Pete-Josh Newberg (Perry)

Watch 30 seconds of a highlight reel.

Form line in sand opinion.

Argue it without rhyme or reason.

CanesInSight evaluations.

Advertisement
A guy who throws that few interceptions doesn't know where the ball is going? Lol

Exactly. Some of his passes look like he's just throwing up a prayer, but when they land perfectly, time after time, it's not luck. And as you say, if he had a much high INT number the point might be valid. You simply can not get lucky that often over the course of a career. He's good. It remains to be seen if he'll need to redshirt in order to catch up, but even if he does it doesn't mean he's not going to be a good one here.

He's good and knows which of his WRs are good and what they can do.

There are probably about 3 throws on his 15 minute highlight tape that look like they are just as likely to be caught by the defender as by the WR. But, the fact of the matter is that they were not caught by the defender. And his TD to interception rate speaks for itself.

Taking those 3 out. Would you trust Richt evaluating on QB?

I trust pre-2008 Mark Richt more than post-2008 Richt right now.

You sound ridiculous. Richt had recruited Aaron Murray who was really good at uga and also Zach mettenberg who was very talented but got into some trouble at Georgia and was kicked off the team. The guy EVERYONE knew about in Georgia and had offers from everywhere Bryce Ramsey from Camden county turned out to be a dud. And mike bobo didn't recruit winston and instead went after Jacob parks who transferred out because he wasn't good and wanted to play. Richt did gift wrap uga the #1 qb and player in the country before he left though

Pre-2008 Richt's track record is better than post-2008 Richt. Aaron Murray committed to Richt in 2008. He had been recruiting Murray since 2007 or so at a minimum. That was a good evaluation. Really his last one. I'm not sure what you're debating. He went after Brice Ramsey. He sucks. It was a poor evaluation. Others made it as well. He signed him so it belongs to him. I didn't question his ability to sign top QBs. His ability to evaluate them since 2008 is in question. You don't get credit for a kid(Mettenberger) who played better for your rival than he ever did for you.

What happened right around 2008 that may have caused this shift? Hmmm...I wonder.

If he had taken a backseat to the degree that he didn't even have input on which QBs were gonna play for him he might as well have been called a designated fundraiser and not been on the field on Saturdays.

I really do think he is going to be a lot like "Johnny Football".
The way Maziel avoided the rush, found ways of wiggling out of sacks, keeping his eyes down field.
He trusted his receivers (which sometimes got him into trouble with some picks) but for the most past produced highlight reel plays for long gains and TD's.

The risk is worth the reward.

Advertisement
The way Maziel avoided the rush, found ways of wiggling out of sacks, keeping his eyes down field.
He trusted his receivers (which sometimes got him into trouble with some picks) but for the most past produced highlight reel plays for long gains and TD's.

The best team he played last season beat him twice. They sacked him seven times in the first matchup and then picked him off twice in the playoff loss. The league he plays in isn't very good and the only really talented team didn't allow that Manziel type magic.

Last edited:
The cool thing about a statement that vague is he can basically not miss. What exactly does that in-depth analysis even mean? "I didn't know where the ball was going." Does it mean his ball flutters like a knuckleball? He looks DBs off? Any details would be great, but unexpected.

The best team he played last season beat him twice. They sacked him seven times in the first matchup and then picked him off twice in the playoff loss. The league he plays in isn't very good and the only really talented team didn't allow that Manziel type magic.

Definitely a point worth highlighting. It seems Lake Gibson was one of the best defensive teams in the state. Vanguard's otherwise potent rushing game was also completely shut down in both match ups vs Lake Gibson. It's pretty clear that the Vanguard OL got completely owned in those matchups. Not an excuse for his poor performance, but context is important

Advertisement
The cool thing about a statement that vague is he can basically not miss. What exactly does that in-depth analysis even mean? "I didn't know where the ball was going." Does it mean his ball flutters like a knuckleball? He looks DBs off? Any details would be great, but unexpected.

You're expecting a recruitnik (i.e. a casual fan who watches some games) to make precise evaluations?

lmao right? Next will be "he doesn't have what it takes to be a QB at the next level".

Was silkk unavailable for comment?

latest-i-see-what-you-did-there-gif-330.jpg

The dude is biased, but he's not making some controversial argument. It's extremely rare and hard for a Freshmans QB to come in, win the starting job, and do well. Most QBs need a few years to develop.

Of course we need to do well to keep recruits, but we don't necessarily need a QB to step up and be extremely productive. We should and could win 10+ even with a below average QB given that our competition is trash.
Sorry, we ain't winning 10+ games with below average QB play, that's not happening.

Regardless of who the QB is, if they suck, we're not winning 10.

1999 comes to mind.

If the Gators under McElTooth can do it (2015 season)...

Advertisement
We're not looking for a savior!! We need a guy who won't give the game away, and can buy himself an extra sec or 2 in the pocket!! We already have saviors!...we refer to them as our front 7!! Our QB just simply needs to be steady, not a hero!! We have an awesome receiver group for heroics!!

The most profound post on this thread...that nasty d is our savior and painful kryptonite to fsu and all others

You're expecting a recruitnik (i.e. a casual fan who watches some games) to make precise evaluations?
I'd expect a recruitnik, of all people, to avoid throwing complete **** at the wall. Toss a little more explanation. Precision would be optimal, but any detail would at least make it intelligible. If his statement was truly just "I didn't know where the ball was going," wtf does that even mean?

Whether Newberg is right or wrong as far as Perry's ability in year one, Richt isn't immune from missing on QBs. He targeted Brice Ramsey and he's a better punter than QB at this point. Logan Gray. Faton Batua. Christian LeMay. He's had plenty of misses there recently which is why he was playing UVA washout Greyson Lambert in 2015.
Well, then what's your solution?

Its not about a solution. We'll see what happens but I'm not just gonna say Richt likes him so a dissenting opinion is invalid. I haven't seen enough of Perry's actual game film to even form an opinion one way or the other.
You wanna know who has seen enough game film on Perry to form an opinion one way or the other...

This is guy named Mark Richt.

Yeah and even he hasn't said he expects Perry to play year one. All he said is he'll get his shot to compete. People are taking issue with Newberg's seemingly inflammatory comments although no one in this thread has heard what he actually said besides the OP. He could be editorializing. But the comments about not being ready year one aren't crazy and have been stated by plenty of people here.

Weldon got his shot and proved to be lost. It wasn't about physical ability either. I've yet to read or hear anyone say why Perry will be different. Richt actually was bemoaning the fact that Perry wasn't here in the spring because he wanted a clearer picture of what he's capable of. So it isn't like Richt is sure he'll be ready to go.

It doesn't take a freshmen qb to come in and be elite to run this offense. Perry could be a game manager that makes plays when needed( throwing or running) without costing us with bonehead turnovers(kaaya throwing that int in the endzone against fswho last year). Im all in on perry but im not naive to think he's about to resemble his hudl in his freshmen year. Patience and excitement keeps me sane thru this transition.

Advertisement
Newberg is a sissy. Anyone who ascribes validity to a sissy's opinion on football is a sissy squared. Perry might be a year away or he might not ever succeed, but it'll be purely a coincidence if Newberg is right.

For that cumsack to claim Perry just dropped back, closed his eyes and chucked it up for grabs validates only one opinion--that Newberg is scared and that his faces doubles as a cvnt.

Whether Newberg is right or wrong as far as Perry's ability in year one, Richt isn't immune from missing on QBs. He targeted Brice Ramsey and he's a better punter than QB at this point. Logan Gray. Faton Batua. Christian LeMay. He's had plenty of misses there recently which is why he was playing UVA washout Greyson Lambert in 2015.

Name the QB's Richt has had that were good and then compare.

As a OC/HC

Danny Kanell
Thad Busby
Chris Weinke
David Greene
D.J. Shockley
Matthew Stafford
Aaron Murray

As the QB coach

Charlie Ward
Brad Johnson
Casey Weldon

The discussion was about evaluating QBs out of high school. Brad Johnson and Casey Weldon were recruited before Richt was there and both had been at FSU two years before he was the QB coach. David Greene was on the roster at UGA a year before Richt got the job.

Taking those 3 out. Would you trust Richt evaluating on QB?

Do you know if Rick "evaluated" all those guys or if he just coached many of them? I don't know who he was responsible for evaluating as an assistant at FSU. His results at UGA are a mixed bag at best.

I can't believe that some Nole fhagget can just throw some nonsense out there & a bunch of glory hole floor cleaners actually take it legitimately.

You ****heads are gullible, someone in the Real estate business needs to come across this CIS fanbase, they would make Millions selling yall sh*t property in the middle of nowhere.

Lol smh... Unbelievable.

I can't believe that some Nole fhagget can just throw some nonsense out there & a bunch of glory hole floor cleaners actually take it legitimately.

You ****heads are gullible, someone in the Real estate business needs to come across this CIS fanbase, they would make Millions selling yall sh*t property in the middle of nowhere.

Lol smh... Unbelievable.
Big ole facts

Advertisement
Back