Phillip Buchanan’s take

Advertisement
The success of this program has this fan base impatient. I can see both arguments, but I’m willing to give him the full year before making my judgement. Also, I only have seen maybe 2 teams in all of college football that have played to their expectations. Bama and UGA
Impatient? It's been 17 years of rinse and ******* repeat. The majority of this fan base knows what a good product on the field looks like. When Butch built the team, you could literally see the improvement on the field from one year to the next. We don't see that with Manny.

Diaz is not my boy lol. But I hope he succeeds as the coach for my team. I have nothing against Mario..it’s just funny the hype he’s getting on CIS now
Hype he is getting nationwide, now. Many Miami fans, players, in particular, liked him. Vilma went on record 2-3 years ago and said he was building something special.

Advertisement
I think those bringing up Mario at FIU or questioning his gameday decisions at Oregon aren’t wrong. But the reality is every coaching hire has a huge element of risk and things may not work out. Look at Harbaugh going to Michigan. Hopefully if he winds up our coach, he has grown from those lessons and continues to grow from lessons and losses he would have here. The last five have largely failed in that area more than any.

Have you not seen the state of our basketball and baseball programs? To be fair I don’t think he had much choice with DiMare but unfortunately that’s still part of his job. He needs to go.
He was in bed with Diaz Sr and hired a Manny in the cover of night. He made a per$onal decision to the detriment of the program. He absolutely has to go.

You realize that if you're right, in today's world of real-time transfers you could literally see half of the team transferring out. Then when the next coach arrives and finds himself with barely enough bodies to field a team - a repeat of 1997 - you're going to have to give him at least three years just to hopefully rebuild to get back to where we are now. The same three years that no one is willing to give Diaz or any other coach that has walked through the door.

So get rid of the next coach after three years, and then repeat the process of transfers and rebuilds.
So you give up on ever being any good? I think you’re failing to realize how college football works.

Advertisement
Insider on this board said papa pulled major strings to get him hired. I don’t think daddy can save him but it sure isn’t an idiotic take.
I legitimately missed this. Who was the board insider who said Papa Diaz pulled strings for Manny? Seems it would be unnecessary considering he'd already been DC (and how lazy our AD is).

Advertisement
So you give up on ever being any good? I think you’re failing to realize how college football works.
No. But you have to hit on your next coach, because in 2021 at a school like Miami - with the transfer frequency that is beginning to ramp up - you could easily see major roster attrition in the short term that sets the program back.

I'm out in Texas, and even without the ease of transfers that currently exists you've seen the Longhorns reduced by their frequent coaching changes. And transfers aside, each new coach brings with him his own philosophy and a desire to recruit his guys. If Manny goes 8-4 or 7-5 this year don't expect a hypothetical replacement to go 10-2 or 11-1 in 2022. Because history generally shows otherwise in the first year. You have to hope for a turnaround and signs of growth in year 2 of a new coach (in this hypothetical scenario 2023). It's likely 2024 before you're back to an 8-4 season. And in year 3, is that enough?

I'm not saying you cannot do it, but there are huge risks in the 2021 environment that people discount. You fire your coach, and mentors/boosters/SEC coaches start making outreaches to prime talents with NIL offers and more. It's a different situation, but Gary Patterson was talking this week about how his community needs to step up their NIL game because they have SEC personnel trying to poach players off of his squad, and that they could lose upwards of twenty players.

Let's say you lured Lane Kiffin in next year and got him to commit - iron clad - that he will not retire / leave for a prime SEC job / leave for the NFL for at least five years. That's great, but what happens if the roster that he inherits is so depleted that it resembles FSU's. Are people patient enough for the years of painful rebuilding?

I do think we have a lot more going for us in the post Richt era than when we hired him after golden. That’s what ****ed me off so much about the Manny hire. We had a bad 2018, but we had some program momentum and hired Mandy as if we were a struggling G5 school. The biggest issue here is the admin. Anyone with eyes can tell you it’s a mess. All of our major sports are failing

Hold the ****-on. How can you say MANNY doesn't have the support when they've allowed HIM(MANDY ****** DIAZ) to HIRE & FIRE THREE DIFFERENT STAFFS... That's literally the definition of support. Stop defending these clown *** coaches that do nothing but tear down this program and call them out for what they are. It's not that he doesn't care. It's that he has no clue what he's doing. Hence why when you hire a football coach you at least hire someone who's played the game & has illustrated some type of knowledge of how to set forth a plan.
My dude, I am not defending Manny aside from saying that he really cares and wants Miami to be bad.

He’s not good enough for this job which should cover all of your other adjectives.

And him being able to hire, fire, rehire people doesn’t mean sh*t in terms of having support. He’s only able to do because the AD will get the boot also if Manny fails. What I mean by support is an AD & Admin that really care about football & are willing to invest in football. If you can’t understand the difference, then we will agree to disagree.

Advertisement
I don't think we've ever spent this much on coaches, he has an IPF and decent deal with Adidas; how does he not "have the support needed from the school"? He has more than any coach has ever had here..
True but when we had Nike we had support in that way and yet others (school Presidents, etc) where have problems with the image of the university, etc.

I am talking about a BOT that gives a sh*t, aside from 1 or 2 and a competent AD that cares. He only has the indoor facility because of contributions from Mark Richt & a few others. The AD took the money Richt left on the table and paid Temple $4 million for Manny. Incompetent non football people is what I am talking about and I am not defending Manny.

He’s not good enough for this job and needs to be replaced.

What may be weird is that I think Manny cares. I really think he does.

He’s just not good enough to get the results needed nor does he have the support needed from the school to make it happen but if he was good enough, that’s half the battle. He’s just not. I appreciate he cares & his vision. He’s just not able to bring it home.
I disagree with you on the support of the school. Does he have bama level of support? No and we never will but the support he’s received is sufficient and hasn’t matched the results.

He hired Lashlee and they paid him top dollar as well as TRob and Shoop and Simpson. He’s benefited from the indoor facility.

It’s like what you said. He’s not a good coach.

You’re not getting rid of the BOT so Blake is the disease potentially within the Jedi reach. And when the BOT authorizes you to purge the Hecht, I expect this to be the last thing you say to him as he’s replaced:

View attachment 154881

Also, you don't have to run off the full BOT, you just need to create a semi-autonomous sub-committee in charge of Athletics. Let the Trustees who know about athletics and care about athletics do the job in a responsible fashion.

Advertisement
Back