Phillips vs Rouseau(Scouts take)

Phillips might be somewhat quite his first couple years but when it comes time for that second contract he’s going to ball out. I see Greg being more consistent through his career but not reaching the heights Phillips does.
Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

Advertisement
Who knows?? All anyone can do now is guess. It's up to the NFL. I wish them both well

Their final rankings in the draft will go some way towards providing the answer towards who's VIEWED as the better player. ....BUT considering the "scouts & talent evaluators" propensity for sometimes selecting complete BUSTS and totally missing out on some future ALL Stars, I give these rankings an overall "MEH?!" rating

The Final PROOF of WHO IS THE BETTER PLAYER ALWAYS comes from their NFL on the field performance and career
Well stats and real game action so far proved Rosseau is better. I think the same will happen in the NFL.

Well stats and real game action so far proved Rosseau is better. I think the same will happen in the NFL.
For what they're going to be required to do in the NFL, Phillips production as a true DE is on par with Rousseau

Last edited:
If you like numbers Phillips graded out much higher than GR at DE.

Houston’s Payton Turner rising up draft boards​

(4:45 PM ET) Yesterday, I mentioned Davis Mills as the fastest rising player on draft boards. If there is an equivalent on defense, it would be Houston defensive lineman Payton Turner. Turner is coming off a terrific senior season as well as three good days of practice at the Senior Bowl. Most who I’ve spoken with tell me Turner will be selected ahead of Miami’s Gregory Rousseau, and he has an outside shot of landing in the late part of Round 1.

(4:45 PM ET) Yesterday, I mentioned Davis Mills as the fastest rising player on draft boards. If there is an equivalent on defense, it would be Houston defensive lineman Payton Turner. Turner is coming off a terrific senior season as well as three good days of practice at the Senior Bowl. Most who I’ve spoken with tell me Turner will be selected ahead of Miami’s Gregory Rousseau, and he has an outside shot of landing in the late part of Round 1.

I like on field stats not what some guy in his basement is projecting.

Advertisement

Good season but not near what GR did starting only 8 games for UM.

Turner’s last season was his best one. In just five games, the Houston EDGE totaled 25 tackles, 10.5 tackles for loss, 5.0 sacks, and a forced fumble.

Averaging over 2 tackles for loss and 1 sack per game,

I am taking Rousseau first. He is a freak and the NFL is all about freaks. Sitting out a year doesn't change anything. He came in his 2nd year and dominated as soon as he stepped on the field. F the haters. Seems like a bunch of bs being spread so a team that wants him can get him with a later draft pick.
Both have injury concerns but I’ll take the kid who did everything he could
To come back not the kid who told his coach out of the blue via text he was done.

Y'all love talking about Greg being a freak but Phillips is the fvckin freak. Greg is just 8 feet tall. Other than that he has no other freakish traits. Phillips ran a **** 4.5 forty, is muscled the **** up, explosive as **** on contact and can actually bend the edge. (something Greg hasn't shown one time yet)
Kid goes hard every play.

I'm not a big believer in college stats for projecting NFL players. You can look at annual sack leaders and it's mostly dudes I've never heard of or ones who can't sniff the QB in the NFL. http://www.cfbstats.com/2020/leader/national/player/split01/category20/sort01.html

But I can't get behind Turner over GR. GR can line up inside and win with quickness and body control. Turner plays way too high and loses too many reps. He has better speed to power but that's about it. If I'm gonna take a guy who's raw and has an injury history I'll go with the guy who's over a year younger and more productive against better competition.

Pauline is very plugged in and was early to report a lot of draft stuff like Zach Wilson to the Jets or the Dolphins being out on opt out guys.

Advertisement
I'm not a big believer in college stats for projecting NFL players. You can look at annual sack leaders and it's mostly dudes I've never heard of or ones who can't sniff the QB in the NFL. http://www.cfbstats.com/2020/leader/national/player/split01/category20/sort01.html

But I can't get behind Turner over GR. GR can line up inside and win with quickness and body control. Turner plays way too high and loses too many reps. He has better speed to power but that's about it. If I'm gonna take a guy who's raw and has an injury history I'll go with the guy who's over a year younger and more productive against better competition.

Pauline is very plugged in and was early to report a lot of draft stuff like Zach Wilson to the Jets or the Dolphins being out on opt out guys.
I’m extremely biased but Phillips and Rousseau have stats and measurables, IMO. Turner and Paye getting gassed up shows how weak this DE class actually is.

It's about guys with traits who produce. Almost all of the top sack guys in the NFL had at least one dominant season in college. Danielle Hunter is an outlier and everyone gets compared to him.

If we are comparing two guys with NFL traits, production is an important factor. There is a skill to finishing plays and not everyone in the draft has that skill.

I’m extremely biased but Phillips and Rousseau have stats and measurables, IMO. Turner and Paye getting gassed up shows how weak this DE class actually is.
No doubt. I'm just scouting the top EDGE guys now in anticipation for the Bucs pick at 32 and I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

Tryon is agile and has potential in coverage but that shouldn't be the selling point for a pass rusher. He struggles with bend, power and anchor in the run game. Active hands is a nice trait but not when said hands are slow and don't generate any pop.

Oweh is just not a good football player. He plays like his head is in the clouds. I just can't with him, not even early Day 3.

I'm well aware of GR's flaws but at least I know he brings something to the table as a rusher. That's more than you can say for most of these guys.

Advertisement
No doubt. I'm just scouting the top EDGE guys now in anticipation for the Bucs pick at 32 and I'm not liking what I'm seeing.

Tryon is agile and has potential in coverage but that shouldn't be the selling point for a pass rusher. He struggles with bend, power and anchor in the run game. Active hands is a nice trait but not when said hands are slow and don't generate any pop.

Oweh is just not a good football player. He plays like his head is in the clouds. I just can't with him, not even early Day 3.

I'm well aware of GR's flaws but at least I know he brings something to the table as a rusher. That's more than you can say for most of these guys.
Do you think GR is still there at 32? They have to pick him if he is, right?

If anyone is interested This guy does some cool film breakdown. He placed defensive players into tiers based on tape.

EDGE rushers start at 14:26
Jaelan is in tier 1 at 15:26
Greg is in tier 3 at 26:37

Do you think GR is still there at 32? They have to pick him if he is, right?
No I don't, and if he is he's gotta be BPA. Bucs don't have any glaring needs so going BPA/developmental is a strong possibility. DT class is bleak, none of the EDGE guys are good except Phillips and Ojulari (more of an all-around Ravens type than bonafide rusher) who will both be gone it seems, OL has depth but an OT would be years away from starting and there's no interior guy worth taking at 32. At this point I'm in favor of trading up for Phillips or a corner or trading down.

GR doesn't really fit the Bucs scheme though aside from being a subpackage inside rusher. He'd need to bulk up to play 5-tech or 4i on early downs like Will Gholston does.

Ossai is another guy who basically has the same concerns and same playstyle as GR except he's 3" shorter, 10 lbs lighter with shorter arms and much smaller hands. I believe Rosenhaus when he says multiple teams won't let GR fall past them. There just aren't other options if you want any hope of getting pass rush impact. Same goes for Payton Turner who I'm pessimistic about but he at least has traits and potential.

Advertisement
No I don't, and if he is he's gotta be BPA. Bucs don't have any glaring needs so going BPA/developmental is a strong possibility. DT class is bleak, none of the EDGE guys are good except Phillips and Ojulari (more of an all-around Ravens type than bonafide rusher) who will both be gone it seems, OL has depth but an OT would be years away from starting and there's no interior guy worth taking at 32. At this point I'm in favor of trading up for Phillips or a corner or trading down.

GR doesn't really fit the Bucs scheme though aside from being a subpackage inside rusher. He'd need to bulk up to play 5-tech or 4i on early downs like Will Gholston does.

Ossai is another guy who basically has the same concerns and same playstyle as GR except he's 3" shorter, 10 lbs lighter with shorter arms and much smaller hands. I believe Rosenhaus when he says multiple teams won't let GR fall past them. There just aren't other options if you want any hope of getting pass rush impact. Same goes for Payton Turner who I'm pessimistic about but he at least has traits and potential.
I’ve compared GR to Ryan (Gholston) on here before. Ryan came in the league at 280 and has stayed there. GR was 266 at pro day. Both are 6’6 and if GR can gain 10-15 lbs I can see him being a consistent plugger like Ryan. Not overly explosive, but is always where he needs to be and will occasionally wow you with freakishly strength and length

If anyone is interested This guy does some cool film breakdown. He placed defensive players into tiers based on tape.

EDGE rushers start at 14:26
Jaelan is in tier 1 at 15:26
Greg is in tier 3 at 26:37

He's got some good points but he compares GR to some average players and that's when I stopped listening.

6’7, 270lbs, 11 inch hands, & long arms. Rousseau is a freak & had a 10-yard split faster than Ja’Marr Chase. Stop overthinking it lol the guy dominated CFB as a RS freshman & didn’t start until week 6. Top 10 talent imo

Advertisement
Back