Patrick Surtain is a moron

Most guys feel like the local kid should be the offer is he's anywhere near the skill of the out-of-state player. Personally, I think McKenzie is better than Berrios, but Berrios ain't no slouch. You can point to Berrios shuttle time and vertical all you want to but when you turn on that film you'll see McKenzie making LEGIT COMPETITION look downright foolish.

So I get where Surtain is coming from. I've felt that way about my players before. No coach likes to see their kids get ignored by the local school, especially when they're offering kids who aren't better.

However, there's probably other issues with McKenzie. Grades, character, whatever it may be. It's verrrrry hard to argue with the Berrios offer though.

Advertisement
Don't see why he's a moron for his opinion. Berrios and McKenzie are very similar players, all else equal why not take the local kid?

I think they're pretty different.

Obviously they're both short, but Berrios is more of a pure receiver and McKenzie is a big play guy/returner. Berrios is extremely QB-friendly, comes back to the ball, adjusts well, catches everything. McKenzie will drop passes but is liable to crank a 75-yard TD at any moment. He is more dangerous with the ball in his hands than Berrios.

Don't see why he's a moron for his opinion. Berrios and McKenzie are very similar players, all else equal why not take the local kid?

I think they're pretty different.

Obviously they're both short, but Berrios is more of a pure receiver and McKenzie is a big play guy/returner. Berrios is extremely QB-friendly, comes back to the ball, adjusts well, catches everything. McKenzie will drop passes but is liable to crank a 75-yard TD at any moment. He is more dangerous with the ball in his hands than Berrios.
The 40 inch vert for Berrios is unreal for a slot guy. Santana had a high vertical so he was able to play bigger than his listed height.

Some of you want the South Florida kids to show favorites and pick the hometown team but you don't think the coaching staff have to be that way towards COMPARABLE recruits. I think BB is a great player but he's no IM. Time will tell but history says this will be just another situation where we'll be kicking ourselves later.

You know what gets me?

We got the guy with video game numbers! We got the guy who broke the record for the shuttle drill that stood for 10 years I believe! We got the guy who has the right mentality and attitude that is in every Cane! Yet I read that this McKenzie kid is just as good? HOW???? Please tell me! Berrios, because of his attitude, mentality and leadership is one of our list important recruits, yet we are flipping out over this other slot receiver? Is it because this kid is from South Florida? Please get out of here. Berrios is the real deal! Support him an stop thinking about who we didn't get/offer!

Berries is the quickest football player in the country.
High school, college or professional, nobody has a better time than his 3.81 in the past decade.

He's also not just a 1 trick pony ala Kermit Whitfield.
Berries is already built like a pro at 17-18 years old, and is only going to get quicker, faster, bigger and stronger.
Plus, this kid is a football player. Multiple 1000+ yard rusher. Uncover able in the slot and also **** good on defense in high school.

He also dominated at The Opening as one of the top 5 athletes there amongst the best athletes playing high school football in the country.

Pound for pound he is one of the top athletes in the country for football AND he is a football player, not just an athlete running around in pads and a helmet.

Advertisement
You know what gets me?

We got the guy with video game numbers! We got the guy who broke the record for the shuttle drill that stood for 10 years I believe! We got the guy who has the right mentality and attitude that is in every Cane! Yet I read that this McKenzie kid is just as good? HOW???? Please tell me! Berrios, because of his attitude, mentality and leadership is one of our list important recruits, yet we are flipping out over this other slot receiver? Is it because this kid is from South Florida? Please get out of here. Berrios is the real deal! Support him an stop thinking about who we didn't get/offer!

Berries is the quickest football player in the country.
High school, college or professional, nobody has a better time than his 3.81 in the past decade.

He's also not just a 1 trick pony ala Kermit Whitfield.
Berries is already built like a pro at 17-18 years old, and is only going to get quicker, faster, bigger and stronger.
Plus, this kid is a football player. Multiple 1000+ yard rusher. Uncover able in the slot and also **** good on defense in high school.

He also dominated at The Opening as one of the top 5 athletes there amongst the best athletes playing high school football in the country.

Pound for pound he is one of the top athletes in the country for football AND he is a football player, not just an athlete running around in pads and a helmet.

Ma man!

I agree with Dmoney and others that they are very different players

IM has a lot of Roscoe Parrish in him imo.

I think its a miss by the big 3. I saw Heritage 3 times and he always impressed me more than Sony

Some of you guys are idiots. Hes never trained Berrios, hes not trying to rip him, he doesnt even know him. Hes sticking up for McKenzie. Show some respect

Advertisement
Some of you guys are idiots. Hes never trained Berrios, hes not trying to rip him he doesnt even know him. Hes sticking up for McKenzie. Show some respect

By mentioning him, he **** sure is.

And because of that, **** him.

Some of you guys are idiots. Hes never trained Berrios, hes not trying to rip him, he doesnt even know him. Hes sticking up for McKenzie. Show some respect

Fine, then why is he not ripping the other schools?! He wants to defend his player, that's fine I get that, but then why only attack our school? If he is going to attack then attack all big 3, in the end any Florida high school coach should be ****ed that none of the big Florida football programs didn't offer him. There in lies the problem

Then he's being ignorant as ****, which isn't much better.

Advertisement

****'em

Some of you guys are idiots. Hes never trained Berrios, hes not trying to rip him he doesnt even know him. Hes sticking up for McKenzie. Show some respect

By mentioning him, he **** sure is.

And because of that, **** him.

Fine, then why is he not ripping the other schools?! He wants to defend his player, that's fine I get that, but then why only attack our school? If he is going to attack then attack all big 3, in the end any Florida high school coach should be ****ed that none of the big Florida football programs didn't offer him. There in lies the problem

Then he's being ignorant as ****, which isn't much better.

****'em

He mind as well said, "and instead they took a white boy?"

I'm going to run out of +reps.

Advertisement
Back