Phillip Dorsett

I realize I'm in the minority here...but I've actually seen things in his game I DON'T like. Not to say he's not a good player...but I don't think he'll ever be great.

He's great in a straight line...a guy you can send on a 9 route and he will gain separation. That same speed allows him to get separation on things like hitches and slants because corners are forced to respect the speed. So I've established I have no issue with anyone who says his separation skills aren't good.

I won't even get into the hands thing...guys drop balls. It could be a recurring issue and it might not be....still too early to judge in that regard. My issue with Dorsett is his run after the catch ability, or lack thereof. He's got that typy-toe thing going that guys tend to keep forever. He's not explosive once the ball is in his hands and he's doesn't have the wiggle you'd expect out of someone with that skill set. He hesitates a lot with the ball in his hands doesn't make guys miss. He also runs hunched over which just further slows him down. I think some of it is the fact he doesn't have that knack for spotting lanes in traffic...what most of refer to as vision, in a football sense.

In my humble opinion...he's a Randall Hill type. A burner....a guy who's straight line speed is undeniable and is an asset. However....I just have a feeling he'll never be "great". The great ones tend to be guys who were dangerous AFTER the catch, in traffic, WITH the ball in their hands. He's just not that type of player.

Again...just my opinion. Overall I like him and the fact he's got a very specific role is a good thing.

All of this. Guy undeniably has some assets. Guy will definitely make some plays. But he'll never dominate for the reasons mentioned above.

Hope he proves me wrong, though.

Advertisement
Dorsett is going to have a say about some records before he's done here.

PD reminds me most of Eddie Royal.

847 yards his 1st year as a starter not bad. If not for his jitters vs ND would have had over 1,000.

Advertisement
Dude has brutal drops in 1 game this season and suddenly hands are an issue? Please.

He is a great receiver but even in high school in certain games he would get open and drop some passes. Hopefully its something he works on and gets over but anyone who saw him play couldnt be surprised. Hope he grows from it

Advertisement
Dude has brutal drops in 1 game this season and suddenly hands are an issue? Please.

He is a great receiver but even in high school in certain games he would get open and drop some passes. Hopefully its something he works on and gets over but anyone who saw him play couldnt be surprised. Hope he grows from it

I watched Hank drop 3 straight wide open passes against Manatee as a Senior in HS. Dorsett is a smart and hard working kid, he can get over it, easily IMO.

And Hank had the dropsies throughout his career until he got together with Duper...and even then...it'd come out once in a while...still does.

I watched Hank drop 3 straight wide open passes against Manatee as a Senior in HS. Dorsett is a smart and hard working kid, he can get over it, easily IMO.

I remember Hankerson dropping a screen pass that was going for 50+ yards against Lakeland in the championship game when he was either a junior or senior, can't remember. Dorsett has more natural hands than Hank, I think he'll get over it too...only happened in the big games and then continued a bit after that, was nerves more than anything and loss of confidence rather than him actually having some bad hands like Hank.

Alex,

Come on bro. Dorsett dropped a lot of balls this season. Remember the ball that bounced off his face mask vs UNC? That was turrible any average D1 receiver at a place like UM makes that catch every time.

With that said he still has a lot of time to get it together. Hope that he can become more consistent and be our go to guy.

Dorsett and Weiclaw got the yips around the same time this season, and then bounced back eventually.

Greatest achievement Moss had at UM was continually bailing out Kenny Kelly in 99

Advertisement
I realize I'm in the minority here...but I've actually seen things in his game I DON'T like. Not to say he's not a good player...but I don't think he'll ever be great.

He's great in a straight line...a guy you can send on a 9 route and he will gain separation. That same speed allows him to get separation on things like hitches and slants because corners are forced to respect the speed. So I've established I have no issue with anyone who says his separation skills aren't good.

I won't even get into the hands thing...guys drop balls. It could be a recurring issue and it might not be....still too early to judge in that regard. My issue with Dorsett is his run after the catch ability, or lack thereof. He's got that typy-toe thing going that guys tend to keep forever. He's not explosive once the ball is in his hands and he's doesn't have the wiggle you'd expect out of someone with that skill set. He hesitates a lot with the ball in his hands doesn't make guys miss. He also runs hunched over which just further slows him down. I think some of it is the fact he doesn't have that knack for spotting lanes in traffic...what most of refer to as vision, in a football sense.

In my humble opinion...he's a Randall Hill type. A burner....a guy who's straight line speed is undeniable and is an asset. However....I just have a feeling he'll never be "great". The great ones tend to be guys who were dangerous AFTER the catch, in traffic, WITH the ball in their hands. He's just not that type of player.

Again...just my opinion. Overall I like him and the fact he's got a very specific role is a good thing.

You nailed it bra. That typy-toe tendency drives me crazy. I was watching one of those Rising canes video before the season started and they were doing a drill that a defender will attempt to chase down the offense player (running in a circle i believe) and the player (not sure who it was), tagged him at the end of the drill.I was like WTF.. Did he get caught.. Anyhow, we cant deny that Dorsett has elite speed which can be a huge asset to our Air attack next year, but i do agree with some of you that hes far from being flawless. His style of running is a hybrid between sinorice moss and Jenkins.

Great post i 100% agree, strickly speed guy with average hands and no wiggle after catch. With that being said his speed will strech the field and leave the underneath routes open.

Dorsett is not a straight-line speed guy. Watch him run routes-- he sinks his hips and gets out of his breaks as well as anyone on the team (along with Malcolm Lewis). Against USF, he tore them up all over the field without one catch over 10 yards.

As for Dorsett's running after the catch, I agree. That's not his game. There are plenty of great receivers who don't run that well after the catch.

What will make Dorsett a record-breaking player here is his combination of downfield speed and slot receiver skills. Most guys are one or the other.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You know what, if Ted Ginn can have an NFL career, why can't Dorsett? Ginn might be taller, but neither one particularly has much wiggle. I watched Ginn with the Fins for several years and he can blow by guys but rarely made dudes miss. In fact, he was always hesitant when he had a defender in front of him; just didn't have a knack for laterally making cuts and changing directions quickly.

Dorsett is not a straight-line speed guy. Watch him run routes-- he sinks his hips and gets out of his breaks as well as anyone on the team (along with Malcolm Lewis). Against USF, he tore them up all over the field without one catch over 10 yards.

As for Dorsett's running after the catch, I agree. That's not his game. There are plenty of great receivers who don't run that well after the catch.

What will make Dorsett a record-breaking player here is his combination of downfield speed and slot receiver skills. Most guys are one or the other.

D money hit it right on the head.. He can create separaion on any route... but hes not making anyone miss

You know what, if Ted Ginn can have an NFL career, why can't Dorsett? Ginn might be taller, but neither one particularly has much wiggle. I watched Ginn with the Fins for several years and he can blow by guys but rarely made dudes miss. In fact, he was always hesitant when he had a defender in front of him; just didn't have a knack for laterally making cuts and changing directions quickly.

He is not ted Ginn, or Travis Benjamin, or Roscoe.

He runs great routes which none of those track guys do. He is a football player. He doesnt have hands issues, he just had a bad drop at ND that stuck with him for a couple weeks.

Dorsett took a massive leap in one year.

With one of the best WR coaches in the country, UTough, and his attitude I don't see why he can't have a huge season.

This, my only concern with him this year was consistency catching the football. Dorsett seems very coachable and should make a major jump next year.

Advertisement
Back