Phillip Dorsett

Advertisement
I realize I'm in the minority here...but I've actually seen things in his game I DON'T like. Not to say he's not a good player...but I don't think he'll ever be great.

He's great in a straight line...a guy you can send on a 9 route and he will gain separation. That same speed allows him to get separation on things like hitches and slants because corners are forced to respect the speed. So I've established I have no issue with anyone who says his separation skills aren't good.

I won't even get into the hands thing...guys drop balls. It could be a recurring issue and it might not be....still too early to judge in that regard. My issue with Dorsett is his run after the catch ability, or lack thereof. He's got that typy-toe thing going that guys tend to keep forever. He's not explosive once the ball is in his hands and he's doesn't have the wiggle you'd expect out of someone with that skill set. He hesitates a lot with the ball in his hands doesn't make guys miss. He also runs hunched over which just further slows him down. I think some of it is the fact he doesn't have that knack for spotting lanes in traffic...what most of refer to as vision, in a football sense.

In my humble opinion...he's a Randall Hill type. A burner....a guy who's straight line speed is undeniable and is an asset. However....I just have a feeling he'll never be "great". The great ones tend to be guys who were dangerous AFTER the catch, in traffic, WITH the ball in their hands. He's just not that type of player.

Again...just my opinion. Overall I like him and the fact he's got a very specific role is a good thing.

Two words: Malcolm Lewis.

You think he'll be the same after his injury?

I believe he will come back wih a chip on his shoulder, and be better than before. He was the most promising freshman receiver early(BC game). From what everyone has said about his demeanor, the kid is a warrior. I look for big things from him.

Dorsett has great speed no doubt about it. If he can be more consistant with his hands the sky is the limit. But we have some playmakers making themselves known, and a platooning WR core looks inevitable. = less catches.

Advertisement
Gotta stop calling him Santana though...he's not Santana...but he can be a helluva wide receiver being Phillip Dorsett.

Never said Dorsett was Santana. Not nearly as good with the ball in his hands and doesn't have the vertical leap Santana did.

However, Dorsett is the first guy since Santana to have that combination of speed, route running and quickness. We've had fast guys, quick guys and good route runners in the past decade, but not all three.

what about travis benjamin?

Dorsett is not Santana and D wasn't saying that he is. But Santana did have a huge drop on the opening drive of the 98 FSU game eerily similar to Dorsett's drop against ND.

Dorsett is already a good player for us. I see a lot of potential in him as well. We are going to have a monster team next year.

Gotta stop calling him Santana though...he's not Santana...but he can be a helluva wide receiver being Phillip Dorsett.

Never said Dorsett was Santana. Not nearly as good with the ball in his hands and doesn't have the vertical leap Santana did.

However, Dorsett is the first guy since Santana to have that combination of speed, route running and quickness. We've had fast guys, quick guys and good route runners in the past decade, but not all three.

I think the biggest difference between the two is that Santana was great at adjusting to the ball in the air and making a catch. Santana definitely had drops in his career but like someone else said I think that was more focus than skill. With Dorsett, he doesn't adjust to the ball and has plenty of easy drops in the middle of the field. Still will have a very productive next couple of years.

Advertisement
Bottom line the way I see it, we are going to be loaded at the skill positions next year. It's quite nice to say that shin after a long drought of them.

He isn't Roscoe or Santana. Both those guys had wiggle after the catch. Both could break defenders down. PD isn't that guy, but he's really good regardless.

Benjamin was a straight-line blazer, but doesn't have Dorsett's ability to sink his hips as a route-runner.

Dorsett's hands are very consistent in practice, which tells me the midseason swoon was a combination of jitters and lack of confidence following ND. The way he caught the ball in the last four games is more indicative of who he is, IMO.

He's only gonna get better. I'll take 800+ yards and 4 TDs from a true soph, especially when he wasn't exactly an elite WR coming out of HS.

Advertisement
If you want to see a pretty good indication of how Dorsett should be used and probably will be used in the NFL, check out how Denver and Peyton Manning use Brandon Stokely. Dorsett was thrust into the "#1" WR role and placed on the outside, but he should be doing his most serious damage inside and forcing defenses (LBs and Safeties) to respect him over the top, which would clear out underneath routes for guys like Walford, Scott and our RBs.

With Duke forcing defenses (LBs specifically) to lean forward next year, Fisch will have an opportunity to utilize Dorsett as a "pick your poison" alternative. If you'll notice the bomb he dropped on that first play against ND, he was out of the slot, I believe.

If you want to see a pretty good indication of how Dorsett should be used and probably will be used in the NFL, check out how Denver and Peyton Manning use Brandon Stokely. Dorsett was thrust into the "#1" WR role and placed on the outside, but he should be doing his most serious damage inside and forcing defenses (LBs and Safeties) to respect him over the top, which would clear out underneath routes for guys like Walford, Scott and our RBs.

With Duke forcing defenses (LBs specifically) to lean forward next year, Fisch will have an opportunity to utilize Dorsett as a "pick your poison" alternative. If you'll notice the bomb he dropped on that first play against ND, he was out of the slot, I believe.

Yup. It sure would also be nice if we have another middle option like Walford. Hopefully he continues to develop, but this Sandland juco TE kid would be dynamite. If someone on the outside (Scott) continues to develop, shiiiiiiiiit, this offense would be even more unstoppable. Now, if we can only get more dedication to the running game. I guess I shouldn't complain!

Advertisement
But I think you're on to something with Dorsett playing in the slot like Stokely.

I'll have to go back and look at games from when our entire WR core was healthy to see how Fisch used him them to get an idea of how he'll be used next season.

Benjamin was a straight-line blazer, but doesn't have Dorsett's ability to sink his hips as a route-runner.

Dorsett's hands are very consistent in practice, which tells me the midseason swoon was a combination of jitters and lack of confidence following ND. The way he caught the ball in the last four games is more indicative of who he is, IMO.

He had big drops as a freshman as well, here's an example:

"Freshman receiver Phillip Dorsett dropped a pass early in the game that could have set UM up around the Bulls’ 10-yard line."
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/caneswatch/tag/phillip-dorsett/

Not saying he can't improve, but it is an issue for him right now. People should probably believe their own eyes, rather than practice reports.

I think Dorsett takes the next step in 2013. We have a great WR coach and he will get PD and the other kids working on getting better. Dorsett already gets really good seperation. If he can get his route running a little more crisp and work those double moves and whatnot, lookout.

The drops is all mental and very fixable. We've seen guys overcome it before. I think Phillip already has personally.

I think he and Morris need to work on their timing a bit in the offseason. Morris missed several TD's to him this season by over or under throwing him.

Absolutely!! And all the receivers, as well. Remember, last year Morris was recovering & could not practice spring & summer. This year they can work on routes & timing!!

He had big drops as a freshman as well, here's an example:

"Freshman receiver Phillip Dorsett dropped a pass early in the game that could have set UM up around the Bulls’ 10-yard line."
http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/caneswatch/tag/phillip-dorsett/

Not saying he can't improve, but it is an issue for him right now. People should probably believe their own eyes, rather than practice reports.

God, you're a miserable fellow.

Advertisement
Back