Parking email

Advertisement
Tomorrow at 1.
I’ll ***** it up somehow.

Btw, did anyone have an issue with the seat change process?

Advertisement
While I get what you are saying OC, I think you are missing some key points.

The Student Body has been bandwagon as F for decades at this point, and that's nothing new. The REASON why administration finally let kids opt out of the Athletic Fee is because a lot of kids don't care about athletics, and are tired of paying for tickets they never use. The next time you visit campus, look at the kids walking around. The demographics have changed from when I first hit campus in 2004, and it's like night and day from when some of our older posters first showed up to the Gables. Back in the day, I had to fight every year to get the Student Athletic Fee taken off, because I had season tickets for football, basketball and baseball and had no interest in being charged twice. At least they made it easier for students now, so I don't have an issue with that.

As I've stated before, I think Rad chose the toughest option, for something that had to be done eventually(I would have phased it in, permanently grandfathering those who have had season tickets for at least 10 consecutive years and Alumni). Whether we like it or not, Miami football can't continue to sell tickets and parking for far less money than peer institutions do, and then expect the school and the small donor base to pick up the slack in regards to lost revenue. That's insane and a losing proposition. Our fans have gotten really, really entitled and when you look at what other schools require of their season ticket holders in order to have access, you can't help but laugh. Miami has been mediocre for years, so have a ton of other programs, but their fans keep showing up, they spend money. Rad sees this, he knows that we can't be a world class athletic department and still operate the ticket department like we're the same school that used to give tickets away if you bought a Whopper.

I get it, people have gotten used to having a tailgating culture(Something we didn't really have at the OB), but parking isn't nearly as plentiful as it was 10 years ago, because Ross needs additional revenue and has sacrificed parking in order to create it. That said, I've traveled to facilities all across the country and the Miami parking situation is far better than **** near every other school out there. You'd be amazed how much people have to spend to have a relatively decent parking spot at a place like LSU, or even Nebraska. Yes, those are huge state schools with enormous alumni bases, but the fact remains. Barring a miracle happening and we get our own stadium either easily accessible from, or adjacent to campus, this parking situation is going to be what it is.

I'm not missing any key points.

I'm going to try very hard NOT to judge you on a personal level, so try not to take this personally. But BEHAVIOR like yours is a part of the problem. A big part of the problem. I realize you're probably not going to acknowledge it, but go back and re-read what you wrote.

Look, the Athletic Fee TODAY is $138 per semester. I have no idea if the dollar amount was ever increased, but I'm fairly certain that it was around $100 a semester when I was in school. IN THE EIGHTIES AND NINETIES. So, please, for the love of God, let's not act like that is some huge amount of money, particularly when tuitition went from $8,800 in my freshman year to $58,100 today. And, sure, maybe the tuition was lower when YOU were in school, but I know that the cost of tuition had already broken the $20K mark when I graduated law school in 1996.

Now, don't get me wrong, I understand YOUR situation if you "had season tickets for football, basketball, and baseball", though you should be honest and acknowledge that your parents bought those. Because I **** sure know that if YOU had to pay for them, you would have chosen to pay the $138 instead, since it has FOR DECADES represented the absolute best value of anything on the UM campus. Except for when D'Pizza ran the $3.99 coupon for manicotti and garlic knots in The Miami Hurricane. Or Saturday nights at LB's Eatery (now Titanic) when they had the all-you-can-eat spaghetti.

The reason I am criticizing YOUR behavior is because you ignore the fact that the Athletic Fee goes towards all sports, not just football, basketball, and baseball that your parents bought for you. When I was down for Homecoming and the F$U game, my brother and I went to the women's volleyball match where we upset GaTech. And it was free to everyone. So your measly $138, which you "fought" to have taken off, would have gone to help fund women's volleyball in addition to football (in the fall semester). But, yeah, thanks for saving your $138 when you (or your parents) were paying tens of thousands of dollars every semester for your tuition and dorm and food. You're probably one of the CIS braggarts who likes to talk about how you browbeat DirecTV into giving you lots of free credits because you fake-threatened to go back to cable.

Oh, let me cry some tears for the *****-*** soft-shouldered UM dweebs who "are tired of paying for tickets they never use". **** THEM. They are paying for ALL ATHLETICS. Not just "tickets they never use". Don't tell me that they can't walk over to the Light and catch a few baseball games and feel better about that massive $138 they just paid. Particularly when all of the various fees for the year are nearly $2K.

WAAAAAHHHHH WAAAAAAAHHHHH, I don't want to pay the Activity Fee, I'm inactive. WAAAAAAHHHH, I don't want to pay the Wellness Center Fee, I'm happy being fat and disgusting. WAAAAAAAAAHHHHH, I don't want to pay the Student Center Complex fee because I'm simple and never use the place. WAAAAAAAAHHHH, I don't want to pay the Student Health & Counseling Fee, I'm already on mommy and daddy's health insurance and the extra $210 a semester is going to break me when the cost of attendance is now $89,000.

I realize that UM students have turned gutless over the last 20 years, but this is pretty pathetic. The cost to attend UM is going to be $100K soon, and we have crybaby students whining about $138 athletic fees and $166 wellness center fees. When that is the average price of ONE textbook.

I understand why fans in their 40s and 50s and 60s and 70s have some concerns with poorly-announced price increases, since we have been carrying the load for decades. But quite frankly, nearly every non-athlete, non-Iron Arrow UM alum under the age of 42 needs to do some serious reflection of your priorities in life. I know you might WANT a winning football, basketball, or baseball team, but ask yourself what you've ever done to SUPPORT those endeavors, when you are fighting to REMOVE the $138 Athletic Fee from your $89K cost of attendance.

Pathetic. Oooooh, my mommy and daddy got double-charged by $138 when they already have season tickets. GTFOOH.

And we alums wonder why we are having to pay these price increases, while the spoiled and entitled students-of-today focus their mock outrage on the horrors of a required athletic fee. And we wonder why our athletic programs have sucked for two decades with such greeeeeat student support...

Advertisement
I was just noticed that my Black parking passes are in my account. No worries..
unless this is an inside joke that I'm missing, tell me more about this. i see there are black parking sections all over the place on the map but for some reason it's not in the pricing. what's the deal with the black sections?

unless this is an inside joke that I'm missing, tell me more about this. i see there are black parking sections all over the place on the map but for some reason it's not in the pricing. what's the deal with the black sections?

racist comedy central GIF

I'm going to try very hard NOT to judge you on a personal level, so try not to take this personally. But BEHAVIOR like yours is a part of the problem. A big part of the problem. I realize you're probably not going to acknowledge it, but go back and re-read what you wrote.

Look, the Athletic Fee TODAY is $138 per semester. I have no idea if the dollar amount was ever increased, but I'm fairly certain that it was around $100 a semester when I was in school. IN THE EIGHTIES AND NINETIES. So, please, for the love of God, let's not act like that is some huge amount of money, particularly when tuitition went from $8,800 in my freshman year to $58,100 today. And, sure, maybe the tuition was lower when YOU were in school, but I know that the cost of tuition had already broken the $20K mark when I graduated law school in 1996.

Now, don't get me wrong, I understand YOUR situation if you "had season tickets for football, basketball, and baseball", though you should be honest and acknowledge that your parents bought those. Because I **** sure know that if YOU had to pay for them, you would have chosen to pay the $138 instead, since it has FOR DECADES represented the absolute best value of anything on the UM campus. Except for when D'Pizza ran the $3.99 coupon for manicotti and garlic knots in The Miami Hurricane. Or Saturday nights at LB's Eatery (now Titanic) when they had the all-you-can-eat spaghetti.

The reason I am criticizing YOUR behavior is because you ignore the fact that the Athletic Fee goes towards all sports, not just football, basketball, and baseball that your parents bought for you. When I was down for Homecoming and the F$U game, my brother and I went to the women's volleyball match where we upset GaTech. And it was free to everyone. So your measly $138, which you "fought" to have taken off, would have gone to help fund women's volleyball in addition to football (in the fall semester). But, yeah, thanks for saving your $138 when you (or your parents) were paying tens of thousands of dollars every semester for your tuition and dorm and food. You're probably one of the CIS braggarts who likes to talk about how you browbeat DirecTV into giving you lots of free credits because you fake-threatened to go back to cable.

Oh, let me cry some tears for the *****-*** soft-shouldered UM dweebs who "are tired of paying for tickets they never use". **** THEM. They are paying for ALL ATHLETICS. Not just "tickets they never use". Don't tell me that they can't walk over to the Light and catch a few baseball games and feel better about that massive $138 they just paid. Particularly when all of the various fees for the year are nearly $2K.

WAAAAAHHHHH WAAAAAAAHHHHH, I don't want to pay the Activity Fee, I'm inactive. WAAAAAAHHHH, I don't want to pay the Wellness Center Fee, I'm happy being fat and disgusting. WAAAAAAAAAHHHHH, I don't want to pay the Student Center Complex fee because I'm simple and never use the place. WAAAAAAAAHHHH, I don't want to pay the Student Health & Counseling Fee, I'm already on mommy and daddy's health insurance and the extra $210 a semester is going to break me when the cost of attendance is now $89,000.

I realize that UM students have turned gutless over the last 20 years, but this is pretty pathetic. The cost to attend UM is going to be $100K soon, and we have crybaby students whining about $138 athletic fees and $166 wellness center fees. When that is the average price of ONE textbook.

I understand why fans in their 40s and 50s and 60s and 70s have some concerns with poorly-announced price increases, since we have been carrying the load for decades. But quite frankly, nearly every non-athlete, non-Iron Arrow UM alum under the age of 42 needs to do some serious reflection of your priorities in life. I know you might WANT a winning football, basketball, or baseball team, but ask yourself what you've ever done to SUPPORT those endeavors, when you are fighting to REMOVE the $138 Athletic Fee from your $89K cost of attendance.

Pathetic. Oooooh, my mommy and daddy got double-charged by $138 when they already have season tickets. GTFOOH.

And we alums wonder why we are having to pay these price increases, while the spoiled and entitled students-of-today focus their mock outrage on the horrors of a required athletic fee. And we wonder why our athletic programs have sucked for two decades with such greeeeeat student support...

About to hit 41, but I respectfully ask not to be lumped in with those feckless alumni. Whether it's the carpet-bagging mercenaries who got their degrees and then put all UM in their rearview mirror for life, the local alumni who treat it like a commuter school, or the pear-shaped, jealous weirdo alumni who hate all student-athletic endeavors, they can all get ****ed. And I do know many loyal alumni in their 30s who keep the faith. Far fewer in their 20s, unfortunately.

As far as the students, it felt like they quit sometime in the Shannon era. They really haven't been showing up for about 15 years, even to football games. People will blame the stadium going further off-campus, but I'll never forget that last season at the OB (in what should have been a glorious send-off) the students only somewhat managed to show up for that horrible UVA game (and that was a night game). The noon games? Pretty empty. If it was flat, you could have landed a helicopter in the student section for all those home games. It's gotten worse over time with the move to Hard Rock, sure, but the apathy had already crept in before 2008.

Last edited:

Suites/VIPs. I think it's Field Club or better, but don't quote me on that.

Advertisement

$$$$$$$$$$$

About to hit 41, but I respectfully ask not to be lumped in with those feckless alumni. Whether it's the carpet-bagging mercenaries who got their degrees and then put all UM in their rearview mirror for life, the local alumni who treat it like a commuter school, or the pear-shaped, jealous weirdo alumni who hate all student-athletic endeavors, they can all get ****ed. And I do know many loyal alumni in their 30s who keep the faith. Far fewer in their 20s, unfortunately.

As far as the students, it felt like they quit sometime in the Shannon era. They really haven't been showing up for about 15 years, even to football games. People will blame the stadium going further off-campus, but I'll never forget that last season at the OB (in what should have been a glorious send-off) the students only somewhat managed to show up for that horrible UVA game (and that was a night game). The noon games? Pretty empty. If it was flat, you could have landed a helicopter in the student section for all those home games. It's gotten worse over time with the move to Hard Rock, sure, but the apathy had already crept in before 2008.

Fair enough, I trust you, and there are definitely going to be a few alums under the age of 40 who might have a bit more respect for the program. I just find it to be the height of either hypocrisy or insanity to fight NOT to pay the Athletic Fee while complaining about UM Sports.

Good lord, when I was in the UM MBA program and Law School, I made SURE to have the Athletic Fee ADDED to my bill, even though I was flat broke with HS-educated parents who didn't buy me football/basketball/baseball season tickets.

It's simple. We wonder how we got here. Well, the first step on the road to **** was certainly "I don't want to be required to pay my Athletic Fee because I don't go to all the games."

Last edited:

preach, but a new stadium is the fix-all of twenty years of failure.

Advertisement
Fair enough, I trust you, and there are definitely going to be a few alums under the age of 40 who might have a bit more respect for the program. I just find it to be the height of either hypocrisy or sanity to fight NOT to pay the Athletic Fee while complaining about UM Sports.

Good lord, when I was in the UM MBA program and Law School, I made SURE to have the Athletic Fee ADDED to my bill, even though I was flat broke with HS-educated parents who didn't buy me football/basketball/baseball season tickets.

It's simple. We wonder how we got here. Well, the first step on the road to **** was certainly "I don't want to be required to pay my Athletic Fee because I don't go to all the games."

Agreed. Opting out of paying that pretty meager Athletic Fee is pretty low behavior. It's a giant middle finger to all the student athletes on campus (and especially those who aren't on scholarship).

why would anyone want to take off the athletic fee? its not even expensive and i was there from 06-10 so tuition was even higher than when he went if he started in 04. also, kinda weird to not wanna sit w your friends at games esp when youre in COLLEGE. our best student benefit tbh was the athletic fee.

why would anyone want to take off the athletic fee? its not even expensive and i was there from 06-10 so tuition was even higher than when he went if he started in 04. also, kinda weird to not wanna sit w your friends at games esp when youre in COLLEGE. our best student benefit tbh was the athletic fee.

Agreed. It has barely gone up in price OVER FORTY YEARS. Name anything else in Miami that is just about as cheap today as it was 40 years ago.

Advertisement
Back