Phillips vs Rouseau(Scouts take)

ajone228

Recruit
Pretty strong read with breakdown by scouts on our 3 edge players.

If you don’t have a subscription, get one. They cost like a dollar.

Rankings wise it’s:
1. Phillips
2. Paye
3. Rousseau
15.Roche

Advertisement
I don’t understand the Paye love burning probably being bias

Last edited:
I don’t understand the Pate love burning probably being bias
Elite testing numbers.

Good, but not great junior year stats. Was on a similarly solid (but not special) pace as a senior in only 4 games played. He's got a very interesting, feel-good story that I am sure some teams like. But really, it's mostly based on this testing:

1619448842508.png

They have it blank on here, but I recall he allegedly ran a 3-cone drill in like 6.5 seconds, which is pretty insane for a guy weighing 261 lbs.

Phillips and Rousseau are the top 2 edge prospects in the draft. Phillips deserves to go higher because he's a cleaner on-field evaluation. Rousseau has huge upside. There is a drop-off after those two.

Roche is a very good football player but I can see the upside concerns.

Advertisement
Phillips and Rousseau are the top 2 edge prospects in the draft. Phillips deserves to go higher because he's a cleaner on-field evaluation. Rousseau has huge upside. There is a drop-off after those two.

For Roche, I feel he’ll be a “what’s my assignment and I’ll get it done” type, if that makes sense. Sort of like a Belicheck “just do your job” type of player.

The "character concerns" aren't that Phillips is a bad guy...it's stupid old-school football mindsets that you can't love football if you have other interests. Obviously the scumbag UCLA coaches like Chip Kelly badmouthed Phillips from his time there saying he's more about music than football and he's immature and yadayada.

For me it's quite simple - watch one series of Phillips at Miami and tell me he doesn't love football. You can't fake tenacity like that.

If there's a real concern with him it's concussions.

Advertisement
Phillips and Rousseau are #1 #2 for me objectively viewing it. Paye and Oweh are just elite testing numbers as far as I'm concerned...the same scouts that are questioning Rousseau's body of work are the same dudes jizzing over the collective 35 sacks between the other 2 in their full 4/5 years put together.. ***** goofy to me.

I still think GR is the #1 DE in the draft. I like Phillips, a lot, but you can't fake stats that GR put up in 2019. He has a skill set that doesn't come around very often.

I can see Phillips being taken first, as he will fit better with certain styles of D. However, GR is the kind of guy you build a D around. That's just my two cents.

Advertisement
I heard there are some character concerns from back in UCLA, beyond the retirement. Apparently he's owned up to them and had no such issues at Miami.

The coaches at Miami swear by him and confirm he practiced the same way he played. His actions speak for themselves.

The "character concerns" aren't that Phillips is a bad guy...it's stupid old-school football mindsets that you can't love football if you have other interests. Obviously the scumbag UCLA coaches like Chip Kelly badmouthed Phillips from his time there saying he's more about music than football and he's immature and yadayada.

For me it's quite simple - watch one series of Phillips at Miami and tell me he doesn't love football. You can't fake tenacity like that.

He is one of the best effort guys I’ve seen in a long time. Nobody was playing harder than Phillips in 2020.

Advertisement

Where do our guys project based on what you’ve been hearing?

I mean both played essentially one year

I am taking Rousseau first. He is a freak and the NFL is all about freaks. Sitting out a year doesn't change anything. He came in his 2nd year and dominated as soon as he stepped on the field. F the haters. Seems like a bunch of bs being spread so a team that wants him can get him with a later draft pick.

Advertisement
Back