Outside The Lines Report

You guys that are trying equivocate racism in Alabamy to the "covert" racism in South Florida or the blatant racism that was behind the criticism of Japicky while you also conveniently forget about Kyle Wrong and Ryan Clement universal hatred are cute. Walk the freakin parking lots at Sun Lifeless and tell me that racism is an issue with our fanbase. Sick of freakin' sayin it, we have the most diverse fanbase in college sports. Does it mean that we don't have a (very small) percentage of racist a$$holes? No. Does it mean that we shouldn't be loud and proud about our fans in comparison to what you'll find at these southern schools that these local kids receive absolutely no blowback for bolting to? No. Micheal "Irving" was just on tv saying that the hood would have kicked his whole family out and he would have been stripped of being a brother if he went anywhere else besides Miami. Now we have people down here shrugging their shoulders and saying "Meh. We have racist fans too. Go get yours in the Es-eee-Seeee, young buck. Go feed da family.". Get your head out your a$$es on this stuff. We blow as a team and a program right now but don't need to be making concessions to the real racist hilljacks that chant "Ess-ehhh-Seee! Esss-ehhh-Seee!" but would go get the gun if little Missy came home with anything but a good ol' whiteboy.

+100000

Advertisement
1998 Graduate of Central High School in Tuscaloosa. Just like the story claims the school was dominant both athletically and academically. It was also 70% African-American at the time. White flight was an issue even then as most any white family with means put their children into private school rather than send them to Central. When the desegregation order came down it was literally overnight when the schools were broken apart. The dichotomy is real when you see the school having to lean heavily on money from parking at the University of Alabama football games, with Bryant-Denny Stadium less than 1 mile away. The University of Alabama has undergone a massive expansion within the last 10 decade going from 15-20k students to now 35k. Within this has been gentrification of the city, pushing low income families into a small corridor of real estate, near the westside of Tuscaloosa which is where Central's students come from. I'm of the opinion that these parents need to take into consideration the historical actions of these schools prior to sending their children there, I would send my son to an HBCU personally. Money talks.

Tad keep trying to find a silver lining and difference between covert and overt racism, but again, as a black man with actual experiences dealing with this demented sickness, I don't care to acknowledge your distinction. South Florida and UM has just as many covertly racist fans as the SEC has overtly racist fans. U aren't better because you've learned how to be more passive-aggressive as a functional racist lol. That is not a sign of intelligence or tolerance that should be honored or acknowledged. I'm admonishing both forms, there's no concessions to be given either way. Also, one black man's opinions are not reflective or all encompassing of the entire group. Let's stop this way of thinking that Charles Barkley, Don Lemon, Stephen A Smith, and Michael Irvin are the voice of the group as a whole. We don't partake in this where white America is concerned now do we.

For those watching or seen ESPN's Outside The Lines report on Tuscaloosa's Central High it makes me wonder about young black athletes fascination with Alabama colleges. I know Coach Connor, he's my frat bro and I can tell you he loves those kids and the institutional and economic racism sickens him. When an African American plays for these institutions he is supporting and bringing joy to the lives of people who are dedicated to maintaining a segregated society, educational institutions and jobs opportunities. I would ask of any Bama player that is African American to look up at those 98,000 white faces and ask himself, "if I weren't a football player, would they want me here"? I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist elsewhere, but it's no more obvious than in Alabama! Bama is an institution that all Black men should be lining up to beat and make every Saturday as miserable for them as they are for the Black people in that state. Just my opinion.

Agree

BS.

There's more "quiet" racism in Pennsylvania than Alabama. Same in most northern states. It's more subtle, but much deeper.

And it cuts both ways. Racism isn't an exclusive "white" thing.

You want some blatant racism? You check out Notre Dame.

Advertisement
UMFarArcher, great 1st and 3rd statements. The 2nd one, not so much. Please explain how "black racism" both impacts U (functional, economically, socially, politically, culturally etc) on a daily and overall basis

Tad keep trying to find a silver lining and difference between covert and overt racism, but again, as a black man with actual experiences dealing with this demented sickness, I don't care to acknowledge your distinction. South Florida and UM has just as many covertly racist fans as the SEC has overtly racist fans. U aren't better because you've learned how to be more passive-aggressive as a functional racist lol. That is not a sign of intelligence or tolerance that should be honored or acknowledged. I'm admonishing both forms, there's no concessions to be given either way. Also, one black man's opinions are not reflective or all encompassing of the entire group. Let's stop this way of thinking that Charles Barkley, Don Lemon, Stephen A Smith, and Michael Irvin are the voice of the group as a whole. We don't partake in this where white America is concerned now do we.

And you keep trying to turn this into some larger societal debate rather than just focus on the reality of our fanbase. Pure demographics, brother. We have an extremely small actual alumni % within our total fanbase and are a school in a large urban area. What's that mean in South Florida? Wayyyyy more minority fans than you're going to find with the southern schools or most any school. So lets not even discuss racism here. Lets look at the fans that show up to games and actually support the team. It's wayyyyyy more diverse than these other schools and regions that some of you are trying to say we're the same as. If you can't acknowledge that alone provides for less racism around our program then you either a) wanna complain about everything b) live in the South yourself and are insulted by this discussion c) sent your kid or support the kids that bolted for the $EC or d) just want to inject race into everything and can't even acknowledge gradations of the problem based on certain things like geography. But yeah, Pembroke Pines or South Miami is just as much a hotbed for racism as <insert any non-college town in the deep South here>. Whatever.

Kyle Wrong was never called, "a dumb ni*#er", or any other racial epithet that suggested an awareness of his race, outside of just being judged rudely based upon his performance as Kyle Wright was. Check and compare Jacory and Kyle's stats, but they are amazingly seen as the two worst UM QB's in recent memory lol!

We act like the stae of Florida ain't racist.....from the panhandle down to Dade County we all know what time it is....

The U has a lot of racist fans....

UF and FSU are located in notorious racist KKK organized areas. South Florida and Miami especially might be one of the least racist areas in America next to New York.

You must be out of your mind??? I've dealt with racism in Miami, and NY...I'll even add Boston, and CT while I'm at it.

Advertisement
the kids dont care because they are going to a team that wins and will get them in the league plus they are football players there most of those frats and sororities will accept them because of that notion, its very sad but thats how it is there

"Inject race"?? Wasn't that apart of the initial post? How did I now do this lol! I don't have to try to do anything, it's a fact that race is a societal problem and that this nation was founded upon it. My sentiments are based upon my scope and experiences. U can't control, set the boundaries of, and dictate the desirable and acceptable narrative of something U don't even have to deal with yourself. My intentions were not encompassed by any of your a, b, c, or d choices. They just illustrated how narrow-minded U truly are. But keep spewing how misinformed but yet entitled u feel, I'll be here to correct all of it when appropriate. Diversity doesn't necessarily constitute less covert or institutional racism. Integration/diversity is actually the driving force behind it. White people are not the only people who ascribe to the indoctrination of white supremacy, even many black people do via miseducation.

I live here in B'ham, and I concur with your sentiments. I'm not gonna go too far into detail, but lets just say not everyone is welcome here. Makes me sick. I've been here 5 years. My resume is all over the place trying to get out.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/billboard-white-genocide-group-ala-article-1.2074126

lived there for seven years and I feel you. While there are great people there (Alabama), that place is no where I ever wanted to raise my children. I also have plenty of examples which I too will not go into detail about.

Advertisement
Modern racism is a social and institutionalized power structure. At the individual level people can be discriminatory and prejudice. The system of racism that exists today is covert not overt. A more accurate term that can be used to describe what many individuals from historically oppressed groups experience is "Microaggressions", there are overt and covert forms of microaggressions.

Sorry for allowing the professor to come out of me...this just happens to be my area of specialty.

Also...to **** with Bama!

We act like the stae of Florida ain't racist.....from the panhandle down to Dade County we all know what time it is....

The U has a lot of racist fans....

UF and FSU are located in notorious racist KKK organized areas. South Florida and Miami especially might be one of the least racist areas in America next to New York.

You must be out of your mind??? I've dealt with racism in Miami, and NY...I'll even add Boston, and CT while I'm at it.

+100000000
They haven't experien it... So they just draw up conclusions from a false sense of reality... "Just because Miami is a melting pot, there can't be any racism..." That's false...

Advertisement
Try the Midwest. There's a ton of $ucknuts, Michiganders, Wiskies, Chigagolanders, and such where I live in SW FL. These people are more racist than anyone I grew up with in Ole Virginny. Don't forget Ohio is bordered by Kentucky and West Virginny. Midwest is Redneck Central just like these Southern states.

Don't know why this is shocking to anyone. The sororities & frats have been segregated forever at Alabama. Last year a fuss was made at one of the sororities (DG I think) & they finally rushed/admitted a black woman. It's my understanding it's not that way at the other SEC schools but Alabama has clung to the old traditions of previous generations.

You guys are absolutely trippin if you honestly believe Miami is just as/more racist than the entire state of Alabama. First of all, the University of Miami is one of the most diverse schools there is.

Racism isn't just going to go away. It took 100 years after slavery was abolished to pass the civil rights act. It will probably take another 30-50 years for racism to almost be completely absent in the US. But as it stands right now, Miami definitely is one of the least racist places in the country.

Advertisement
Back