Phillip Dorsett

He's not as good out of his breaks or nearly as dynamic as Santana, but how many guys have ever been? Tana is a guy who "quietly" will put up 700+ NFL catches, probably close to 70 TDs, 10,000 yards and actually played in an era just slightly before guys with his skillset had the advantage. He's played his entire career with "meh" QBs. Had he started his career in today's NFL, out of the slot, in spread formations...those stats would be astounding.

Dorsett really needs to fine tune his concentration. I hope to see him in motion and out of the slot more.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wrote in a thread on the recruiting board how I think some of our fans under rate this kid. There is something to be said for a guy who is consistently open. Also, I don't remember him dropping a ball in the last 4-5 games so I think that problem will be behind him.

Now, I don't think he is as good as Moss but to put it in perspective, Santana's biggest year here he caught 54 ball for 899, 16.6 ypr, 6 TD. Dorsett just put up 58 catches for 842, 14.5 ypr, 4 TDs.

I wrote in a thread on the recruiting board how I think some of our fans under rate this kid. There is something to be said for a guy who is consistently open. Also, I don't remember him dropping a ball in the last 4-5 games so I think that problem will be behind him.

Now, I don't think he is as good as Moss but to put it in perspective, Santana's biggest year here he caught 54 ball for 899, 16.6 ypr, 6 TD. Dorsett just put up 58 catches for 842, 14.5 ypr, 4 TDs.

It's a different style of football, Diego. Statistical records for passing/receiving are being shattered now.

Moss had to split balls with Reggie Wayne, among other talented WRs

It's a different style of football, Diego. Statistical records for passing/receiving are being shattered now.

Yeah I understand that. That year, 1999, our QB threw it 385 times for 2953. THis year we threw it 447 times for 3545. Was just throwing it out there because I think some don't realize what a good year Dorsett had, the early season drops clouded on overall good year.

Like I said I don't think Dorsett will be as good as Moss but think he will continue to be a really good WR for us.

Advertisement
Moss was also on another planet as a returner than Dorsett

The 2000 Canes threw the ball 30.9 times per game. The 2012 Canes threw it 38 times per game. Not to mention the rules and the way the game has evolved.

Yeah I understand that. That year, 1999, our QB threw it 385 times for 2953. THis year we threw it 447 times for 3545. Was just throwing it out there because I think some don't realize what a good year Dorsett had, the early season drops clouded on overall good year.

Like I said I don't think Dorsett will be as good as Moss but think he will continue to be a really good WR for us.

Good stuff. Appreciate the additional numbers that give it further context. Here are some other numbers:

- Reggie Wayne caught 40 balls that year.
- Bubba Franks caught 45 balls that year.
- Andre King caught 20 in 1999.
- Scott caught 38 this year.
- Mike James caught 30.

I think Dorsett takes the next step in 2013. We have a great WR coach and he will get PD and the other kids working on getting better. Dorsett already gets really good seperation. If he can get his route running a little more crisp and work those double moves and whatnot, lookout.

The drops is all mental and very fixable. We've seen guys overcome it before. I think Phillip already has personally.

I think he and Morris need to work on their timing a bit in the offseason. Morris missed several TD's to him this season by over or under throwing him.

Good stuff. Appreciate the additional numbers that give it further context. Here are some other numbers:

- Mike James caught 30.

Crazy to think we had 2 1st round WRs and a 1st round TE on that team. When I think back on the talent on those teams from 1999-2002 it really is mind boggling. To only win 1 NC in that span is a real shame.

More numbers the following season in 2000:
Dorsey 58% 2737 yards 25 TD 5 INTs
Moss 45-748-6 TD
Wayne 43-755-10 Surprising he averaged more per reception then Moss
Shockey 21-296-3
Jackson 201-1006-11 TD Forgotten man by many
Portis 77-485-2
Davenport 65-308-2

Again 2 1st round WRs, a 1st round TE, and a 2nd, 3rd, 4th Rd RBs. Also crazy how much college football has changed in the last 12 years.

Advertisement

- Mike James caught 30.

Crazy to think we had 2 1st round WRs and a 1st round TE on that team. When I think back on the talent on those teams from 1999-2002 it really is mind boggling. To only win 1 NC in that span is a real shame.

Moss 45-748-6 TD
Shockey 21-296-3
Portis 77-485-2
Davenport 65-308-2

Again 2 1st round WRs, a 1st round TE, and a 2nd, 3rd, 4th Rd RBs. Also crazy how much college football has changed in the last 12 years.

It's tragic. 2000 is probably the year that hurts the most.

As long as the dropsies are behind him...he is primed for a monster year.

Gotta stop calling him Santana though...he's not Santana...but he can be a helluva wide receiver being Phillip Dorsett.

He's not as good out of his breaks or nearly as dynamic as Santana, but how many guys have ever been? Tana is a guy who "quietly" will put up 700+ NFL catches, probably close to 70 TDs, 10,000 yards and actually played in an era just slightly before guys with his skillset had the advantage. He's played his entire career with "meh" QBs. Had he started his career in today's NFL, out of the slot, in spread formations...those stats would be astounding.

Dorsett really needs to fine tune his concentration. I hope to see him in motion and out of the slot more.

I agree, Santana killed Dorsett with the speed. Dorsett (whether hands or concentration) just needs to adjust slightly and he will put up big time numbers. Sure he had some TREMENDOUS drops but he creates mismatches out there and is open a lot. With Morris's arm, he will be open often.

Dorsett probably should have had 2-3 more TDs and 150 more yard receiving this year, just kill the drops.

Advertisement
Gotta stop calling him Santana though...he's not Santana...but he can be a helluva wide receiver being Phillip Dorsett.

Never said Dorsett was Santana. Not nearly as good with the ball in his hands and doesn't have the vertical leap Santana did.

However, Dorsett is the first guy since Santana to have that combination of speed, route running and quickness. We've had fast guys, quick guys and good route runners in the past decade, but not all three.

- Mike James caught 30.

Moss 45-748-6 TD
Shockey 21-296-3
Portis 77-485-2
Davenport 65-308-2

We should have had 3. 2000-2002.

I agree, Santana killed Dorsett with the speed. Dorsett (whether hands or concentration) just needs to adjust slightly and he will put up big time numbers. Sure he had some TREMENDOUS drops but he creates mismatches out there and is open a lot. With Morris's arm, he will be open often.

Dorsett probably should have had 2-3 more TDs and 150 more yard receiving this year, just kill the drops.

With the drops and over/under throws closer to 4-6 td's and 250+ yards. He left 2 TD's and over 100yds in the ND game.

Advertisement

With the drops and over/under throws closer to 4-6 td's and 250+ yards. He left 2 TD's and over 100yds in the ND game.

Well both of those drops were on the same possession so he only missed one td unless there's something I'm not remembering.

He doesn't have "good hands". He had key drops this season and last season. He has average or below average hands. To his credit, he does get open, but as the aforementioned Moss once said, big time players make big plays in big games.

Advertisement
Back