Patrick Payton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I’d move Collins tbh.
Nah. I think Troutman, who I really like, may need to be left behind. I know size doesn’t always matter, but at LB and OL, and DL... I think it sorta does. And Honestly, I just don’t know if size wise he can compete at the next level like that. I don’t see His frame, no matter what he does, being able to take on more than 215 at 5’10. Cause right now he’s about 5’9 to 5’10 range and maybe 175-185 range.

it seems like Miami is recruiting good size this class that actually compete with the other bigger boys. Davis, to me, seems like a MLB. He has the same frame as Quarterman and he’s much faster running a 4.64. That can drop in the 4.5s.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Payton told Ivins he spoke to the staff during the bye week.

9cd66004a374d3e4a56ca6d90210fae5a9d0b843.gif

Nah. I think Troutman, who I really like, may need to be left behind. I know size doesn’t always matter, but at LB and OL, and DL... I think it sorta does. And Honestly, I just don’t know if size wise he can compete at the next level like that. I don’t see His frame, no matter what he does, being able to take on more than 215 at 5’10. Cause right now he’s about 5’9 to 5’10 range and maybe 175-185 range.

it seems like Miami is recruiting good size this class that actually compete with the other bigger boys. Davis, to me, seems like a MLB. He has the same frame as Quarterman and he’s much faster running a 4.64. That can drop in the 4.5s.

Guys like Troutman will always have a position in Manny's defense. When you realize he plays alot like Keontra Smith did in high school as well. Keontra literally was a MLB at Chaminade. Hence you see how he performs at Striker and his physicality. We desperately need more speed on the back end of defense..size aint the main issue at LB..we have alot of stiffs there. Troutman is the opposite and the typical historical "Miami Lber".

If we are in a numbers crunch im definately sending Savion Collins on his merry way...especially considering he and Haye are similar prospects here in our scheme. The only thing that keeps them is that **** athleticism Collins has at that size. But if a Jon Ford returns and takes the free year i dont see the big need at DT with Leonard Taylor and Haye locked in.

Guys like Troutman will always have a position in Manny's defense. When you realize he plays alot like Keontra Smith did in high school as well. Keontra literally was a MLB at Chaminade. Hence you see how he performs at Striker and his physicality. We desperately need more speed on the back end of defense..size aint the main issue at LB..we have alot of stiffs there. Troutman is the opposite and the typical historical "Miami Lber".

If we are in a numbers crunch im definately sending Savion Collins on his merry way...especially considering he and Haye are similar prospects here in our scheme. The only thing that keeps them is that **** athleticism Collins has at that size. But if a Jon Ford returns and takes the free year i dont see the big need at DT with Leonard Taylor and Haye locked in.
1. I feel you, but Smith is definitely a bad example for Troutman. Keontra was a specimen in college that played in coverage and in the box. Not only that, he had the size and speed you covet. Putting him at safety, striker, or LB is a win-win. Troutman, is opposite of that. Not sure how he does in coverage, and doesn’t have the traits of Smith. Now I’m not saying he isn’t good at all, because I like him, but I’m realistic as well. You can’t see a lot of what you see on HS tapes and expect it to transition to the next level.

2. So You’d take an average under size LB over a decent prototypical DT? Strange. I know a lot of people are not a fan of Collins but I can tell you now... he’s going to be a tremendous piece to any D-Line he goes to. He’s barely given much effort right now and look how looks. In camps, he was just as quick if not quicker than Leonard. He just needs that coaching to make him understand his potential and he’s gonna take off.

Advertisement
We need to give this kid the green light. Not sure if he comes, because he keeps at his current pace and this kid has Top 100 written all over him, which means the UGA-Bama-Clemson $$$ will start rolling in. Being roughly 1 month from ESD might play to our advantage this time with the delayed season start etc.

Next person that says drop Troutman will have their address sent to Troutman so he can handle it. Love that kid.

Advertisement
1. I feel you, but Smith is definitely a bad example for Troutman. Keontra was a specimen in college that played in coverage and in the box. Not only that, he had the size and speed you covet. Putting him at safety, striker, or LB is a win-win. Troutman, is opposite of that. Not sure how he does in coverage, and doesn’t have the traits of Smith. Now I’m not saying he isn’t good at all, because I like him, but I’m realistic as well. You can’t see a lot of what you see on HS tapes and expect it to transition to the next level.

2. So You’d take an average under size LB over a decent prototypical DT? Strange. I know a lot of people are not a fan of Collins but I can tell you now... he’s going to be a tremendous piece to any D-Line he goes to. He’s barely given much effort right now and look how looks. In camps, he was just as quick if not quicker than Leonard. He just needs that coaching to make him understand his potential and he’s gonna take off.
1.) Though i watched more Smith than Troutman in high school. They have some similarities in game. Though Keontra would always play coverage in 7 on 7's , etc at safety and backer.

2.) For need...yes i would. Our lb group lacks talent, they lack speed and lateral ability. At dt we have been stock piling talent. We have freshman right now playing dt that are trending upward ability and flashing high. Add in the 2 current commits..id rather drop Collins to fit in a Payton who is definately more of a difference maker more so than Collins.

I mean if your confortable having Zach Mccloud out there starting in a 6th season have at it. Keep in mind if he stays committed no issue my opinion is involving a numbers crunch situation and working a way to get Payton in this class. Payton is trending upward and showing ability to what we want in our current DE'S and is from our #1 feeder program.

Advertisement
I believe we have 2-3 more spots left anyway. They were originally supposed to go to a QB, a 2nd RB and a corner.

Garcia isn't coming & I don't think they have any prospects left at QB. Amari is headed to College Station & the staff isn't interested in Geter. Markevious Brown is our #1 target at corner & if not him then Marvin Covington. Assuming we almost certainly take Covington, we have 2 spots left, use one of those for Payton.

As is, if we want to drop someone for him, just drop Collins. He isn't 1% of the 3-tech DT Leonard will be, and he isn't a 1-tech pocket pusher who can also rush the passer like Allan Haye.

I believe we have 2-3 more spots left anyway. They were originally supposed to go to a QB, a 2nd RB and a corner.

Garcia isn't coming & I don't think they have any prospects left at QB. Amari is headed to College Station & the staff isn't interested in Geter. Markevious Brown is our #1 target at corner & if not him then Marvin Covington. Assuming we almost certainly take Covington, we have 2 spots left, use one of those for Payton.

As is, if we want to drop someone for him, just drop Collins. He isn't 1% of the 3-tech DT Leonard will be, and he isn't a 1-tech pocket pusher who can also rush the passer like Allan Haye.
It can be really brief, like I am a four year old. Difference between a 1 and a 3 technique? Or you can just make fun of me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back