Pete-Josh Newberg (Perry)

He's not wrong with thinking fans are naive and looking at him as A savior.
Except for the fact that that's not actually happening.

You all confuse people's excitement for a new a QB with saying definitively that he's a savior.

Lol look how salty the qp come off hilarious.. why u dont want Nkosi Perry to win at Miami?? I know why but i wanna see what you gon say.

Advertisement

You all confuse people's excitement for a new a QB with saying definitively that he's a savior.

Lol look how salty the qp come off hilarious.. why u dont want Nkosi Perry to win at Miami?? I know why but i wanna see what you gon say.
When have I ever said that?

When have I ever said that?

nah im talking about [MENTION=2624]AllAboutTheU[/MENTION] lol my bad

Because it's hard for a frosh to come in and lead. Especially one who didn't go through spring training. If he comes on and is lights out that will be a plus but I don't see him just snatching the job away.

We're not looking for a savior!! We need a guy who won't give the game away, and can buy himself an extra sec or 2 in the pocket!! We already have saviors!...we refer to them as our front 7!! Our QB just simply needs to be steady, not a hero!! We have an awesome receiver group for heroics!!

Well said. His athleticism and arm-talent is threat enough. It's gonna be the Mark Walton show featuring N'Kosi Perry. Perry (or any starter) will be the PG, distribute, and take timely shots to get theirs. Lots of NFL talent on our roster and QB just needs to get them the ball. This dude doesn't understand what we do.. This is Hurricane Football, not FSU.

Advertisement
Pre-2008 Richt's track record is better than post-2008 Richt. Aaron Murray committed to Richt in 2008. That was a good evaluation. Really his last one. I'm not sure what you're debating. He went after Brice Ramsey. He sucks. It was a poor evaluation. Others made it as well. He signed him so it belongs to him. I didn't question his ability to sign top QBs. His ability to evaluate them since 2008 is in question. You don't get credit for kid(Mettenberger) who played better for your rival than he ever did for you.
What you mean he was kicked off georgia due to off the field issue. They identified the talent and he was good just didn't have his head straight and made a terrible mistake at Georgia. Again Aaron murrary was an elite qb at Georgia. I'll say it whisky everyone recruited Bryce Ramsey and thought he was really good(clemson, uga, uf, fsu, bama, Ohio state) all offered him. Then richt gifted uga with Eason who has a talented arm

You don't get credit for Mettenberger as if purely on field talent is the only thing that matters. Character matters too. Particularly at that position. Usually your QB can't be a bad decision maker off the field and be successful. There are exceptions. Jacob Eason was ok last year and Richt doesn't get to coach him so what Eason becomes or doesn't become won't be attributed to Richt.

No one expected mettenberger to do what he did, his mom worked in the football program at uga when he was going to school there .

I didn't bring up Mettenberger as one of his misses. You brought him up and what he did at LSU as some sort of defense of Richt. No one expects a player to be involved in a sexual battery case. Doesn't mean you should use him as an example of an evaluation that Richt got right.

Your argument is flawed, he doesn't get credit for Brad Johnson, Casey Weldon, and David Greene bc they were already there for a year or two, but bc he didn't get to coach up Mettenberger/Eason like he did the other 3.... he doesn't get credit for them either. David Greene was just the winningest quarterback in NCAA history under Mark Richt til Colt McCoy came along.

A guy who throws that few interceptions doesn't know where the ball is going? Lol

Advertisement
The dude is biased, but he's not making some controversial argument. It's extremely rare and hard for a Freshmans QB to come in, win the starting job, and do well. Most QBs need a few years to develop.

Of course we need to do well to keep recruits, but we don't necessarily need a QB to step up and be extremely productive. We should and could win 10+ even with a below average QB given that our competition is trash.
Sorry, we ain't winning 10+ games with below average QB play, that's not happening.

Regardless of who the QB is, if they suck, we're not winning 10.

1999 comes to mind.

A guy who throws that few interceptions doesn't know where the ball is going? Lol

Exactly. Some of his passes look like he's just throwing up a prayer, but when they land perfectly, time after time, it's not luck. And as you say, if he had a much high INT number the point might be valid. You simply can not get lucky that often over the course of a career. He's good. It remains to be seen if he'll need to redshirt in order to catch up, but even if he does it doesn't mean he's not going to be a good one here.

If he was that good without knowing where the ball was going I can't wait to see how good he is when he figures it out!

Also "he had no idea where the ball was going" reads like someone who is trying to sound significantly smarter than they are.

Advertisement
The dude is biased, but he's not making some controversial argument. It's extremely rare and hard for a Freshmans QB to come in, win the starting job, and do well. Most QBs need a few years to develop.

Of course we need to do well to keep recruits, but we don't necessarily need a QB to step up and be extremely productive. We should and could win 10+ even with a below average QB given that our competition is trash.
Sorry, we ain't winning 10+ games with below average QB play, that's not happening.

Regardless of who the QB is, if they suck, we're not winning 10.

We can win 10+ games with below average QB play and we most likely will win with average-below average QB play this year.

Someone posted a full game of Nkosi's on here the other day, and I can't find it now. Did anyone watch it?

I think we have too high of expectations for true freshman QB I don't care who he is. Look at Georgia who started the best recruit in the nation. He did some good things but he also cost them. Saying Perryis two years away is a good thing .That's when a good prospect should be expected to take the helm. If we have to start a true freshman we have to be realistic.

Advertisement
Pete-
often the ball would leave his hand and he had no idea where it was going. .

yet he has over 60 td's GTFOH

tumblr_inline_nwr5hvS6Be1qdozhv_500.gif

You know who's opinion matters the most on Perry?...

This guy named Mark Richt, I think he's the Head Coach of Miami Hurricanes, not sure on that though (will check with my sources).

Whether Newberg is right or wrong as far as Perry's ability in year one, Richt isn't immune from missing on QBs. He targeted Brice Ramsey and he's a better punter than QB at this point. Logan Gray. Faton Batua. Christian LeMay. He's had plenty of misses there recently which is why he was playing UVA washout Greyson Lambert in 2015.
Well, then what's your solution?

Its not about a solution. We'll see what happens but I'm not just gonna say Richt likes him so a dissenting opinion is invalid. I haven't seen enough of Perry's actual game film to even form an opinion one way or the other.

Smart, thoughtful man, right here, and I am and have had this mindset for a while. Richt has had plenty of misses at QB recently, and anointed a true freshman coming in during the summer, as some QB savant that's going to tear it up on the field, even though it's never been done in CFB, is pretty insane (unless he were running the wishbone).

I'm in wait and see mode, but much prefer a game manager like Sherrifs or Rosier this season, so that Perry (if he is the guy) can grow, work on his footwork, ability to read defenses, and to learn to play at this level

The discussion was about evaluating QBs out of high school. Brad Johnson and Casey Weldon were recruited before Richt was there and both had been at FSU two years before he was the QB coach. David Greene was on the roster at UGA a year before Richt got the job.

Taking those 3 out. Would you trust Richt evaluating on QB?

I trust pre-2008 Mark Richt more than post-2008 Richt right now.

You sound ridiculous. Richt had recruited Aaron Murray who was really good at uga and also Zach mettenberg who was very talented but got into some trouble at Georgia and was kicked off the team. The guy EVERYONE knew about in Georgia and had offers from everywhere Bryce Ramsey from Camden county turned out to be a dud. And mike bobo didn't recruit winston and instead went after Jacob parks who transferred out because he wasn't good and wanted to play. Richt did gift wrap uga the #1 qb and player in the country before he left though

Pre-2008 Richt's track record is better than post-2008 Richt. Aaron Murray committed to Richt in 2008. He had been recruiting Murray since 2007 or so at a minimum. That was a good evaluation. Really his last one. I'm not sure what you're debating. He went after Brice Ramsey. He sucks. It was a poor evaluation. Others made it as well. He signed him so it belongs to him. I didn't question his ability to sign top QBs. His ability to evaluate them since 2008 is in question. You don't get credit for a kid(Mettenberger) who played better for your rival than he ever did for you.

What happened right around 2008 that may have caused this shift? Hmmm...I wonder.

Advertisement
Back