Patrick Surtain is a moron

Not sure. I know UF checked in on him again recently hoping to offer and they came away saying he wasn't going to qualify. Kid is dynamic though.

Advertisement
How the **** does a kid from THAT school not qualify? Ridiculous

I'm not saying that this is applicable to IM, but AH has a part of their school named "The Academy." The Academy is for students who have academic deficiencies. I've been told that a lot of AH's athletes are in The Academy.

Don't see why he's a moron for his opinion. Berrios and McKenzie are very similar players, all else equal why not take the local kid? I think that is his argument. You have a beast slot receiver/returner wanting to stay home and he got no interest yet they went out of state and signed the exact same type of player. I don't think that discredits Barrios who is a beast in his own right, more questioning why his player isn't getting the attention he thinks he deserves.

I know Joker Phillips has said McKenzie is a top 5 receiver at his position nationally in his opinion and if he had a few inches and a few pounds would be nationally regarded. Brian Kelly thinks he's one of the best playmakers in the country, everybody who has watched McKenzie has come away saying the same thing. But word is he won't qualify anywhere this year which may be a reason none of the florida schools offered.
you just answered your own question. one has grade concerns, one is a 4.0+ student. one might have to go to prep, one is an EE in a class we need to back load due to a small 13' class. One is apparently one of the guys our incoming QB wanted, one is on a team with a serious target, at a position of need, that we can't even get an in home with. seems pretty clear, if they are comparable in other places, who you leave out and who you offer.

not equal, shouldn't be a question. that said, kid looks like a playmaker, and if there was room i would like him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Let's say Miami did offer IM and he committed...people would be crying about Lamar Parker.

True but they would have a good reason to also, all three are solid players and I would of offered parker or IM especially with them being in the area, why let speedy slots go away when they could contribute and add speed to a team who clearly lacks in that area. The philosophy should be if a player can ball and has the right attitude offer him cause he'll rep that much more for the U.

You know what gets me?

We got the guy with video game numbers! We got the guy who broke the record for the shuttle drill that stood for 10 years I believe! We got the guy who has the right mentality and attitude that is in every Cane! Yet I read that this McKenzie kid is just as good? HOW???? Please tell me! Berrios, because of his attitude, mentality and leadership is one of our list important recruits, yet we are flipping out over this other slot receiver? Is it because this kid is from South Florida? Please get out of here. Berrios is the real deal! Support him an stop thinking about who we didn't get/offer!

How? Watch for yourself:

Sr highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/167780/highlights/117051380?autoplay=1

Jr Highlights:

http://youtu.be/aN_rp7NEhyE

Kid is super talented, and he is in south florida. I know some say it doesnt matter but to people down here it does. Some guys are really peculiar about that, I remember one of the best scouts down here was religious about miami taking the florida kids over everybody (RIP LAUS)

:eekeyes: @ The play @ 26 second mark of the Jr highlights!

Advertisement
None of the Florida schools offered.
Is the expectation that Miami is supposed to sign every single player that graduates from Dade, Broward and Palm Beach County?

150.gif

So If none offered why isnt he on FSU and UF as well??? **** I swear this doesnt happen anywhere else

It doesn't seem like it happens anywhere else.....it it does, it's just not publicized like it is in Miami. But the feeling that i get is that these High Schools, players, coaches, mentors, and communities feel like Miami is "obligated" to offer these kids because it's the local home school. FSU and UF aren't held to that standard b/c they aren't local, so when they come in and cherry pick only the best players, it's ok. It's also ok when they only spend 1/10th of the time at these schools evaluating kids. When they spend more, they are BELOVED for putting so much time and effort into it. It's straight BS. I don't know why the culture seems so F'd up down there in South Florida but it is.

Isaiah Mckenzie is awesome. He is as good as Berrios. They are both great. He will do VERY well at ND and EVERYONE on this board will **** that another South Florida kid "got away".

There's no way you let McKenzie go. He's a human highlight reel. I wouldn't make it an "either or" with him and Berrios.

None of the Florida schools offered.
Is the expectation that Miami is supposed to sign every single player that graduates from Dade, Broward and Palm Beach County?

150.gif

If so, then every kid in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach County should sign with UM.

He's going to ND. That tells me that even if we did offer him he wasn't coming here.

South Florida kids that choose ND over any in-state schools tend to be the ones that just want to get away.

Really, didn't Danyell Ferguson originally commit to ND?

Advertisement
Berrios better routs and hands, Mckenzie more explosive on special teams.

Berrios is an EE and Mckenzie hasn't qualified…

Don't see why he's a moron for his opinion. Berrios and McKenzie are very similar players, all else equal why not take the local kid? I think that is his argument. You have a beast slot receiver/returner wanting to stay home and he got no interest yet they went out of state and signed the exact same type of player. I don't think that discredits Barrios who is a beast in his own right, more questioning why his player isn't getting the attention he thinks he deserves.

I know Joker Phillips has said McKenzie is a top 5 receiver at his position nationally in his opinion and if he had a few inches and a few pounds would be nationally regarded. Brian Kelly thinks he's one of the best playmakers in the country, everybody who has watched McKenzie has come away saying the same thing. But word is he won't qualify anywhere this year which may be a reason none of the florida schools offered.
you just answered your own question. one has grade concerns, one is a 4.0+ student. one might have to go to prep, one is an EE in a class we need to back load due to a small 13' class. One is apparently one of the guys our incoming QB wanted, one is on a team with a serious target, at a position of need, that we can't even get an in home with. seems pretty clear, if they are comparable in other places, who you leave out and who you offer.

not equal, shouldn't be a question. that said, kid looks like a playmaker, and if there was room i would like him.

I hear what you're saying and agree, Berrios is the obvious take for what's in bold. But it sounds like from what he's saying McKenzie wasn't a take even without the grade concerns because of his size. But the two are similar size wise.

Advertisement
How about Surtain make sure his player is just has electric in the classroom as he is on the field! Another South Florida coach crying about an offer for a player who might not even qualify. We already have to many players we're still hoping will qualify! Dont need anymore sign and place guys, we need guys to suit up in August 2014 not August 2016!

FWIW, word out of Orlando on Barrios has been that he has been the most impressive receiver in camp.

I can't disagree with Surtain here. I've been in his shoes before. It hurts to see one of your guys get overlooked when you truly believe he has what it takes to succeed. With that being said, I love BB. Ray Lewis/E Reed type leadership IMO.

Advertisement
Back