Parking email

About to hit 41, but I respectfully ask not to be lumped in with those feckless alumni. Whether it's the carpet-bagging mercenaries who got their degrees and then put all UM in their rearview mirror for life, the local alumni who treat it like a commuter school, or the pear-shaped, jealous weirdo alumni who hate all student-athletic endeavors, they can all get ****ed. And I do know many loyal alumni in their 30s who keep the faith. Far fewer in their 20s, unfortunately.

As far as the students, it felt like they quit sometime in the Shannon era. They really haven't been showing up for about 15 years, even to football games. People will blame the stadium going further off-campus, but I'll never forget that last season at the OB (in what should have been a glorious send-off) the students only somewhat managed to show up for that horrible UVA game (and that was a night game). The noon games? Pretty empty. If it was flat, you could have landed a helicopter in the student section for all those home games. It's gotten worse over time with the move to Hard Rock, sure, but the apathy had already crept in before 2008.
shannon first year was the killer. if you lived on campus, you heard with the students not wanting to watch a **** team at noon (we were in the OB still). distance was never the issue esp since the oB was still away from campus and we have on campus venues that we cant even fill up either.

Advertisement
unless this is an inside joke that I'm missing, tell me more about this. i see there are black parking sections all over the place on the map but for some reason it's not in the pricing. what's the deal with the black sections?
Club seat, but we are very big donors.

Help me settle an argument:

How many of you would still buy season tix and attend every game if they banned tailgating?

Advertisement

How many of you would still buy season tix and attend every game if they banned tailgating?

Season ticket holder for many years. Work and/or life will sometimes cause me to miss one or two games in a season. But if they band tailgating it wouldn't impact my game attendance (would probably impact my parking choice, though).

Season ticket holder for many years. Work and/or life will sometimes cause me to miss one or two games in a season. But if they band tailgating it wouldn't impact my game attendance (would probably impact my parking choice, though).

I concur. While I’m trying to get the little ones more involved and interested, our tailgating isn’t yet of a nature that it matters.

I’d rather it not be eliminated but I’d still drive down for the games if it was..

I've had a show cause penalty against tailgating levied against me since 2017 - when I ****ed on a car brandishing a Notre Dame sticker, while yelling "murder! murder! murder!" and being responded to with a resounding "kill! kill! kill!".

Advertisement
Truth.

The Ticket Office is only to blame for poor communication, a ****** website, and an indifferent attitude.
why would anyone want to take off the athletic fee? its not even expensive and i was there from 06-10 so tuition was even higher than when he went if he started in 04. also, kinda weird to not wanna sit w your friends at games esp when youre in COLLEGE. our best student benefit tbh was the athletic fee.
I wanted it off because as someone that WORKED his way through school I didn’t see the need to pay for something I was paying for ANYWAY. That’s why. I worked two jobs throughout undergrad and grad school, so when I decided to invest in season tickets(mostly because I got sick and tired of having to fight idiots for seats in the student section) , I refused to pay for things that I didn’t see value in.

Fair enough, I trust you, and there are definitely going to be a few alums under the age of 40 who might have a bit more respect for the program. I just find it to be the height of either hypocrisy or insanity to fight NOT to pay the Athletic Fee while complaining about UM Sports.

Good lord, when I was in the UM MBA program and Law School, I made SURE to have the Athletic Fee ADDED to my bill, even though I was flat broke with HS-educated parents who didn't buy me football/basketball/baseball season tickets.

It's simple. We wonder how we got here. Well, the first step on the road to **** was certainly "I don't want to be required to pay my Athletic Fee because I don't go to all the games."
You made a lot of assumptions about people, you may want to ask before going that route. There are kids that don’t care about sports, have no plans on ever attending a game and don’t want to pay for it, especially considering that they are the ones taking out loans to pay for it. Every kid is different and honestly, if that’s what they want to do then so be it. Every kid isn’t going to view it like I did, and be willing to spend more on tickets.

Frankly, the fact that we charge students that fee, knowing full well what we charge in tuition is a joke anyway. Just eat the cost, or find a donor to offset it. The student athletic fee is close to 200 bucks per semester now, that's 6 million dollars per year if 15000 students paid it. Think about how little 6 million dollars is in the scheme of things. Mario makes more than that by himself. From what I've seen and heard on times I've come back, these students, despite most of them being wealthy feel as if the school nickel and dimes them. That wasn't a vibe back when I was on campus. Then again, financial aid was a lot more generous back then, so maybe people didn't notice as often.

Last edited:
I wanted it off because as someone that WORKED his way through school I didn’t see the need to pay for something I was paying for ANYWAY. That’s why. I worked two jobs throughout undergrad and grad school, so when I decided to invest in season tickets(mostly because I got sick and tired of having to fight idiots for seats in the student section) , I refused to pay for things that I didn’t see value in.

I worked during school too. So, again, try not to presume too much. During the semesters, I worked for The Princeton Review and for UM Athletics as a tutor. During the summers and winters that I wasn't in Miami, I worked at Disney World and EPCOT.

I paid my Athletic Fee because there was value in it, not just for football, but for all sports, including the non-revenue sports.

"Fighting idiots for seats in the student section"? That's your take on your fellow UM students? And you didn't have one friend who could help you hold a seat?

Actually, this explains a lot.

Suites/VIPs. I think it's Field Club or better, but don't quote me on that.
It's suites. Black parking comes with their package. There's actually an entry from the pike. It's crazy. Black parking isn't available except to that level, or above.

Advertisement
You made a lot of assumptions about people, most of which is founded in ignorance. There are kids that don’t care about sports, have no plans on ever attending a game and don’t want to pay for it, especially considering that they are the ones taking out loans to pay for it. Every kid is different and honestly, if that’s what they want to do then so be it. Every kid isn’t going to view it like I did, and be willing to spend more on tickets.

No, I didn't make a lot of assumptions about people. I don't give a **** about "kids that don't care about sports", because that's the ***** approach to paying required fees. "Oh, I don't care about sports, I don't want to pay my $138". PUSSIES.

Again, you can say the same thing about the Wellness Center. And unlike you, I actually stand up for what is right, and I follow majority rule, not "I don't care about that, take it off my bill".

I'm proud of my vote as a Student Government Senator (and later as a regular student in the referendum) to support the increased student fee for the Wellness Center. Without our votes, later entitled brats such as yourself would not have HAD the Wellness Center. THAT'S WHAT YOU REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE. I was there when UM refused to pay for better facilities for students, or lights in the parking lots, or pedestrian bridges across US 1. The things that younger students and alums NOW TAKE FOR GRANTED were things that we had to fight for, every step of the way.

Yeah, now UM wants to brag about all the great amenities they are building, but people like me had to CHOOSE TO PAY to have decent things. And now you want to sit around whining about "not seeing value" and "kids who don't care about sports" and "everyone is different".

**** all that. Required fees are required. Pay it and shut the **** up, and stop whining about "having to fight idiots for seats in the student section". Here's an idea, show up early, make a friend or two, and BINGO, no problem-o.

Good lord, so many people under a certain age are just entitled whiny pussies. Regardless of whether you "got a job on the side". That's not the issue.

YOU'RE ACTING LIKE A *****. Either own it or shut up. But stop RATIONALIZING acting like such a *****.

Advertisement
Consume this with a bump of....errrr grain of salt, but my "connection" at the Hurricane Club is saying that if you select parking this week that you shouldn't have an issue getting the level of pass that you desire- Black excluded as I didn't broach those details.

I rarely tailgate anymore and have continued to buy and attend for years.
Once upon a time, the tailgate was the big event, and the game was just extra. As I've gotten older, I've come to the conclusion that hanging out with the crew, catching up with everyone is more fun than dealing with the annoyance of the tailgate. Maybe because I was always the planner and guy on the grill, but it's nice to not have to deal with that stuff anymore, when I come down for games.

Advertisement
Back