Pete-Josh Newberg (Perry)

Not taking the side of Newberg and I'm in no way an evaluator or QB's or any other position but if you look at Perrys highlight tape there's a lot of balls in there that he throws up for grabs and his receivers go up and get the ball.

I even told someone we should be recruiting a couple of his WR's especially # 14.

If this kid comes in and is anywhere near as good as we all hope he is and needs to be we will be more than fortunate cause freshman QB's especially ones that aren't EE rarely do much their freshman years.

All I'm saying is that Newberg isn't entirely wrong in his assessment in my opinion..such that it is.

I've watched 2 of his highlight tapes and didn't see what you saw. One of us is an idiot

Advertisement
Newberg dont know ****. This the same dude that was saying jack allison should be a 5 star in high school when he had done nothing.

Which is funny because I imagine that most people here would've immediately agreed and said something like "even the Nole thinks Allison is gonna be good"

You know who's opinion matters the most on Perry?...

This guy named Mark Richt, I think he's the Head Coach of Miami Hurricanes, not sure on that though (will check with my sources).

Whether Newberg is right or wrong as far as Perry's ability in year one, Richt isn't immune from missing on QBs. He targeted Brice Ramsey and he's a better punter than QB at this point. Logan Gray. Faton Batua. Christian LeMay. He's had plenty of misses there recently which is why he was playing UVA washout Greyson Lambert in 2015.

Name the QB's Richt has had that were good and then compare.

As a OC/HC

Danny Kanell
Thad Busby
Chris Weinke
David Greene
D.J. Shockley
Matthew Stafford
Aaron Murray

As the QB coach

Charlie Ward
Brad Johnson
Casey Weldon

You don't throw 56 TDs and 6 interceptions in 2 years if you don't know where the ball is going. Pretty basic observation that speaks for itself

Last edited:
Not taking the side of Newberg and I'm in no way an evaluator or QB's or any other position but if you look at Perrys highlight tape there's a lot of balls in there that he throws up for grabs and his receivers go up and get the ball.

I even told someone we should be recruiting a couple of his WR's especially # 14.

If this kid comes in and is anywhere near as good as we all hope he is and needs to be we will be more than fortunate cause freshman QB's especially ones that aren't EE rarely do much their freshman years.

All I'm saying is that Newberg isn't entirely wrong in his assessment in my opinion..such that it is.

I've watched 2 of his highlight tapes and didn't see what you saw. One of us is an idiot

Don't know which highlights your looking at but I just went and watched the ones I've seen again.in the tape he throws 5 balls up for grabs in or near the end zone,one being caught out of bounds,that his receivers went up and got.Those are the one IN the Highlight film.

I Have to imagine that if those are IN the highlight film there are probably a few more that didn't make the tape.Someone that had looked at more film or seen the kid live would know that.

I'm putting my trust in CMR cause he's the first legitimate coach we've had in 15 years.If he thinks the kid is the goods than I'll believe him.I was just saying that the kid DOES appear to throw the ball up for grabs at times something I imagine most HS QB's do.

Advertisement

This guy named Mark Richt, I think he's the Head Coach of Miami Hurricanes, not sure on that though (will check with my sources).

Whether Newberg is right or wrong as far as Perry's ability in year one, Richt isn't immune from missing on QBs. He targeted Brice Ramsey and he's a better punter than QB at this point. Logan Gray. Faton Batua. Christian LeMay. He's had plenty of misses there recently which is why he was playing UVA washout Greyson Lambert in 2015.

As a OC/HC

Danny Kanell
Thad Busby
Chris Weinke
David Greene
D.J. Shockley
Matthew Stafford
Aaron Murray

As the QB coach

Charlie Ward
Brad Johnson
Casey Weldon

The discussion was about evaluating QBs out of high school. Brad Johnson and Casey Weldon were recruited before Richt was there and both had been at FSU two years before he was the QB coach. David Greene was on the roster at UGA a year before Richt got the job.

Well, I do know one thing...

When it comes time to analyze the Miami Hurricanes & our players the hands down best source is definitely Josh Newberg, especially when it comes to QB's.

I agree with the rest of yall, hopefully Richt is smart enough to listen to Mr. Newberg & redshirt Perry for a couple years...

Because he did say "he's 1, if not 2 years away from actually being ready to start".

While we're at it, has anybody asked Newberg what he thinks about our current 2018 recruits & which ones will be busts?

That guys opinion is paramount to this team's future success.

Until Richt has a chance to ask Newberg, I think we should just pencil Perry in as sitting out the next 2 years. Just to be safe.

Don't know which highlights your looking at but I just went and watched the ones I've seen again.in the tape he throws 5 balls up for grabs in or near the end zone,one being caught out of bounds,that his receivers went up and got.Those are the one IN the Highlight film.

I Have to imagine that if those are IN the highlight film there are probably a few more that didn't make the tape.Someone that had looked at more film or seen the kid live would know that.

I'm putting my trust in CMR cause he's the first legitimate coach we've had in 15 years.If he thinks the kid is the goods than I'll believe him.I was just saying that the kid DOES appear to throw the ball up for grabs at times something I imagine most HS QB's do.

Does he throw the ball up for grabs or does he know his receivers and trust that they'll make the play?

As a OC/HC

Danny Kanell
Thad Busby
Chris Weinke
David Greene
D.J. Shockley
Matthew Stafford
Aaron Murray

As the QB coach

Charlie Ward
Brad Johnson
Casey Weldon

The discussion was about evaluating QBs out of high school. Brad Johnson and Casey Weldon were recruited before Richt was there and both had been at FSU two years before he was the QB coach. David Greene was on the roster at UGA a year before Richt got the job.

Taking those 3 out. Would you trust Richt evaluating on QB?

Advertisement

As a OC/HC

Danny Kanell
Thad Busby
Chris Weinke
David Greene
D.J. Shockley
Matthew Stafford
Aaron Murray

As the QB coach

Charlie Ward
Brad Johnson
Casey Weldon

I trust pre-2008 Mark Richt more than post-2008 Richt right now.

As a OC/HC

Danny Kanell
Thad Busby
Chris Weinke
David Greene
D.J. Shockley
Matthew Stafford
Aaron Murray

As the QB coach

Charlie Ward
Brad Johnson
Casey Weldon

So if that is a no. Who is better evaluating QB's then him that is currently coaching college? I only got 2 maybe 3

OK well at least now I know I wasnt the idiot.

He doesn't throw those balls up for grabs. have you ever even played football? he throws those balls perfectly where his guy has the best chance to catch it and the defender has the worst chance to catch it.

You should go hit the showers my friend.

As a OC/HC

Danny Kanell
Thad Busby
Chris Weinke
David Greene
D.J. Shockley
Matthew Stafford
Aaron Murray

As the QB coach

Charlie Ward
Brad Johnson
Casey Weldon

You sound ridiculous. Richt had recruited Aaron Murray who was really good at uga and also Zach mettenberg who was very talented but got into some trouble at Georgia and was kicked off the team. The guy EVERYONE knew about in Georgia and had offers from everywhere Bryce Ramsey from Camden county turned out to be a dud. And mike bobo didn't recruit watson and instead went after Jacob parks who transferred out because he wasn't good and wanted to play. Richt did gift wrap uga the #1 qb and player in the country before he left though

Last edited:
Advertisement

Take a knee. Pretty much everyone of those throws was well-placed where only his receiver could catch them. You might want to stick to evaluating whatever it is that you do for a living. Just pray that you do it better than evaluating a quarterback and his throws

As a OC/HC

Danny Kanell
Thad Busby
Chris Weinke
David Greene
D.J. Shockley
Matthew Stafford
Aaron Murray

As the QB coach

Charlie Ward
Brad Johnson
Casey Weldon

You sound ridiculous. Richt had recruited Aaron Murray who was really good at uga and also Zach mettenberg who was very talented but got into some trouble at Georgia and was kicked off the team. The guy EVERYONE knew about in Georgia and had offers from everywhere Bryce Ramsey from Camden county turned out to be a dud. And mike bobo didn't recruit winston and instead went after Jacob parks who transferred out because he wasn't good and wanted to play. Richt did gift wrap uga the #1 qb and player in the country before he left though

Pre-2008 Richt's track record is better than post-2008 Richt. Aaron Murray committed to Richt in 2008. He had been recruiting Murray since 2007 or so at a minimum. That was a good evaluation. Really his last one. I'm not sure what you're debating. He went after Brice Ramsey. He sucks. It was a poor evaluation. Others made it as well. He signed him so it belongs to him. I didn't question his ability to sign top QBs. His ability to evaluate them since 2008 is in question. You don't get credit for a kid(Mettenberger) who played better for your rival than he ever did for you.

Last edited:
15 minute highlight of his senior season.

[video=youtube;D2_qKaRC2s0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2_qKaRC2s0&t=22s[/video]

Advertisement

You sound ridiculous. Richt had recruited Aaron Murray who was really good at uga and also Zach mettenberg who was very talented but got into some trouble at Georgia and was kicked off the team. The guy EVERYONE knew about in Georgia and had offers from everywhere Bryce Ramsey from Camden county turned out to be a dud. And mike bobo didn't recruit winston and instead went after Jacob parks who transferred out because he wasn't good and wanted to play. Richt did gift wrap uga the #1 qb and player in the country before he left though

Pre-2008 Richt's track record is better than post-2008 Richt. Aaron Murray committed to Richt in 2008. That was a good evaluation. Really his last one. I'm not sure what you're debating. He went after Brice Ramsey. He sucks. It was a poor evaluation. Others made it as well. He signed him so it belongs to him. I didn't question his ability to sign top QBs. His ability to evaluate them since 2008 is in question. You don't get credit for kid(Mettenberger) who played better for your rival than he ever did for you.
What you mean he was kicked off georgia due to off the field issue. They identified the talent and he was good just didn't have his head straight and made a terrible mistake at Georgia. Again Aaron murrary was an elite qb at Georgia. EVERYONE recruited Bryce Ramsey and thought he was really good(clemson, uga, uf, fsu, bama, Ohio state) all offered him. Then richt gifted uga with Eason who has a talented arm

Last edited:

Pre-2008 Richt's track record is better than post-2008 Richt. Aaron Murray committed to Richt in 2008. That was a good evaluation. Really his last one. I'm not sure what you're debating. He went after Brice Ramsey. He sucks. It was a poor evaluation. Others made it as well. He signed him so it belongs to him. I didn't question his ability to sign top QBs. His ability to evaluate them since 2008 is in question. You don't get credit for kid(Mettenberger) who played better for your rival than he ever did for you.
What you mean he was kicked off georgia due to off the field issue. They identified the talent and he was good just didn't have his head straight and made a terrible mistake at Georgia. Again Aaron murrary was an elite qb at Georgia. I'll say it whisky everyone recruited Bryce Ramsey and thought he was really good(clemson, uga, uf, fsu, bama, Ohio state) all offered him. Then richt gifted uga with Eason who has a talented arm

You don't get credit for Mettenberger as if purely on field talent is the only thing that matters. Character matters too. Particularly at that position. Usually your QB can't be a bad decision maker off the field and be successful. There are exceptions. Jacob Eason was ok last year and Richt doesn't get to coach him so what Eason becomes or doesn't become won't be attributed to Richt.

What you mean he was kicked off georgia due to off the field issue. They identified the talent and he was good just didn't have his head straight and made a terrible mistake at Georgia. Again Aaron murrary was an elite qb at Georgia. I'll say it whisky everyone recruited Bryce Ramsey and thought he was really good(clemson, uga, uf, fsu, bama, Ohio state) all offered him. Then richt gifted uga with Eason who has a talented arm

You don't get credit for Mettenberger as if purely on field talent is the only thing that matters. Character matters too. Particularly at that position. Usually your QB can't be a bad decision maker off the field and be successful. There are exceptions. Jacob Eason was ok last year and Richt doesn't get to coach him so what Eason becomes or doesn't become won't be attributed to Richt.

No one expected mettenberger to do what he did, his mom worked in the football program at uga when he was going to school there .

No one expected mettenberger to do what he did, his mom worked in the football program at uga when he was going to school there .

I didn't bring up Mettenberger as one of his misses. You brought him up and what he did at LSU as some sort of defense of Richt. No one expects a player to be involved in a sexual battery case. Doesn't mean you should use him as an example of an evaluation that Richt got right.

Advertisement
Back