Outside The Lines Report

For those watching or seen ESPN's Outside The Lines report on Tuscaloosa's Central High it makes me wonder about young black athletes fascination with Alabama colleges. I know Coach Connor, he's my frat bro and I can tell you he loves those kids and the institutional and economic racism sickens him. When an African American plays for these institutions he is supporting and bringing joy to the lives of people who are dedicated to maintaining a segregated society, educational institutions and jobs opportunities. I would ask of any Bama player that is African American to look up at those 98,000 white faces and ask himself, "if I weren't a football player, would they want me here"? I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist elsewhere, but it's no more obvious than in Alabama! Bama is an institution that all Black men should be lining up to beat and make every Saturday as miserable for them as they are for the Black people in that state. Just my opinion.

Advertisement
Out of state minority coaches for whatever reason simply have not played this card against the SEC to a big enough extent. It wouldn't be like they're lying to a kid from South Florida or the west coast or northeast when they ask them to think about the fanbase and areas just outside of campus. I mean we've had these same clowns trying to scare moms and grandmas for years about the Wild West that is Miami and how junior could get shot on the mean streets of Coral Gables at any time. Would it be so out of line for Ice or Baez or Beard to bring up Joe Jack with the Confederate flag flying above his Bama flag on his truck the next time they're down here trying to pull a kid from a suburb like Coconut Creek let alone the inner city?

Last edited:
The whole sec..... The whole entire sec. The problem is "gotta feed the FAM" thinking that signing bonus lasts forever

A lot of black folks liked it in the big house. A lot of black folks liked it on the plantation. A lot of black folks sold their brothers into slavery.

We are where we are, because of who we are. The white man is the least of a black man's problem.

The kids might have an excuse. They are young and dumb. Their parents/guardians don't.

Advertisement
We act like the stae of Florida ain't racist.....from the panhandle down to Dade County we all know what time it is....

The U has a lot of racist fans....

I just watched the OTL piece and it was trully eye opening that this ESPN expose was so candide about the darling of the $EC.

Here is an article mentioned in the ESPN OTL piece.
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12241989/top-alabama-recruit-lester-cotton-carries-hope-central-high-school

An the fact that BAMA has a statue built to commemorate Gov George Wallace standing in the doorway to block the intergration of the University by preventing the first black students from enrolling at BAMA. I wonder if the infamous memorial of " Stand in the school house door" is part of a recruits official visit tour of the BAMÀ campus.

Article about G Wallace
http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/press-past/2013/06/11/george-wallace-stood-in-a-doorway-at-the-university-of-alabama-50-years-ago-today

Go Canes

3a548fb2-66d0-4b65-bdf1-9085166a98b3.jpg

Last edited:
GREAT POST Gator Hatar! Great response Roe 15th. Black athletes shouldn't attend any of these institutions whether the school is/has been covertly or overtly racist in the present or past. UM has a ton of racist fans as well.
Fivecent, your post is untrue and a pure example of cognitive dissonance and Stockholm's Syndrome at work. U are coping by lying to yourself. Who taught u the black history that you think U know? There's your problem.

There's a vast different between a trickling of racist fans and a school that has deep historic ties in racism.

Advertisement
http://blog.al.com/live/2009/11/university_of_alabama_plaza_wo.html

University of Alabama plaza would remember 'Stand in the Schoolhouse Door'
AL.com and Press-Register staff By AL.com and Press-Register staff
on November 06, 2009 at 8:43 AM,

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- University of Alabama officials on Thursday presented plans to commemorate Foster Auditorium's civil rights history with memorial plaza in front of the building, the Tuscaloosa News reports.

A square monument inscribed with the building's civil rights history would be in the center of the plaza and granite pavers inscribed with other events in Foster's long history would line the walkway to the building, though officials said the plan is not finished.

As part of a $15 million renovation to Foster, the plaza will memorialize former Gov. George Wallace's "Stand in the Schoolhouse Door," a symbolic attempt to block two black students, Vivian Malone Jones of Mobile, Ala., and James Hood, from enrolling at UA in 1963.
"The plaza will be integral to the renovation as we go forward," said UA President Robert Witt who, in a rare move, personally outlined the plan for a building project to trustees.

Trustees are not asked to vote on the proposed plaza at this week's trustee meeting; rather, Witt said the presentation Thursday begins the public comment period of the plans.

Read more details of the plan in the complete Tuscaloosa News report.

There's a vast different between a trickling of racist fans and a school that has deep historic ties in racism.[/

It's a difference just not as vast that you think.....just ask Jacory Harris......

Last edited:
There is a difference, but both need to be confronted the same way. Black people don't have time for finding quantitative measures of racism lol! If it's in u in the least bit...u shouldn't be effed with in the least bit. A little evil is enough evil, our history and American experience provides, validates, and necessitates this approach to interaction and especially business dealings. Sorry

We act like the stae of Florida ain't racist.....from the panhandle down to Dade County we all know what time it is....

The U has a lot of racist fans....

UF and FSU are located in notorious racist KKK organized areas. South Florida and Miami especially might be one of the least racist areas in America next to New York.

Advertisement
A lot of black folks liked it in the big house. A lot of black folks liked it on the plantation. A lot of black folks sold their brothers into slavery.

We are where we are, because of who we are. The white man is the least of a black man's problem.

The kids might have an excuse. They are young and dumb. Their parents/guardians don't.

Bull$hit all the way around.

Out of state minority coaches for whatever reason simply have not played this card against the SEC to a big enough extent. It wouldn't be like they're lying to a kid from South Florida or the west coast or northeast when they ask them to think about the fanbase and areas just outside of campus. I mean we've had these same clowns trying to scare moms and grandmas for years about the Wild West that is Miami and how junior could get shot on the mean streets of Coral Gables at any time. Would it be so out of line for Ice or Baez or Beard to bring up Joe Jack with the Confederate flag flying above his Bama flag on his truck the next time they're down here trying to pull a kid from a suburb like Coconut Creek let alone the inner city?
accidentally down thumbed this sorry.

FSU and UF are in areas notorious for *overt* racism. South Florida is a place more aligned with covert racism. This may be a huge difference to those who do not have to experience racism, but the distinction between the two forms is not very significant if you are black. It comes down to whether one would rather be made readily aware of his antagonist and distractor, or be caught off guard by him. I'd rather know, so in its functionality, I prefer the dumb overt type myself. So again, there's no virtue or redeeming quality in being just a little or "not that racist as someone else is.

Advertisement
This is an issue that I realized last year when the story about the girl being rejected by sororities because she was African America came out. It sickens me. Amari Cooper is nothing but property to them but the only reason they accept him is because he balls out. If Amari Cooper was just there as an every day student, it would be a lot worse.

Also, to the poster that says that Florida has racist fans- Miami probably has the least of the Big 3. Once you leave Broward county going north, you're in the deep south. Here on campus, there might be some racism I'm sure, but nowhere near the amount of any of these other schools. UM prides itself on diversity. These kids should be informed of that.

As bad as our fans are, we aren't known as racists. The news outlets and media pundits love to take jabs at Miami fans, but they should focus more on bigot fans than bandwagon fans. Every time Alabama, Auburn or any of these schools with deep racist ties wins, they should follow up with a shot at the racist fans. Literally so disgusted by it. It's not ok.

You guys that are trying equivocate racism in Alabamy to the "covert" racism in South Florida or the blatant racism that was behind the criticism of Japicky while you also conveniently forget about Kyle Wrong and Ryan Clement universal hatred are cute. Walk the freakin parking lots at Sun Lifeless and tell me that racism is an issue with our fanbase. Sick of freakin' sayin it, we have the most diverse fanbase in college sports. Does it mean that we don't have a (very small) percentage of racist a$$holes? No. Does it mean that we shouldn't be loud and proud about our fans in comparison to what you'll find at these southern schools that these local kids receive absolutely no blowback for bolting to? No. Micheal "Irving" was just on tv saying that the hood would have kicked his whole family out and he would have been stripped of being a brother if he went anywhere else besides Miami. Now we have people down here shrugging their shoulders and saying "Meh. We have racist fans too. Go get yours in the Es-eee-Seeee, young buck. Go feed da family.". Get your head out your a$$es on this stuff. We blow as a team and a program right now but don't need to be making concessions to the real racist hilljacks that chant "Ess-ehhh-Seee! Esss-ehhh-Seee!" but would go get the gun if little Missy came home with anything but a good ol' whiteboy.

Last edited:
You guys that are trying equivocate racism in Alabamy to the "covert" racism in South Florida or the blatant racism that was behind the criticism of Japicky while you also conveniently forget about Kyle Wrong and Ryan Clement universal hatred are cute. Walk the freakin parking lots at Sun Lifeless and tell me that racism is an issue with our fanbase. Sick of freakin' sayin it, we have the most diverse fanbase in college sports. Does it mean that we don't have a (very small) percentage of racist a$$holes? No. Does it mean that we shouldn't be loud and proud about our fans in comparison to what you'll find at these southern schools that these local kids receive absolutely no blowback for bolting to? No. Micheal "Irving" was just on tv saying that the hood would have kicked his whole family out and he would have been stripped of being a brother if he went anywhere else besides Miami. Now we have people down here shrugging their shoulders and saying "Meh. We have racist fans too. Go get yours in the Es-eee-Seeee, young buck. Go feed da family.". Get your head out your a$$es on this stuff. We blow as a team and a program right now but don't need to be making concessions to the real racist hilljacks that chant "Ess-ehhh-Seee! Esss-ehhh-Seee!" but would go get the gun if little Missy came home with anything but a good ol' whiteboy.

Nailed it!

i live in mobile,al. been here for over twenty yrs and im white. i found there is more reverse raceism here then anywhere. i came from new orleans and it aint like that there. i no im nit gonna sit around and whine about. it cause i have to keep goin to feed the fam no wat i mean.

Advertisement
Back