Pete-Josh Newberg (Perry)

Advertisement
He's not wrong with thinking fans are naive and looking at him as A savior.

Anyone who's listened to the fan base over the last month has seen us look for each of the three players on campus to distance himself and lock up the position. What an out of touch statement.

You know who's opinion matters the most on Perry?...

This guy named Mark Richt, I think he's the Head Coach of Miami Hurricanes, not sure on that though (will check with my sources).

Whether Newberg is right or wrong as far as Perry's ability in year one, Richt isn't immune from missing on QBs. He targeted Brice Ramsey and he's a better punter than QB at this point. Logan Gray. Faton Batua. Christian LeMay. He's had plenty of misses there recently which is why he was playing UVA washout Greyson Lambert in 2015.
Well, then what's your solution?

Its not about a solution. We'll see what happens but I'm not just gonna say Richt likes him so a dissenting opinion is invalid. I haven't seen enough of Perry's actual game film to even form an opinion one way or the other.

The dude is biased, but he's not making some controversial argument. It's extremely rare and hard for a Freshmans QB to come in, win the starting job, and do well. Most QBs need a few years to develop.

Of course we need to do well to keep recruits, but we don't necessarily need a QB to step up and be extremely productive. We should and could win 10+ even with a below average QB given that our competition is trash.
Sorry, we ain't winning 10+ games with below average QB play, that's not happening.

Regardless of who the QB is, if they suck, we're not winning 10.

I'd usually agree with you, we won 8 with decent-to above average qb play last year, but our schedule is infinitely easier than last year.

I have Bethune Cookman, Arky State, Toledo, Duke, GT, Syracuse, and Virginia as wins regardless of QB play. You could probably include Pitt in that group. That's 7-8 wins right there. We also play a considerably weakened UNC, which by all accounts should struggle mightily on offense this year, and a rebuilding VT, both with green QB's. FSU will be rough, but ND at home is very winnable.

My point is that our schedule features so many teams that are either bad or rebuilding- and will likely have pretty ****** QB play as well. Maybe I shouldn't have said should win 10 with ****** qb play, but it's definitely possible.

We're not looking for a savior!! We need a guy who won't give the game away, and can buy himself an extra sec or 2 in the pocket!! We already have saviors!...we refer to them as our front 7!! Our QB just simply needs to be steady, not a hero!! We have an awesome receiver group for heroics!!

Advertisement

This guy named Mark Richt, I think he's the Head Coach of Miami Hurricanes, not sure on that though (will check with my sources).

Whether Newberg is right or wrong as far as Perry's ability in year one, Richt isn't immune from missing on QBs. He targeted Brice Ramsey and he's a better punter than QB at this point. Logan Gray. Faton Batua. Christian LeMay. He's had plenty of misses there recently which is why he was playing UVA washout Greyson Lambert in 2015.

Its not about a solution. We'll see what happens but I'm not just gonna say Richt likes him so a dissenting opinion is invalid. I haven't seen enough of Perry's actual game film to even form an opinion one way or the other.
You wanna know who has seen enough game film on Perry to form an opinion one way or the other...

This guy named Mark Richt.

Pete-

I know he may be biased and may be a nole, but it does not mean he is necessarily wrong.

He just did a podcast and he said he watched Perry many times in person and said often the ball would leave his hand and he had no idea where it was going. Said he is 1 at best, most likely 2 years away from starting. Said us keeping our recruits is contingent on him doing well and he thinks we are being a little naive assuminghe is a savior.

What are your thoughts on this?

Also said Justin Fields to UF which blows balls.

Therein lies the problem with watching a football game with horse ***** crusted over your eyes.

You wanna know who has seen enough game film on Perry to form an opinion one way or the other...

This is guy named Mark Richt.

Yeah and even he hasn't said he expects Perry to play year one. All he said is he'll get his shot to compete. People are taking issue with Newberg's seemingly inflammatory comments although no one in this thread has heard what he actually said besides the OP. He could be editorializing. But the comments about not being ready year one aren't crazy and have been stated by plenty of people here.

Weldon got his shot and proved to be lost. It wasn't about physical ability either. I've yet to read or hear anyone say why Perry will be different. Richt actually was bemoaning the fact that Perry wasn't here in the spring because he wanted a clearer picture of what he's capable of. So it isn't like Richt is sure he'll be ready to go.

Last edited:

Name the QB's Richt has had that were good and then compare.

Advertisement
Well, I do know one thing...

When it comes time to analyze the Miami Hurricanes & our players the hands down best source is definitely Josh Newberg, especially when it comes to QB's.

I agree with the rest of yall, hopefully Richt is smart enough to listen to Mr. Newberg & redshirt Perry for a couple years...

Because he did say "he's 1, if not 2 years away from actually being ready to start".

While we're at it, has anybody asked Newberg what he thinks about our current 2018 recruits & which ones will be busts?

That guys opinion is paramount to this team's future success.

Last edited:
The kid has a 15 minute highlight tape with his eyes down field the entire time. Let's see what he has to say when Perry is throwing "Hail Mary" passes to Richards and Harley all game long...

Yeah and even he hasn't said he expects Perry to play year one. All he said is he'll get his shot to compete. People are taking issue with Newberg's seemingly inflammatory comments although no one in this thread has heard what he actually said besides the OP. He could be editorializing. But the comments about not being ready year one aren't crazy and have been stated by plenty of people here.

Weldon got his shot and proved to be lost. It wasn't about physical ability either. I've yet to read or hear anyone say why Perry will be different. Richt actually was bemoaning the fact that Perry wasn't here in the spring because he wanted a clearer picture of what he's capable of. So it isn't like Richt is sure he'll be ready to go.
No one knows if Perry will be ready to play day 1...

That includes the great Josh Newberg.

Advertisement

Name the QB's Richt has had that were good and then compare.

Why? The point was that Richt's evaluations at QB aren't always correct. In fact recently they haven't been good so blindly trusting in Perry because Richt likes him isn't logical. In fact Perry being good would go against the recent trend. This is about Perry being good early anyway. It isn't crazy to think he may need a year.

Last edited:
Personally I don't care what anybody says about him.
Anyone expecting a HS recruiting writer to know how good a qb will be is a ******* idiot. Whether its Pete or someone else, they dont have a clue.

No one knows if Perry will be ready to play day 1...

That includes the great Josh Newberg.

Anyone acting like Richt isn't good at identifying QBs is stupid.
EVERY qb has a very high chance of not working out, its just the way the position is. Its why its such a high value position.
But just because someone has missed on the position doesn't mean he isn't a million times more trust worthy than some HS Recruiting writer....whether its Newberg or someone else.

Advertisement
Pete-

I know he may be biased and may be a nole, but it does not mean he is necessarily wrong.

He just did a podcast and he said he watched Perry many times in person and said often the ball would leave his hand and he had no idea where it was going. Said he is 1 at best, most likely 2 years away from starting. Said us keeping our recruits is contingent on him doing well and he thinks we are being a little naive assuminghe is a savior.

What are your thoughts on this?

Also said Justin Fields to UF which blows balls.

No offense, but why would you even spend time listening to a nole or ghayturd?

Newberg dont know ****. This the same dude that was saying jack allison should be a 5 star in high school when he had done nothing.

Not taking the side of Newberg and I'm in no way an evaluator or QB's or any other position but if you look at Perrys highlight tape there's a lot of balls in there that he throws up for grabs and his receivers go up and get the ball.

I even told someone we should be recruiting a couple of his WR's especially # 14.

If this kid comes in and is anywhere near as good as we all hope he is and needs to be we will be more than fortunate cause freshman QB's especially ones that aren't EE rarely do much their freshman years.

All I'm saying is that Newberg isn't entirely wrong in his assessment in my opinion..such that it is.

Advertisement
Back