Pete tweet: Butch X Dorsey

Coley has done well with the QB gets, and why are we assuming butch would bring Kenny in as OC?

Advertisement
Fincane: Sorry if I went too far but you're comparisons are not valid. Not only Dorsey was one of the most accomplished, winning cerebral QB in college football but he, with Reed were practically coaching that championship team. Godesy was.....just a college QB.

Everyone here is passing judgment on Dorsey. That's fine, but we're a bit less qualified than Butch.

If Butch wants Dorsey, then Dorsey is qualified. Butch isn't playing games. Butch wants redemption.

Did some of ya'll forget that Fisch did the exact same thing? Go from an NFL QB Coach to the Univ of Miami as an OC?

In fact, that's pretty common among major schools. Fisch actually went back to college where he is currently on the Univ of Mich staff.

Fisch was an OC at the U of Minnesota prior to Miami so it's not like he had no experience with play calling.

Advertisement
Did some of ya'll forget that Fisch did the exact same thing? Go from an NFL QB Coach to the Univ of Miami as an OC?

In fact, that's pretty common among major schools. Fisch actually went back to college where he is currently on the Univ of Mich staff.

It's not only common among major schools. It's common in the m'f'in NFL. This has officially become an extreme version of a jaded and insatiable fanbase.

Fisch was an OC at the U of Minnesota prior to Miami so it's not like he had no experience with play calling.

Where he did quite poorly. During Fisch's one year trial run there:

Minnesota ranked last in the Big Ten in scoring (20.9 points per game), rushing (99.5 yards per game) and total offense (306.5 ypg) in 2009. The Gophers endured two shutout losses (Penn State and Iowa), nearly suffered another one (Ohio State) and went 10 quarters without an offensive touchdown late in the year.

First time coordinators are always a risk. However, it's a risk/reward analysis that leads a BUNCH of NFL teams to promote their position coaches to coordinators.

Leavitt would be a nice find on defense as the DC.

I'd like to see us bring in a top notch DL coach. I always think of Patrick and Orgeron, but I can't say I know too many others.

On the offensive side of the ball, I like Dorsey in whatever capacity Butch thinks he's ready for. If QB coach, then I might reach out to Norm Chow, who just got terminated at Hawaii, to gauge his interest in the OC position. As a QB mentor as OC, the guy has a bit of the King Midas touch.

KD and Ed Reed were talking , hire Ed Reed as a Defensive back coach

So people keep saying hire Reed for DBs, yet Dorsey should be OC? No thanks. Make him some kind of assistant OC and QB coach but 13 yrs of crap is too much to gamble on an experienced OC. Hire someone to mentor him.

Of course that would be ideal, but while SEC teams basically have a separate coach for walk ons, we don't even have a separate QB coach. So we will be cutting a big check to a OC and to Dorsey as QB coach comparable to Carolina? Don't see that.

UM

Advertisement
Butch has spent the past 4 years preparing for this opportunity.

He is much wiser and probably a better coach than he was when he left after the 2000 season.

He knows Dorsey better than anyone and if he thinks Dorsey is ready for the OC role, then that's fine with me.

Dorsey is young, innovative but will keep us grounded in a pro style offense that prepares QB's for the NFL.

I'm as big of a Dorsey fan as there is, but what's the evidence for his innovative nature? Not being an *** - just would like to know. I'm not a Panthers fan and do not follow them closely. In my view, there is some risk with Dorsey. There's risk with any first time playcaller. Playcalling is as much timing and feel as it is preparation.

I think the thing is, with any promotion there's always a risk. The only thing I could say about Dorsey is that he understands the QB position and *should* be able to teach it relatively well. ****, Cam Newton looks much better once Dorsey came around as far as foot work and accuracy, along with going through reads. Sure, there's certainly going to be risk going with Dorsey. But he doesn't have bad habits like Coley does (constant receiver screens), and has more experience at the collegiate level as a QB and would know how to teach up QB's. The innovation is the big question mark though, I'm not sure how much he's learned under Mike Shula, but once again, it's a risk that you would take with most OC's nowadays.

If the Carolina Panthers QB coach's name was Bobby Joe Smith, would you all want him as the next Miami OC?

If we do get Butch back and he does bring Dorsey with him, I'd hope that Butch would reach to one of his former OCs, Bruce Arians to help Dorsey out.

Did anyone watch the game last night? During a timeout on 3rd down Dorsey was there with the playsheet setting up what turned into a first down conversion. **** they even had an audible they used called "Dorsey" and Gruden called attention to it. I'm all for Dorsey. I mean let me get this straight. It was okay for Chud to go from TE coach in college to OC but slam on the brakes when Dorsey is being considered going from an NFL QB coach to an OC. Seriously!?

Advertisement
Fincane: Sorry if I went too far but you're comparisons are not valid. Not only Dorsey was one of the most accomplished, winning cerebral QB in college football but he, with Reed were practically coaching that championship team. Godesy was.....just a college QB.

Unless Dorsey was calling plays and creating game plans what he did on the field should only be celebrated and look at nostalgically. Not as a check mark in the why he should get hired column. As far as the Butch approves so we should do it sentiment, he also hired Bill Miller and John Shoop. Far too loyal to both. He isn't infallible in hiring coordinators. He hits and misses. Hiring Dorsey is an unnecessary risk. Unless I'm supposed to believe Dorsey is the next good/great coordinator. I don't trust Butch to make that evaluation as much as other people do.

To be exact Fisch went from WR coach at Denver to OC/QB coach at Minnesota 1st.

Advertisement
Is it normal for NFL OC's to get promoted from position coach without having any playcalling experience?

Yes.

23 of the current 32 offensive coordinators in the NFL were promoted from position coach to their first OC position in the league. NFL position coach was the highest they had reached in coaching. They had never been coordinators in college. So if Butch somehow did get Dorsey, I'm pretty sure that's a steal because it appears he's on track to become an NFL OC at some point in the future.

Thank god somebody does some research and post worthy information.

Butch probably retiring after 4-6 years so dorsey would be in line to be our next coach if he makes it as a coordinator here .

Did anyone watch the game last night? During a timeout on 3rd down Dorsey was there with the playsheet setting up what turned into a first down conversion. **** they even had an audible they used called "Dorsey" and Gruden called attention to it. I'm all for Dorsey. I mean let me get this straight. It was okay for Chud to go from TE coach in college to OC but slam on the brakes when Dorsey is being considered going from an NFL QB coach to an OC. Seriously!?

Aunt Dorsey.

I cracked up when I heard that.

Butch probably retiring after 4-6 years so dorsey would be in line to be our next coach if he makes it as a coordinator here .

Can you imagine Mario's face in 2020 if that were to happen as he's still an OL corch for a now senile Nick Saban that Alabama is trying to force out ala Bobby Bowden?

Advertisement
Back