertisement
Back